RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
UPDATE 11-17-2006

I finally got some more pics of the final version of the costume:
aa.jpg

a5.jpg

b1.jpg

More at:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mommydawn200...n2000/my_photos

I switched out the boots I was using for something that look more like Imperial Officer boots, and added a holster and blaster. I also tweaked a few things after the SWW Parade experience- things like permanently closing the cape clasp (I almost had the cape come off with a strong wind.).

Still looking for more trooping opportunities with this one.

Mark

ORIGINAL POST:
Here's something I have been building off and on for a while now- perfect for days when I've got the kids and can't get to the shop to do my 'real' work.

It's not quite finished- the cape is being held together with pins until I get it to the seamstress, and there are a few other odds and ends. It's amazing how many things to do there are in even a 'simple' costume.

Garindan is one of those characters that is really fun- relatively simple costume, easily recognizable by any SW fan, and 'safely anonymous' to wear.

RPF01.jpg

RPF02.jpg

RPF03.jpg

The pictures below are pretty crappy and dark because the digi camera batteries were weak- they are just some quickies to see how everything looks together. I'll get some better ones soon.

Thanks to Hecubus114 for helping me lighten up a few (yes, they WERE darker.).

RPF05.jpg

RPF06.jpg

RPF07.jpg

RPF08.jpg

The mask is built onto a vacuformed C-3PO head. The face and nose are covered with leather. The goggles were a scratch-build since I couldn't find any that were vintage looking. The hood, while made of the same material as the cloak, is a seperate piece attached to the mask. This allows the hood to stay in the correct position when the mask is taken off and put on by the wearer.

The only reference for what the character is wearing under the cloak are the various action figures (Like a lot of lesser ANH characters, there seems to be precious little photo reference available). Each of the toys takes a slightly different stab at what this uniform should look like- all gray, all black, Imperial officer belt, Han-style gunbelt, etc. I played around with a couple of things and arrived at the gray top/black pants/black boots. All black would have been logical, but I wanted a little bit of contrast. I'm also considering making a Han-style gunbelt so I can carry a small blaster- I tried carrying one on the belt in the pictures, but it pulled too much to one side- you Jedi costumers will know what I'm talking about.

Feedback welcome.

Mark

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micdavis @ May 7 2006, 08:33 PM) [snapback]1240077[/snapback]</div>
Nice Comlink ;)
[/b]

Thanks. Actually, that isn't the one just got from you- I threw that one together just to get some pics done. I haven't had time to assemble the new one yet.

Mark

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micdavis @ May 7 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]1240093[/snapback]</div>
I'm crushed. lol
[/b]

No need- mine was mearly a stand-in. When yours showed up, it called mine a 'poser'. Mine got depressed and slinked off into the corner.

Mark

I never really thought about it before but it makes perfect sense that he would have a Trooper comm. What a great costume. You've gotb to get some pics of troopers standing around asking questions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Funky Jedi @ May 7 2006, 10:07 PM) [snapback]1240119[/snapback]</div>
I never really thought about it before but it makes perfect sense that he would have a Trooper comm. [/b]

I was thinking about that too- the whole thing is another great- an informant who is given an imperial com for quick access; the long nose (sticking it in other people's business), a shadowy cloaked being who could follow without much notice. The character fits perfectly into the situation- in a glance you know exactly what he is supposed to be. These are the kind of small bits of brilliant filmmaking that drew us into Star Wars in the first place.

Like Boba Fett, the entire character is a plot device and the costume is designed around that. The character is what you saw on screen- nothing more, nothing less. Any other details or background on the character just waters it down; destroys the mystery.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Funky Jedi @ May 7 2006, 10:07 PM) [snapback]1240119[/snapback]</div>
What a great costume. You've gotb to get some pics of troopers standing around asking questions.
[/b]

I plan to. That's another reason I liked the idea of this costume- it makes perfect sense at 501st gatherings.

Mark

This brings me to another thought- how did Garindan come to be looking for Luke and Ben anyway?

After all, the troopers were looking for two droids- not Ben and Luke per se. Maybe they were on the lookout for Luke- they may have known that there should be 3 people living at the Lars homestead, and since they only found and fried 2...

So at most there was an APB out on two droids and one human; or perhaps even Luke's model of landspeeder (was it registered?)

Perhaps Garindan was on the lookout for somebody who might be selling an older model speeder before leaving the planet?

Hmmm...

Mark

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rmschneider104 @ May 9 2006, 12:22 AM) [snapback]1240883[/snapback]</div>
Very cool. Fresh looking. I'm actually getting a little tired of OT troop pictures.
[/b]

Yep- maybe Garindan in the pics will 'freshen' things up a bit. Hey, I'm just an accessory.

M

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IanL @ May 11 2006, 08:40 PM) [snapback]1242746[/snapback]</div>
Very cool costume

Now if only they made a Vortex to convert your voice in squeaky noises, you'd be set.
[/b]

I would LOVE to do that- I've been looking around for a way to do it, but haven't come up with anything. There is plenty of room in the nose for a speaker.

Suggestions anyone? Can anyone make a .wav file of that bit of 'dialog' from the movie for me?

Mark

PS: I guess I could just learn to make that noise myself...

Can anyone make a .wav file of that bit of 'dialog' from the movie for me?

Scratch that- I just found a .wav file on the 'net. The problem is there is some pretty prominant music behind it.

Is there anyway to seperate the two?

Mark

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Seth B @ May 11 2006, 08:58 PM) [snapback]1242757[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><.--quotec-->
Looks great. Now I have someone to ask "which way"? :lol
[/quote]

Yep- and I plan to do a lot of pointing too. Boy, this guy has fewer signature moves than Boba Fett.

M

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bradleyfett @ May 11 2006, 08:49 PM) [snapback]1242753[/snapback]</div>
Can anyone make a .wav file of that bit of 'dialog' from the movie for me?

[/b]

I'm not sure what Ben Burtt chose for that sound, but it reminds me of the noise those glass bottles with the ground glass stoppers used in a chemistry lab make when you rotate the stoppers. Maybe you could make your own series of sounds and record them to an MP3 file.

Nice Mark. By far the best-looking "snout" I've seen with the leatherwork.

Will we be seeing Garindan at Star Wars Weekends? :)

One thing that isn't entirely accurate is the cloak. If you look closely you'll see that it extends farther down over the shoulders, unlike a Jedi cloak:

garindan.jpg

Here's a new member of the 501st French Garrison:

Steve-garindan3.jpg

And for good measure, the best-looking Garindan ever (well, without the mask anyway) from the 501st Spanish Garrison:

dz3502_full.jpg

dz3502_head.jpg

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back