GF, SDS and CRProps helmet (Pics)

mike d

A couple of weeks ago a friend bought himself a SDS stunt helmet we agreed on
meeting up and compare some of our helmets. Until then i had only seen the SDS helmet in pics so i was anxious to look at it. We noticed quite a few differences between the helmets. Some might be old news, but interesting anyway.
We carefully tried to line up the helmets as close as possible and so that they would be in the same angle.

Anyway, have a look for yourselves..Im sure my friend will chime in later with some more hires pics.

anhcompare_all.jpg

-Mikael

First time I've seen these three laid out for simultaneous comparison so clearly. There are some striking differences I never noticed before, especially in the shot from below.

Thanks for these excellent shots. :thumbsup

Let me add some hires images, Mikael :)

anhcompare_sds_gino_front.jpg

anhcompare_sds_gino_45.jpg

anhcompare_under_close.jpg

Except from the last compare of the front vocoder, all the photos were shot with some distance to the helmets. I used a 200mm lens for these last two hires images in order to minimize distortion.

It's quite interesting to finally see some of the differences everybody has been debating on this forum. Most revealing is the very different curvature of the "chin" of my SDS, especially how it radically turns downwards where it's been cut. That's very different to how the GINO helmet is shaped. Also, the "plane" that the mic tips lie in on the SDS have a slightly upward angle relative to the GINO.

Please note that even though we've been as careful as possible to line up the helmets, there are differences due to us not matching angles properly. It was really hard doing that on an object as organic as this. We tried to match the faces for the frontal images, and top helmet for the back angles. Do not compare angles across those to parts - since they ofcourse won't match up.

Hope you guys like the little comparison, though. It was done with all of the best intentions to show off three beautiful helmets. I tried to purchase a TE earlier this month, but I simply couldn't afford one. I wish we'd had one of those for the comparison. I'm on my way to buy a AP now, so we'd might have to do a new compare when that happens :)

Cheers guys,
Rune

Nice shots Rune. Btw, he took the shots for the first pic too. I just gathered them and made them line up in Photoshop.

I know this has been discussed before, but it is clearly now to me atleast that the cap/back piece look completely different and cannot be from the orginal molds.
As you also can see the SDS has got the "swoop" in the rear. There were some pics posted in the past that did'nt have the swoop, but i guess that's just perspective that creating an illusion.
The GF looks clearly smaller than the others too.

Nice photos.

What I would love to see is this same comparison with the Christies helmets. I would like to see the profiles of the real deal against the AA, Gino, and GF helmets.

Thanks for posting the pictures,

-CWR

Yup... old news around here.

SDS has a flared out area under the face, the chin detail has been chopped off. I beleive the concensous is that it was done because it's easier to get off the mold.

The ears... have some similarities but they're drastically different below the "circle" part

The cap... who the hell knows :) It shares some similarities but the back of the thing is completely wrong.

The SDS is nice but it just doesnt match any of the real hdpe helmets.

The GF is wrong because its altered some what. It came from the same helmet Gino's helmet came from. It should be the same, but GF apparently changed it a little. TE/Gino/RTmod/Meatsock/etc are from real helmets. The SDS may or may not be from original molds. There is a good chance that its from some of the original molds, but had some changes done to it. Some speculate that its from left over parts from prototype helmet peices. Thats a possibility as well. They're all really nice helmets though.

SDS are kind of in question around here. They're very nice helmets but they dont match up in some ways. Possibily due to mold damage. As you can see on the front view the SDS aint too bad but it has its issues.

I should add, that the Gino helmet there appears to be the altered one that he did. He also has one thats not changed and its incredible looking.

i contribute to the topic with the comparison between the AP and GF helmet.

the AP
img2892b2oy.jpg

img2874b4kl.jpg

img2380b28iy.jpg

AP <------------> GF
img2865b2hp.jpg

img2866b1ws.jpg

img2862b1fy.jpg

img2860b8in.jpg

img1516b7it.jpg

Thanks JCF.
That helmet is the older style of helmet I used to make and is very different than the newest version for a ton of reasons.

Here are some pics of the newest version.

stuntos3.JPG

originalcomparison.JPG

anhstunt_interior2.JPG

Good comparisons. Thanks for sharing.

I just love Gino's helmets, def the best out there by a mile IMO.

Cheers

Joe

Originally posted by Jackie_Chan_Fan@Jan 25 2006, 06:05 PM
Yup... old news around here.

I am fully aware of that, and I've been following the endless SDS discussions on the forum myself. We've just been tired of seeing the crappy images people use to compare helmets - taken with different lenses/cameras and differing distances and angles to the objects. We just tried to improve on that, but obviously have a limited collection to start from. Unfortunately, there's no chance for any of us to get near one of the originals, so this was the best we could do. Hope they can be useful, though...

Rune

No matter how you cut it or what way you try to twist, distort or use circular logic, I don't know how ANYONE with even the slightest bit of reasoning capability could argue against Gino's work being BY FAR the best representation of what is seen on screen. I am sure the usual suspects will come in and try to point out that these pics are much to clear and if you only distort and use the blur tool, you can see the AA is far superior to the other two, but again, to me the pics and Gino's efforts speak more than all the floundering and excuses that could possibly be made. Best of all, as Gino himself has pointed out, the pics posted are not even of his latest and most improved effort.

Mike and Rune, thanks for these comparisons. Just another nail in the coffin although I am sure those who have crowbars for mouthes will be here soon enough to work at prying that nail out.

Edited for clarity and because English must not be my first language.

Originally posted by Brak's Buddy@Jan 25 2006, 06:59 PM
No matter how you cut it or what way you try to twist, distort or use circular logic, I don't know how ANYONE with even the slightest bit of reasoning capability could argue that Gino's work is BY FAR the best representation of what is seen on screen.  I am sure the usual suspects will come in and try to point out that these pics are much to clear and if you only distort and use the blur tool, you can see the AA is far superior to the other two, but again, to me the pics and Gino's efforts speak more than all the floundering and excuses that could possibly be made.  Best of all, as Gino himself has pointed out, the pics posted are not even of his latest and most improved effort.

Mike and Rune, thanks for these comparisons.  Just another nail in the coffin although I am sure those who have crowbars for mouthes will be here soon enough to work at prying that nail out.
[snapback]1167894[/snapback]​

Brak's...sorry...are you saying Gino's helmet is good or bad in all that?

It just seems like you criticized Gino's helmet for not being the most accurate, argued against those who would suggest AA's helmet was more accurate, and then praised Gino's craftsmanship all in the same paragraph. So I'm a little confused.

Great pix guys. Nice to see these helmets photographed in the same space.

Cheers.
TJ

I think he was being sarcastic. Don't feel bad though, it took me two reads for it it make sense to me as well. ;)

Great comparison pics though, thanks for posting these guys.

Apparently I need to work on my proofreading skills.... and maybe grammar too. I meant to say that no one could argue against Gino's hemet being the best representation. His helmet is clearly the closest to what we see in the movie. The second sentence was just me being a smartass about those who undoubtably will argue and come up with SOME reason why the AA helmet is clearly better.... because they have nothing better to do.

To make sure I am clear, from what I see in the pics above there can be no doubt that Gino's work is easily the best of the best.

Sorry for the confusion.

Hi Braks,

So if you are saying that Gino's helmet is the closest to that screen helmet ? (as it should be as it is cast from that screen helmet pictured and it does look fantastic no denying it :) ) how do you rate the TE compared to a Gino? I thought the Gino was from the same TE moulds. Maybe a bit of clarity on that as surely if they are from the same mould they should be the same or extremely similar.

Is it just Gino's attention to detail on trimming and construction you feel puts it out in front of the TE.

Cheers Chris.

P.S. Gino you aren't allowed to answer my question on how you rate the TE to the Gino because I think I know your answer on who's is best :p

Originally posted by Brak's Buddy@Jan 25 2006, 07:20 PM
See above post.  Sorry too much coffee and chocolate today.
[snapback]1167916[/snapback]​

Hi Braks,

We must be posting pretty much almost at the same time as each other I posted my question to you and you posted a reply I then edited my post and you posted again.

I just stuck in a wee question about your thoughts on the merits of a Gino as compared to a TE. Just wondering what your thoughts were as you seem to see the Gino as the best helmet going.

I musn't have had enough coffe today :lol

Cheers Chris.

Mike and rune - thanks for taking the time to set up and photograph those 3 helmets - finally a direct, side-by side comparison that provides a proper reflection of size, proportions, details on all of these 3 helmets - well done.

I've owned each of the 3 helmets in question at some point in time - and I really feel that your photos are a true representation of how these 3 helmets relate to each other. While they are all nice helmets - each w/ their own pros and cons, each w/ their own history/background - I do have to say that: hands-down, the Gino is my favorite. It just looks closest to the real deal to me... and that's the older version. The new and improved version is even a step closer to what the ideal ST replica helmet should be... at least in my book...

Too bad, you didn't have a TE helmet at hand - would have been very interesting, how that one compares.

Brak's that is a very good assessment.
Gino's newest is the BEST I've ever laid eyes on.

Thanks guys for the pics. The differences are very glaring between the helmets.
As JCF pointed out it's been discussed but these are the best comparison pics yet...

Good stuff.. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back