General Grievous 1/12 Bandai Kit + scratch build LED lightsaber blades

frostrubin

Sr Member
After years of hobby abstinence (2 kids and house renovation eats my time) I’m back with this wonderful Star Wars kit.
It was my first Bandai and figure kit and I’m pleased how smooth the parts come together.
I sanded the armor parts and carved some scratches and scares. After a light wash with light brown I’m satisfied with the „used“ look. I also give the „bones“ of the black “skeleton“ a dry brush of aluminium and silver.
Decided to lit the sabers up. So I drilled the saber hilts a bit. Then insert Ø 1,8mm LEDs. For the blade I used Ø 3mm clear pipes (Tamiya). I sanded it on the inside to get more diffuse light. Placed a Ø 2 mm side glowing fibre inside the tube. At the tip I added silver foil to reflect the light back in blade (similar to a big lightsaber) and sealed it with „Crystal Clear“.
The wiring are going through the gaps between the "skeleton" and the armor plates. I use very thin black enameled wire for this, so they are unremarkable and the figure is still poseable.
For the base I used a clear case box of an apple mouse. Sprayed Metallic from the inside and weathered a little bit.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

Wonderful job! Are you planning to share “work-in-progress” shots? I am curious about have you have put the lightning part together... it is almost invisible from the outside!

Like what I see there. :) :)

Just curious why the hassle with your custom blades ? Wouldn't the original blades light up like that when feeded from the handle ?

Very nice build.
I keep putting mine on hold, trying to find the technique for the "bone" armor that I am happy with, and one main issue was trying to decide if I should sand it or not.
I believe you just made my mind up for me.
I assume you used a very fine grit and didn't overdo it.
Excellent job on the sabers also.
I have never tried working with LEDs, figured a Star Destroyer would be my first lighting work, but now I think sabers will be my first LED job.

I keep putting mine on hold, trying to find the technique for the "bone" armor that I am happy with, and one main issue was trying to decide if I should sand it or not.
I believe you just made my mind up for me.
I assume you used a very fine grit and didn't overdo it.
Yes only a light sanding with fine grid. Just to give enough surface for the washing/weathering.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back