Gaming and Physiological Responses.

Silent Hill 2. Every strand of hair stands up when that radio starts emitting static.
Heck, I was freaking out before I even got the radio. When you're first walking down the path leading into town, you hear a noise ahead of you, something.. alive. And I kept saying to myself "If I just turn around and drive home, do I 'win'?" When you're scared to push the stick on the controller to just move your character forward a few feet.

Playing Bioshock in a dark cold room.
Only thing missing is the smell of low tide and rotting bodies.

The plaster covered splicers in Fort Frolic always get me to almost fall out of my seat.
Very immersive game, that one. Really gave you a sense that you were there, which made it more freaky whenever something would happen. And by "something", I mean "anything".

And yes, the plaster statues.. I remember walking back into the room later and finding them gone.. I just about shut the game off and walked away I was so freaked out.

Damned sploicers.

I gotta play that again.. I've got it on PC now, along with the sequel that I picked up cheap on Steam and haven't ever played. I need to finish those before the new one comes out.

Horror games in general get to me, but I guess they're supposed to, aren't they? I've seen some videos of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and I really don't think I could actually play it. Horror movies don't really bother me, but when you're the one actually going through the events, even in a virtual way, it really takes it to a whole new level.

Horror games in general get to me, but I guess they're supposed to, aren't they? I've seen some videos of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and I really don't think I could actually play it. Horror movies don't really bother me, but when you're the one actually going through the events, even in a virtual way, it really takes it to a whole new level.

Bah! I forgot about this game, I went looking for it a few months ago and the guy in the game store didnt know what I was talking about..

ok now I'm off to google to find out if it's been released yet!

Yeah, I avoid survival horror games. I just can't handle them. Plus, it's frustrating to me that you can never effectively fight back. This is one of the reasons I really enjoy Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2. Although the first time I play any level, I'm super-tense on that one.

I think the effect is part of the appeal. I would have enjoyed L4D more if it hadn't been so unrealistic. I played it with a buddy, but just couldn't get into it.

It's most fun when you play with friends. I don't know how you'd depict "realism" in a game like that, but I was never that concerned with it being too realistic. It was exciting and fun to team up with folks. I mean, for me, it didn't have lasting appeal, but considering I paid something like $20 for both games in a Steam sale, I wasn't too bothered. :)

It's most fun when you play with friends. I don't know how you'd depict "realism" in a game like that, but I was never that concerned with it being too realistic. It was exciting and fun to team up with folks. I mean, for me, it didn't have lasting appeal, but considering I paid something like $20 for both games in a Steam sale, I wasn't too bothered. :)

I agree - friends make it better!! I should have clarified by saying that by 'unrealistic' I meant graphically. I find it hard to get (mentally) into a game when I feel like the environment is not realistic looking. I did the same thing, spent a little $$ and had a good time with the game.

dead space...

...finished the game and said outloud, 'if they come out with a #2, noway i'm gettin it...'

true to this day, that game freaked me the hell out. i consider it the biggest horror game i've ever played. there were times in the game after a freak out, i'd just shut the game off and say, again outloud, '....ok, that's enough of that'

daughter is playing it now and i hear her screams in the other room. seconds later she comes out of the theater smiling saying.... '.... ok, that's enough of that'.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back