Garindan!

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Bradleyfett, May 7, 2006.

1. Bradleyfett

Bradleyfett Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

UPDATE 11-17-2006

I finally got some more pics of the final version of the costume:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More at:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mommydawn200...n2000/my_photos

I switched out the boots I was using for something that look more like Imperial Officer boots, and added a holster and blaster. I also tweaked a few things after the SWW Parade experience- things like permanently closing the cape clasp (I almost had the cape come off with a strong wind.).

Still looking for more trooping opportunities with this one.

Mark

ORIGINAL POST:
    Here's something I have been building off and on for a while now- perfect for days when I've got the kids and can't get to the shop to do my 'real' work.

It's not quite finished- the cape is being held together with pins until I get it to the seamstress, and there are a few other odds and ends. It's amazing how many things to do there are in even a 'simple' costume.

Garindan is one of those characters that is really fun- relatively simple costume, easily recognizable by any SW fan, and 'safely anonymous' to wear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pictures below are pretty crappy and dark because the digi camera batteries were weak- they are just some quickies to see how everything looks together. I'll get some better ones soon.

Thanks to Hecubus114 for helping me lighten up a few (yes, they WERE darker.).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The mask is built onto a vacuformed C-3PO head. The face and nose are covered with leather. The goggles were a scratch-build since I couldn't find any that were vintage looking. The hood, while made of the same material as the cloak, is a seperate piece attached to the mask. This allows the hood to stay in the correct position when the mask is taken off and put on by the wearer.

The only reference for what the character is wearing under the cloak are the various action figures (Like a lot of lesser ANH characters, there seems to be precious little photo reference available). Each of the toys takes a slightly different stab at what this uniform should look like- all gray, all black, Imperial officer belt, Han-style gunbelt, etc. I played around with a couple of things and arrived at the gray top/black pants/black boots. All black would have been logical, but I wanted a little bit of contrast. I'm also considering making a Han-style gunbelt so I can carry a small blaster- I tried carrying one on the belt in the pictures, but it pulled too much to one side- you Jedi costumers will know what I'm talking about.

Feedback welcome.

Mark

2. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

That mask looks really cool Mark.. For the little reference available you've put together a fantastic costume.

Steve

3. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow.

Great work.

The quality construction really shows.

Nick

4. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Nice Comlink ;)

5. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micdavis @ May 7 2006, 08:33 PM) [snapback]1240077[/snapback]</div>

Thanks. Actually, that isn't the one just got from you- I threw that one together just to get some pics done. I haven't had time to assemble the new one yet.

Mark

6. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I'm crushed. lol

7. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micdavis @ May 7 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]1240093[/snapback]</div>
    No need- mine was mearly a stand-in. When yours showed up, it called mine a 'poser'. Mine got depressed and slinked off into the corner.

Mark

8. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I never really thought about it before but it makes perfect sense that he would have a Trooper comm. What a great costume. You've gotb to get some pics of troopers standing around asking questions.

9. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Funky Jedi @ May 7 2006, 10:07 PM) [snapback]1240119[/snapback]</div>
    I was thinking about that too- the whole thing is another great- an informant who is given an imperial com for quick access; the long nose (sticking it in other people's business), a shadowy cloaked being who could follow without much notice. The character fits perfectly into the situation- in a glance you know exactly what he is supposed to be. These are the kind of small bits of brilliant filmmaking that drew us into Star Wars in the first place.

Like Boba Fett, the entire character is a plot device and the costume is designed around that. The character is what you saw on screen- nothing more, nothing less. Any other details or background on the character just waters it down; destroys the mystery.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Funky Jedi @ May 7 2006, 10:07 PM) [snapback]1240119[/snapback]</div>
    I plan to. That's another reason I liked the idea of this costume- it makes perfect sense at 501st gatherings.

Mark

10. Bradleyfett

This brings me to another thought- how did Garindan come to be looking for Luke and Ben anyway?

After all, the troopers were looking for two droids- not Ben and Luke per se. Maybe they were on the lookout for Luke- they may have known that there should be 3 people living at the Lars homestead, and since they only found and fried 2...

So at most there was an APB out on two droids and one human; or perhaps even Luke's model of landspeeder (was it registered?)

Perhaps Garindan was on the lookout for somebody who might be selling an older model speeder before leaving the planet?

Hmmm...

Mark

11. howlingwind13

howlingwind13 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Love It. I always liked that guy...this is the first costume I've ever seen of him...nice mask.
    Very cool
    mike

12. well paid killer

well paid killer Well-Known Member

Excellent work as usual Mark. Always great to see something a little different...

13. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Very cool. Fresh looking. I'm actually getting a little tired of OT troop pictures.

14. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rmschneider104 @ May 9 2006, 12:22 AM) [snapback]1240883[/snapback]</div>

Yep- maybe Garindan in the pics will 'freshen' things up a bit. Hey, I'm just an accessory.

M

15. IanL

IanL New Member

Very cool costume

Now if only they made a Vortex to convert your voice in squeaky noises, you'd be set.

16. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IanL @ May 11 2006, 08:40 PM) [snapback]1242746[/snapback]</div>
    I would LOVE to do that- I've been looking around for a way to do it, but haven't come up with anything. There is plenty of room in the nose for a speaker.

Suggestions anyone? Can anyone make a .wav file of that bit of 'dialog' from the movie for me?

Mark

PS: I guess I could just learn to make that noise myself...

17. SethB6025

SethB6025 Well-Known Member

Looks great. Now I have someone to ask "which way"? :lol

18. Bradleyfett

Scratch that- I just found a .wav file on the 'net. The problem is there is some pretty prominant music behind it.

Is there anyway to seperate the two?

Mark

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Seth B @ May 11 2006, 08:58 PM) [snapback]1242757[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><.--quotec-->
    Looks great. Now I have someone to ask "which way"? :lol
    [/quote]

Yep- and I plan to do a lot of pointing too. Boy, this guy has fewer signature moves than Boba Fett.

M

19. IanL

IanL New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bradleyfett @ May 11 2006, 08:49 PM) [snapback]1242753[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure what Ben Burtt chose for that sound, but it reminds me of the noise those glass bottles with the ground glass stoppers used in a chemistry lab make when you rotate the stoppers. Maybe you could make your own series of sounds and record them to an MP3 file.

20. tuskentrooper

tuskentrooper Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice Mark. By far the best-looking "snout" I've seen with the leatherwork.

Will we be seeing Garindan at Star Wars Weekends? :)

One thing that isn't entirely accurate is the cloak. If you look closely you'll see that it extends farther down over the shoulders, unlike a Jedi cloak:

[​IMG]

Here's a new member of the 501st French Garrison:

[​IMG]

And for good measure, the best-looking Garindan ever (well, without the mask anyway) from the 501st Spanish Garrison:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Hubba hubba.

22. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Je$u$... :eek ..not bad....

23. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tuskentrooper @ May 12 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]1243070[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. My snout thanks you.

I'll be there marching with the 501st for a couple of days, but Disney doens't have their own Garindan (yet.).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tuskentrooper @ May 12 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]1243070[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for taking a close look. The 'looks great' comments are always welcome, but I love to go more in-depth with those who have an eye for detail.

I did notice that and I've taken steps to change that since those pics were taken. I appears that the hood is a seperate piece from the cloak/cape. Indeed, the hood extends down over the shoulders as you illustrated. I am doing a seperate 'cape-let' that will attach to the cape, but appear to be part of the hood. The hood will still come in a bit at the front of the neck- this will look a little less like a nun's habit and allow the mask to be visible. In the movie and the few stills that are around, the hood appears to come straight off the head as in the pic above, or coming in around the neck a little more. What I will have will be a compromise of the two.

Hmmm... After Google-ing 'nun habit', I'm starting to wonder if they used a nun costume for the whole thing now.

Mark

24. Bradleyfett

More details:

I used standard Vader gloves for the costume- from what I can tell, it looks like that's what the movie costume used.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the boots are SCREEN-USED.

OK, they aren't screen-used in Star Wars- but they were used in an episode of SeaQuest DSV circa 1994. I ended up with three pair of these and I've used them for various costumes in the last decade.

They are actually some sort of street-bike boots. They have some great sci-fi detail to them without being too 'out-there'. Certainly the original costume used something very plain, but I thought these fit right in.

boots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

er- nevermind the Cheerios on the floor...

kids...

Mark

25. DW Design Studios

DW Design Studios Well-Known Member

I love it. Nice job Mark.
    Darren

26. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

This is probably the only other costume I've seriously considered making...always one of my favorite minor characters in the whole saga....terrific job... The snout is one of the best I've seen. Ya the big hurdle is the goggles...if anyone has those vintage goggles please PM me. Notice how's he's actually a tall dude...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well...a bit taller than average....

[​IMG]

27. AlderaanGirl

AlderaanGirl Well-Known Member

Looks great Mark. :) Which days are you marching at SWW? Perhaps I will get to see it in person on May 20th, if you are marching the same day as me.

28. Bradleyfett

I may be there that weekend, but I won't be marching until the last two weekends.

Mark

29. Bradleyfett

Well I got to field-test the costume today at SWW and everything went great. Since I posted last, I made some improvments, so the only thing I think I would change now is to add a higher collar onto the tunic to cover my neck- it shows if I look up too much. Aside from being a bit hot (but not bad.), there was very little discomfort and the visibility was surprisingly good through the goggles. Hopefully I'll get some pics up soon.

And AlderaanGirl: I guess I lied to you since I was there today the 20th (I had the day open up for me last minute). Were you there?

Mark

30. tuskentrooper

Mark, looking forward to final pics. As you know, our photographer/writer friend Jim in Orlando has a blog with nice photo gallery for SWW:

www.fieldsedge.com

Hopefully he'll get some of you in the Garindan suit.

31. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(tuskentrooper @ May 12 2006, 09:36 AM) [snapback]1243070[/snapback]</div>
    Gotta agree with you there...

Nice work Mark.

32. AlderaanGirl

<div class='quotetop'>(Bradleyfett @ May 20 2006, 12:51 PM) [snapback]1247513[/snapback]</div>
    Yes.. Mark. You were talking to me and marched right next to me. I was Boushh. ;) :lol

Btw.. your costume was awesome. I hope to see and march with you in June at SWW again (which I believe you said you are marching again)

~ Lori

33. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>(AlderaanGirl @ May 21 2006, 10:34 PM) [snapback]1248206[/snapback]</div>
    Yes.. Mark. You were talking to me and marched right next to me. I was Boushh. ;) :lol

Btw.. your costume was awesome. I hope to see and march with you in June at SWW again (which I believe you said you are marching again)

~ Lori
    [/b][/quote]

Doh. :confused I feel a little silly. Like I told a lot of folks there yesterday, I have trouble remembering and matching screen-names to real names, etc.

Anyway, glad to meet you. Hehe...

Your costume was wonderful too. It was great being in a group with some cool bounter hunter costumes- between Boush, Garindan, Boba and Zuckuss, the crowd had something more to look at than just that sea of white buckets.

Mark

34. AlderaanGirl

<div class='quotetop'>(Bradleyfett @ May 21 2006, 06:42 PM) [snapback]1248216[/snapback]</div>
    Don't feel bad, I was having the same trouble. I kept calling people by their screennames :p Thanks for the compliment on my costume :$

I agree it was cool to be part of our little group of Bounty Hunters. I think that was a first as far as SWW is concern for the 501st. Too bad Skaught wasn't there as Dengar. Did you go today? All I could think while I was at work today, is I wanted to be there again :(

Hopefully we will be able to do that in June. Skaught will be Dengar but Aaron (Zuckuss won't be there). Still we will have a Garindan, Boushh, Dengar and Boba ;)

35. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>(AlderaanGirl @ May 21 2006, 10:47 PM) [snapback]1248221[/snapback]</div>

I was just able to do Saturday this week. I'm signed up for the last two weekends except for the last Sunday- hopefully a lot of those will pan out for marching.

Yea- I was hoping Skaught would be there yesterday too- too bad Zuckuss won't be around later.

Mark

36. Skaught

Skaught Sr Member

Sorry I missed you Mark. I wasn't able to make Saturday but I was there Sunday. We had Boba Fett and Dengar marching side by side. That looked cool (I hope). I'm still looking for photos.

I'll be there Sat/Sun of the last weekend.

Scott

37. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>(Skaught @ May 22 2006, 01:28 PM) [snapback]1248544[/snapback]</div>
    Great- I'll see you then. Hopefully there will be some other 'bounty hunters' as well. I actually wasn't sure where I fit in the line-up at first- Garindan is really a bounty hunter as far as we know- I guess you could just call our section 'For Hire', or 'Unafiliated'. :)

Mark

38. tuskentrooper

39. AlderaanGirl

<div class='quotetop'>(Bradleyfett @ May 22 2006, 03:00 PM) [snapback]1248770[/snapback]</div>
    Looks like we will have at least 4 of us Bounty Hunters on the closing Saturday. (providing I get the ok from Jerry).

I see Dean beat me to the punch on the picture link. :p TK3384 had great pics of the whole parade.

BradleyFett's Garindan is seen specifically in these. He looked awesome in person. :thumbsup

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

40. seswa

seswa New Member

the garindan looked great... (as did your Boush Lori..) i was the red guard in front of you in the parade line up and i also have to say that the miriade of bounty hunters was great to see...

41. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>(seswa @ May 23 2006, 08:41 PM) [snapback]1249361[/snapback]</div>

Hehe... at first I thought you said 'miracle of the bounty hunters'. I thought something really spectacular happened during the parade and I missed it...

Mark

42. DarkLordSalvo

DarkLordSalvo Well-Known Member

It looks great. I always was reminded of the "SPY vs SPY" guys when I see him for some reason.

43. AlderaanGirl

<div class='quotetop'>(seswa @ May 23 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]1249361[/snapback]</div>
    SHEILA... Thanks and I thought your new royal guard looked awesome too. I can't wait until we march again. Its always a blast trooping with everyone. I promise not to sneak up on you next time :p :lol

44. seswa

seswa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(AlderaanGirl @ May 24 2006, 04:36 AM) [snapback]1249537[/snapback]</div>
    SHEILA... Thanks and I thought your new royal guard looked awesome too. I can't wait until we march again. Its always a blast trooping with everyone. I promise not to sneak up on you next time :p :lol
    [/b][/quote]

no worries.. ;) it was nice being able to march though, i was so worried about finishing in time.. i do need to make a couple mods to get the helmet to look like it fits better though, i can see a noticeable gap between the bottom of the helmet and my robes. im thinking that padding under the outer robe so that the robes meet the helmet should work nicely. we'll see what i get done before Sat.

45. AlderaanGirl

<div class='quotetop'>(seswa @ May 24 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]1249843[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

no worries.. ;) it was nice being able to march though, i was so worried about finishing in time.. i do need to make a couple mods to get the helmet to look like it fits better though, i can see a noticeable gap between the bottom of the helmet and my robes. im thinking that padding under the outer robe so that the robes meet the helmet should work nicely. we'll see what i get done before Sat.
    [/b][/quote]
    To be honest, it looked perfect to me :) I didn't notice anything that you would need to adjust ;) It looked great.

46. seswa

seswa New Member

thanks... i can tell though and in a couple of the pics surfacing thus far it stands out too much for me so i'll play around with some light padding and see what happens. i loved my cool ties neck band thingy that i wore on Sunday. it actually helped a lot more than i thought it would. im really surprised that more of the guys dont wear something similar on costumes that permit it.

47. hbrika

hbrika Active Member

The Garindian looks great. Well done.

I might take a stab at making one, I like the nifty looking costumes.

48. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

anyone source the original goggles yet? awwww come on, this is the RPF. I know you guys can find WWII goggles :)

49. hbrika

hbrika Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(SithLord @ Jun 12 2006, 09:53 PM) [snapback]1260808[/snapback]</div>

No but am interested if anyone has :)

50. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

Great job, Mark. :thumbsup

[​IMG]

So, do we know what the original "snout" was made out of? I had always thought it was his "nose" and was made out of foam/latex on the costume. Or, is it a "covering" for his "nose"? There's so little reference... :(

J