Getting back into comics and need some recommendations

Tatooine_Todd

Sr Member
Hopefully, this topic works in this forum. I grew up an avid comics reader and like many, gave it up when I went to college (1982...yikes I'm old), selling my collection for beer.

I have decided to jump back in, but need some recommendations as the landscape has changed a lot since I read them.

I am a Marvel guy, and read Avengers, Iron Man, The Hulk, and X-Men never read to much D.C.

I am building a pull list at my FLCS and need some recommendations.

My current list has: The Immortal Hulk (I really like this title), Star Wars Tie Fighter, and Hellboy/BRPD titles. I did just add Savage Avengers as well. What X-Men, Avengers, Spiderman titles should I be reading? What Star Wars titles? What Indie comics?

are you going for a personal "cool collection" or more of a "after I'm dead and long gone, we have colonized mar's and my grand children need money to buy safe passage to the new world collection".... :unsure:

Are you looking just for superhero stuff, or anything? And just American titles, or other countries as well? If it's anything and you're open to other countries' stuff, what kind of things do you like? I read a ton of manga, so...

are you going for a personal "cool collection" or more of a "after I'm dead and long gone, we have colonized mar's and my grand children need money to buy safe passage to the new world collection".... :unsure:

While it never hurts to have a collection appreciate in value, I know that comics, especially modern books, are very hit and miss as far as speculation goes. I am more interested in great stories, if a particular book that I own gets hot, all the better.

Are you looking just for superhero stuff, or anything? And just American titles, or other countries as well? If it's anything and you're open to other countries' stuff, what kind of things do you like? I read a ton of manga, so...

I'm not into manga, however, I do like all kinds of comics. Suerheroes, horror titles, pretty much anything that is a good read.

If you just want good reads then consider getting digital scans of comics. You can carry libraries around with you and read all the good old issues you used to own and all the stuff you might have missed.

If you need physical copies just for reading they have entire runs compiled into hardcover books that are convenient and look nice on the shelf.

If you want to invest then modern books is not the way to go. You need to look for the stuff from before the 1990’s. Modern books aren’t worth the investment of time and effort since they’re printed in such large volumes today.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back