GF, SDS and CRProps helmet (Pics)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by mike d, Jan 25, 2006.

1. mike d

mike d Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago a friend bought himself a SDS stunt helmet we agreed on
    meeting up and compare some of our helmets. Until then i had only seen the SDS helmet in pics so i was anxious to look at it. We noticed quite a few differences between the helmets. Some might be old news, but interesting anyway.
    We carefully tried to line up the helmets as close as possible and so that they would be in the same angle.

Anyway, have a look for yourselves..Im sure my friend will chime in later with some more hires pics.

[​IMG]

-Mikael

2. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

First time I've seen these three laid out for simultaneous comparison so clearly. There are some striking differences I never noticed before, especially in the shot from below.

Thanks for these excellent shots. :thumbsup

3. superrune

superrune Well-Known Member

Let me add some hires images, Mikael :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Except from the last compare of the front vocoder, all the photos were shot with some distance to the helmets. I used a 200mm lens for these last two hires images in order to minimize distortion.

It's quite interesting to finally see some of the differences everybody has been debating on this forum. Most revealing is the very different curvature of the "chin" of my SDS, especially how it radically turns downwards where it's been cut. That's very different to how the GINO helmet is shaped. Also, the "plane" that the mic tips lie in on the SDS have a slightly upward angle relative to the GINO.

Please note that even though we've been as careful as possible to line up the helmets, there are differences due to us not matching angles properly. It was really hard doing that on an object as organic as this. We tried to match the faces for the frontal images, and top helmet for the back angles. Do not compare angles across those to parts - since they ofcourse won't match up.

Hope you guys like the little comparison, though. It was done with all of the best intentions to show off three beautiful helmets. I tried to purchase a TE earlier this month, but I simply couldn't afford one. I wish we'd had one of those for the comparison. I'm on my way to buy a AP now, so we'd might have to do a new compare when that happens :)

Cheers guys,
    Rune

4. mike d

mike d Well-Known Member

Nice shots Rune. Btw, he took the shots for the first pic too. I just gathered them and made them line up in Photoshop.

I know this has been discussed before, but it is clearly now to me atleast that the cap/back piece look completely different and cannot be from the orginal molds.
    As you also can see the SDS has got the "swoop" in the rear. There were some pics posted in the past that did'nt have the swoop, but i guess that's just perspective that creating an illusion.
    The GF looks clearly smaller than the others too.

5. CWR

CWR Active Member

Nice photos.

What I would love to see is this same comparison with the Christies helmets. I would like to see the profiles of the real deal against the AA, Gino, and GF helmets.

Thanks for posting the pictures,

-CWR

6. Jackie_Chan_Fan

Jackie_Chan_Fan New Member

Yup... old news around here.

SDS has a flared out area under the face, the chin detail has been chopped off. I beleive the concensous is that it was done because it's easier to get off the mold.

The ears... have some similarities but they're drastically different below the "circle" part

The cap... who the hell knows :) It shares some similarities but the back of the thing is completely wrong.

The SDS is nice but it just doesnt match any of the real hdpe helmets.

The GF is wrong because its altered some what. It came from the same helmet Gino's helmet came from. It should be the same, but GF apparently changed it a little. TE/Gino/RTmod/Meatsock/etc are from real helmets. The SDS may or may not be from original molds. There is a good chance that its from some of the original molds, but had some changes done to it. Some speculate that its from left over parts from prototype helmet peices. Thats a possibility as well. They're all really nice helmets though.

SDS are kind of in question around here. They're very nice helmets but they dont match up in some ways. Possibily due to mold damage. As you can see on the front view the SDS aint too bad but it has its issues.

I should add, that the Gino helmet there appears to be the altered one that he did. He also has one thats not changed and its incredible looking.

7. skyit

skyit Well-Known Member

i contribute to the topic with the comparison between the AP and GF helmet.

the AP
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AP <------------> GF
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. GINO

GINO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks JCF.
    That helmet is the older style of helmet I used to make and is very different than the newest version for a ton of reasons.

Here are some pics of the newest version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JoeR

JoeR Sr Member

Good comparisons. Thanks for sharing.

I just love Gino's helmets, def the best out there by a mile IMO.

Cheers

Joe

10. superrune

superrune Well-Known Member

I am fully aware of that, and I've been following the endless SDS discussions on the forum myself. We've just been tired of seeing the crappy images people use to compare helmets - taken with different lenses/cameras and differing distances and angles to the objects. We just tried to improve on that, but obviously have a limited collection to start from. Unfortunately, there's no chance for any of us to get near one of the originals, so this was the best we could do. Hope they can be useful, though...

Rune

11. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

No matter how you cut it or what way you try to twist, distort or use circular logic, I don't know how ANYONE with even the slightest bit of reasoning capability could argue against Gino's work being BY FAR the best representation of what is seen on screen. I am sure the usual suspects will come in and try to point out that these pics are much to clear and if you only distort and use the blur tool, you can see the AA is far superior to the other two, but again, to me the pics and Gino's efforts speak more than all the floundering and excuses that could possibly be made. Best of all, as Gino himself has pointed out, the pics posted are not even of his latest and most improved effort.

Mike and Rune, thanks for these comparisons. Just another nail in the coffin although I am sure those who have crowbars for mouthes will be here soon enough to work at prying that nail out.

Edited for clarity and because English must not be my first language.

12. jeezycreezy

jeezycreezy Well-Known Member

Brak's...sorry...are you saying Gino's helmet is good or bad in all that?

It just seems like you criticized Gino's helmet for not being the most accurate, argued against those who would suggest AA's helmet was more accurate, and then praised Gino's craftsmanship all in the same paragraph. So I'm a little confused.

Great pix guys. Nice to see these helmets photographed in the same space.

Cheers.
    TJ

13. Dean O

Dean O Well-Known Member

I think he was being sarcastic. Don't feel bad though, it took me two reads for it it make sense to me as well. ;)

Great comparison pics though, thanks for posting these guys.

14. Art Andrews

Apparently I need to work on my proofreading skills.... and maybe grammar too. I meant to say that no one could argue against Gino's hemet being the best representation. His helmet is clearly the closest to what we see in the movie. The second sentence was just me being a smartass about those who undoubtably will argue and come up with SOME reason why the AA helmet is clearly better.... because they have nothing better to do.

To make sure I am clear, from what I see in the pics above there can be no doubt that Gino's work is easily the best of the best.

Sorry for the confusion.

15. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

Hi Braks,

So if you are saying that Gino's helmet is the closest to that screen helmet ? (as it should be as it is cast from that screen helmet pictured and it does look fantastic no denying it :) ) how do you rate the TE compared to a Gino? I thought the Gino was from the same TE moulds. Maybe a bit of clarity on that as surely if they are from the same mould they should be the same or extremely similar.

Is it just Gino's attention to detail on trimming and construction you feel puts it out in front of the TE.

Cheers Chris.

P.S. Gino you aren't allowed to answer my question on how you rate the TE to the Gino because I think I know your answer on who's is best :p

16. Art Andrews

See above post. Sorry too much coffee and chocolate today.

17. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Excellent comparison Mike. :)

Dave

18. voice in the crowd

Hi Braks,

We must be posting pretty much almost at the same time as each other I posted my question to you and you posted a reply I then edited my post and you posted again.

I just stuck in a wee question about your thoughts on the merits of a Gino as compared to a TE. Just wondering what your thoughts were as you seem to see the Gino as the best helmet going.

I musn't have had enough coffe today :lol

Cheers Chris.

19. marcvs66

marcvs66 New Member

Mike and rune - thanks for taking the time to set up and photograph those 3 helmets - finally a direct, side-by side comparison that provides a proper reflection of size, proportions, details on all of these 3 helmets - well done.

I've owned each of the 3 helmets in question at some point in time - and I really feel that your photos are a true representation of how these 3 helmets relate to each other. While they are all nice helmets - each w/ their own pros and cons, each w/ their own history/background - I do have to say that: hands-down, the Gino is my favorite. It just looks closest to the real deal to me... and that's the older version. The new and improved version is even a step closer to what the ideal ST replica helmet should be... at least in my book...

Too bad, you didn't have a TE helmet at hand - would have been very interesting, how that one compares.

20. TKBIG

TKBIG Active Member

Brak's that is a very good assessment.
    Gino's newest is the BEST I've ever laid eyes on.

Thanks guys for the pics. The differences are very glaring between the helmets.
    As JCF pointed out it's been discussed but these are the best comparison pics yet...

Good stuff.. :thumbsup

21. CWR

CWR Active Member

The main difference between the TE and the newer Gino is the bumpy cap and back. There was some clean up done on TE's moulds after he got initial complaints about the bumpiness of the cap and back (thats what I heard) so he smoothed out the bumps on the mould. Gino apparently has an un altered version of TE's 1st helmet casting.

22. CWR

CWR Active Member

Here is my comparison from a while back of an AA/TE Stunt. The TE is on the right.

23. voice in the crowd

Hi CWR,

TE has now retired but TE would provide smooth or bumpy cap depending on what you requested (both my TE kits are bumpy :) the way I wanted them).

So just for the sake of discusssion if you compared a bumpy TE to the Gino what is it that makes it better than the TE? Just curious mainly because I am about to start work on the TE kits and want to get as accurate as I can.

I just want to know what features shine out on the Gino to make it the best. After all it is the small things that stormy experts notice that add to the final helmets appearance.

Just would like to know if there was anything that someone is seeing that I am not so I can use that info for construction purposes.

I just can't see much difference from the TE and the Gino appart from the excellent attention to detail Gino has put in on assembly.

Cheers Chris.

24. mike d

mike d Well-Known Member

I also agree that Gino's new helmet represents a screenused helmet best.
    I also think Gino's older helmet wins compared to the GF and SDS. It just looks right.

However as Rune pointed out there has been so many comparison pictures posted in different lightsettings and angles so it's been hard to say which one is THE best cause the images simply dont match up and it's also difficult to compare 2 different items from different photographs especially when they are blurry. Let's hope that these new pics gives a little clearer view even if this issue has been discussed to death before:)

25. voice in the crowd

I don't think TE cleaned his original mould I think he made a second back cap mould then smoothed that (if thats not true then someone please correct me).

TE made the bumpy cap on request and told me people prefered the smooth and so it wasn't requested as much.

Also I don't know about the older TE helmets as I received mine from his last batch before he retired but they are certainly not paper thin they are solid. I had heard they were thin but was well impressed at the quality and strength of TE's product. Don't get me wrong I have a GF also and it is much thicker but suffers from softer features because of this.

I did get two bumpy cap kits and each and every feature on each helmets match each other perfectly and the bumpy features appear to be the same as the Gino.

Never the less Gino's helmet pictured is undeniably the closest to that screen used helmet also pictured.

Cheers Chris.

26. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Braks,you are a sick,sick man :lol

Steve

I too commend the work of Gino being the "best of the best" . I am SOOO glad that I never fell into the AA camp early on. The debacle he's gotten himself into with LFL and soon to be fans is one more reason to not endorse his helmets and now armor.

Screen used my *

Steve

27. CWR

CWR Active Member

Chris,

You are correct. I just talked to Matt and he said the last batch of helmets he made had some requests for the bumpy cap and back. I wish I had asked him to make me one before he retired the moulds. Post some pics when your finished putting them together.

-CWR

By the way Braks, That was that was an awesome post. :lol :lol :lol

28. Jackie_Chan_Fan

HAHAHAHA Braks is a funny bastard. :) I love that. It should be posted perminantly on the rpf on top :)

Gino: No problem. I call it as i see it. You're attention to detail is amazing. Now please send me one ;)

Also to the original poster: The pics were great.

AND finally.. TE retiring? Isnt this like the 100 time he's retired? I wish him well, but he always comes back ;)

29. synasp

synasp Sr Member

I removed the bulk of the hijacking posts. Please keep this on-topic guys. :rolleyes

30. Art Andrews

OK, back to being serious, while the bumpy back/cap is a BIG new addition to Gino's newest helmets, that is not the biggest difference to me between the TE and the Gino. This is JUST my opinion, but to me the biggest difference between Gino's work and TE's is a matter or quality, care and craftsmanship. The only person I have seen even come close to the same level of quality (although not acuracy) is AP. I am not bagging on TE but the pride Gino takes in his work is simply unmatched in my opinion.

31. Trallis

Trallis Well-Known Member

just a reminder.. the current AP helmet is much different than the one he used to sell without armor on e-bay.

32. JediCarl

JediCarl Well-Known Member

Gino wins. Easily.

33. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

pretty much. ;)

Gino one day i will have one... aaaaaaaaaaaargh.

34. lambotour

lambotour Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree 100%. His work is extraordinary and a true screen used repro. I am impressed with his attention to detail. Great work Gino. :thumbsup

35. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for the GREAT Comparison Pics Mikael, Rune... :)

Those are the best I have seen yet....

36. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

Dont agree with Gino being the best made. A 2nd gen casting is better than a first? TE made his helmets look like the real thing. Sloppily built as this is what people wanted. Just dont see how a thicker, softer pulled helmet can be better really. :unsure

And yes, TE is retired. He is in a bad place today as he just signed his divorce papers and he is really not into SW anymore at all. He said the recasters, people not caring, the AA camp stupidly defending their stance in the face of the truth and someone ruining his cap and back mold and not caring about it or offering to replace it finally just made him say, and I quote: time to go, all my work is done here.

JJ

37. Art Andrews

Not trying to start a TE Vs Gino fight but just out of curiosity, have you compared a TE helmet to a Gino in person? I have and your assessment that the Gino helmet is softer couldn't be more incorrect. From what I have seen Gino's pulls have alwys been as sharp if not sharper in all the correct areas than TE's helmets, especially the ears.

I also do not agree with your statement of Gino's helmets being a 2nd gen casting. I would call the GF a 2nd Gen, maybe even 3rd, but the Gino helmet did not follow the same path.

38. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

Yes, I have seen them side by side and there is no comparison. The TE is MUCH more detailed. The Gino molds are still formed and then taken off of skins, not molds made off of molds. No way they can be the same detail at all.

JJ

39. Art Andrews

Interesting... cause I would say the exact same thing from what I saw, just in favor of the Gino helmet....

40. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Regarding TE's retirement,..if you let the actions of others drive you to levels of anxiety that no one should be driven to then maybe it was definitely time for him to bow out. Granted that final pic he sent along to be posted could've and should've been done with taste. Considering he's unofficially known as the grandfather of fan Stormtroopers,wouldn't you want to go out with grace and style rather than get the last word in? :angel I thought it was tasteless and childish.

I personally don't let anyone or anything run,or influence my life into such negative depth's. Hasn't this been TE's second divorce? I remember him having marital troubles a long while back. If he let this "hobby" break up a marriage he's a fool. I personally hate to see anyone go through such turmoil and am sorry for his situation,but if the dreaded ABS Sunblock brought it on then call me speechless.

Nobody here has to like my comments on the issue of TE,I call 'em as I see 'em. Let the barrage of comments begin :p

Steve

41. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Guys... leave the comments about TE's personal life out of this. As a (self)-banned member he is not around to comment and keep things factual.

If you want to discuss the buckets, then by all means go for it. The commentary regarding TE and his real-life situations is in really bad taste and must stop.

Thanks for keeping this thread On-Topic going forward. :thumbsup

Lonnie

42. Jackie_Chan_Fan

They're all nice helmets dam it.

(uh had to think of something cause i edited out my TE question)

43. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

Actually JCF I think you said it best with your "had to say something" comment.

They are all VERY nice helmets and I think it just comes down to personal preference, what you like you'll buy, what you don't you won't. Personally I wouldn't mind all all of them, each has it's own uniqueness.

44. Art Andrews

Talk about helmets huh.. well, Lonnie, the helmet in your avatar CLEARLY is NOT from the original molds.... :lol Sorry. Sorry. Don't ban me.

45. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

Ban him, ban him.

:lol

46. Jackie_Chan_Fan

Funny Sidekick #1 - "Dude... if they havent already banned him for that picture he posted... they never will."

:)

47. CWR

CWR Active Member

Can we please have that TE bashing post pulled from this thread. I know everyone has a right to their opinion, but that personal attack does not belong amongst friends and fellow prop enhusiasts. This thread was informative until that outburst. Thanks for calling this one out Lonnie.

-CWR

48. skyit

skyit Well-Known Member

the ebay AP helmet was a GF helmet.
    but there was a stock of stunt helmets that he sold on ebay that was not the GF as i showed in the pics and i assume it's the same sold with the armors (i have seen the same pics).

49. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Sr Member

Wasn't there a really big deal made about the fact that the SDS was a bigger helmet?
    I remember the TE described as a "shrunken helmet."
    If anything the SDS pictured looks a tad smaller than Gino's helmet.

50. CWR

CWR Active Member

The whole shrunken helmet thing was proven to be wrong a while back. The fact is the AA helmet has a larger cap and back than the screen used helmets (due to it being a reworked sculpt possibly from the AA prototype helmet) and for that reason in some shots might have appeared larger. The TE and Gino helmets are the closest thing to a screen used helmet your going to get for under 30,000 dollars and they are the same size as the screen used helmets from what I understand. All of this was covered in one of Gino's threads from late last year.