Ghostbusters clippard mould making: help

Kormier

Well, I'm almost down to my last Minimatic Clippard (I got a bunch a few years back) so I would like to produce resin casts of them for use on future proton pack builds. I have very limited experience with mould making and I would like to know what would be the best method to make a durable mould of the clippard for repeat casting. My educated guess is that given its shape it would probably be best to do a 2 parts mold with the clippard being horizontal (so that the part line is along the length, from top to bottom.)
I'll use one of the smooth-on liquid rubber for the mold.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks, as always!:)

Personally, I'd make it a one piece mold, with the Clippard sitting upright. It is (basically) a cylinder, and since the bottom of the Clippard is resting on whatever prop you are attaching it to, it doesn't need super-detail. Makes it easy to fill the mold and sand or file any excess off the bottom of the finished casting. That's what I did and it worked great.

Thanks. That is good to know. I thought that maybe a one piece would be a problem because of the small undercut under the "cap".

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back