Game of Thrones

I just read that HBO passed on a GoT prequel. I wonder if it’s this one.

They were given 5 prequels to green light if they liked them. The 1000 years & hero’s before game of thrones was the 1st one approved and is being cast right now. They passed on 1 last week and there is 3 others to review. I think most people are pulling for the Duncan the Tall and Egg one.

- Splittable double ended spear.
- Ferociously fighting multiple opponents.
- Superior stealth skills
- Coming out of the darkness to save the day when all hope is lost.

Mindy freaking Stark!
IMG_20190429_071123.jpg

This season might as well be the Arya show for all I care. (y)

I like the fact we do not know that much about the Night King's motivations. We live in an era where everything has to be explained- a mass shooting happens and people have to know why it occurred. what was going on in the guy's mind, where in his life did things go wrong.
IMO what makes Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Birds' so powerful is we never do find out why the birds started attacking or why they stopped. It is not necessary- when you are caught up in event you are just dealing with it.
Voyager managed to make the Borg boring because we found out too much about them and why they did what they did- when we first encountered them they were like an unforgiving force of nature.
The Night King had his reasons and he did not get to monologing about them- he did not care if people knew or not. He was doing what he chose to do and would continue to do so until he was stopped. That is all we really needed to know.

Too much and you do kill the mystery, and then you may wind up like the Alien franchise with Prometheus / Covenant

I just read that HBO passed on a GoT prequel. I wonder if it’s this one.

They were given 5 prequels to green light if they liked them. The 1000 years & hero’s before game of thrones was the 1st one approved and is being cast right now. They passed on 1 last week and there is 3 others to review. I think most people are pulling for the Duncan the Tall and Egg one.

yeah, the Jane Goldman one starring Naomi Watts is the "Long Night" one that will potentially deal with the Age of Heroes era and possibly get more into the White Walkers origins

One of the ones HBO passed on was Bryan Cogman's (one of the current GOT writers)
Bryan Cogman's Game of Thrones Prequel Has Been Passed on by HBO

I really liked the episode. I loved that Arya got to kill the Night King and when Melisandre and Arya had their staredown, I remembered when they met and that Melisandre told her she will close many eyes forever. The atmosphere and the tension during the battle was intense and it was much of the opposite of the end of the episode with the way Arya stabbed the Night King. For me, there enough parts of the puzzle to get the sense of the way they went.

It wasn't really reverting the expectations, it simply was the way that was slightly foreshadowed.

I kinda sad that Melisandre died, because I was always fascinated with her character.

The only thing i kinda didn't like was that the long night felt pretty short :)

The Golden company have a card up their sleeve. As I said in post earlier they have a good chance to flip sides.

Team North can call on House Tarly with Sam as their acting Lord. They bent the knee even tho the daddy & bro didn’t. Their are likely soldiers left over from House High Garden. I highly doubt they all got killed. Don’t forget river run and black fish ( even tho no one knows where he is) . Plus Yara and the Iron islands.

Cerise did not get as big of an army that she was hoping for.

What about the 2nd sons? That team have been sipping on pina Cola’s on the beach.

there may be the Tarly's. The black fish was killed when the lanisters came to retake river-run (they report to Jamie that he was cornered and killed while trying to escape), but their forces, and possibly even what Frey's remain, may join the fight. High garden's bannermen may be a possibility too.

There were northern houses that hold up at their own keeps instead of joining the rest. Presumably any of those houses that were south of Winterfell are fine.

As has been mentioned, there's a good chance the Golden company will flop sides on their own, or that the Iron Bank will simply want to be rid of Cersi because she's crazy, and getting rid of her now doesn't lose them any money.

I also expect they'll show a surprisingly large number of human survivors from Winterfell. I feel like every big battle seems to have way more goons walking away unharmed than I would have possibly imagined, based on the watching battle itself.

They'll also probably be joined by any old house that isn't super stoked to live under Cersi, even if they're loyal to her now (dragons can be persuasive).

I don't imagine we'll see the second sons. There's no fleet of any sort to bring them.

This article breaks down nicely most of my same points:

The Battle of Winterfell: A Tactical Analysis

Also, if Lord of the Rings has taught us anything, it's that sound tactics and a great story can go hand-in-hand (Helm's Deep). There's no need to have your tacticians make ridiculous decisions simply for the sake of drama.

I know a lot of Total War players who were cringing at some of the tactics being used. The first thing I asked is why so many units were outside the walls to begin with and why those catapults and trebuchets weren't firing until either they used up their ammo or the enemy reached them.

I was right about my prediction of a pyrrhic victory though.

I watched the episode, finally.

I haven’t read this thread.

This should be something.

What a disaster. They may have completely tarnished their reputation with that single episode.

*Reads thread*

Woah nevermind.

I really thought the terrible look of the episode and the insanely bad editing would take people out of it. Guess not...

None of those people would have survived. None. Don’t put people in impossible situations, then cut away, revealing 3 minutes later they’re AOK.

Last edited:
I know a lot of Total War players who were cringing at some of the tactics being used. The first thing I asked is why so many units were outside the walls to begin with and why those catapults and trebuchets weren't firing until either they used up their ammo or the enemy reached them.

I was right about my prediction of a pyrrhic victory though.

If there was one thing I learned from Total War it was NEVER ISOLATE YOUR CAVALRY!

I had no issues with light when watching the battle. Deux Ex Machina is what I felt about Arya coming down like that on the Night King, wish it showed her slipping ass the guards or something.

The battle itself didn't show the greatest military minds in full action. Why not use the trebuchets and catapults before sending the Dothraki? Why not make them shoot continuously after Dothraki were down, why keep waiting for the dead to come? Use projectiles with fire and dragon glass. Not to mention the bad use of the Dragons. And so on.

Very curious to see how many Unsullied and northern troops were left in Winterfell after the battle. Seems there are just very few people left from the battle. If they were to put Bran as a bait, they lost a lot of men for that. Maybe too many. We'll see. And IMO too many of the heroes survived to almost impossible odds.

I would like to find out who was the Night King and what really motivated him? Destroy the humanity? Revenge for what happened to him? Is he simply still obeying his initial orders like a broken robot? Martin would have been good at telling his story in a few flashbacks, but not sure what is going to happen now. Maybe Bran will reveal a bit about him.

One other thing that I'm hoping to see is how Essos evolves during this time and after whoever gets on the Throne (if there is one left). We still have cities like Volantis who still have slaves. Will the wheel break everywhere - if that happens?

I was dreading some idiotic twist for the sake of jumping the shark like Bran welcoming the Night King or something like that. Glad it didn’t happen.
A friend of mine said that ot’s way too early to kill off what was the biggest threat since the forst episode/page but I was okay with that, the pacing of the series kinda lent itself to this and I don’t think there was that mich depth to this main storyline the way it unfolded. Ie, it’s simply a battle for survival, hardly any mysticism was woven into it as to defeating them which may have been a missed opportunity but hey.
My only gripe was the fluctuating threat and usefulness of the wights. One minute there’s an unstoppable sea of them the other our heroes are making it out with no problems.
But all in all I didn’t mind it. Wasn’t too climactic but it seems this wasn’t meant to be tue climax of the story anyway.

There's something that seems to be overlooked. What did Bran do while warged into ravens? He spent an awefull lot of time up in the North, you see the ravens fly through and beyond the wall of mist the Knight King raises.

I fear a "This is but a test" scenario (those that have played Illuminati the card game will know what I mean ;-) )

My humble opinion? From the outset, I've never considered the Knight King to be the ultimate foe. I can be totally wrong, but I do think Bran was looking for what is still lurking up in the North... There's been hint of a battle between Light and Dark ....

There's something that seems to be overlooked. What did Bran do while warged into ravens? He spent an awefull lot of time up in the North, you see the ravens fly through and beyond the wall of mist the Knight King raises.

I fear a "This is but a test" scenario (those that have played Illuminati the card game will know what I mean ;-) )

My humble opinion? From the outset, I've never considered the Knight King to be the ultimate foe. I can be totally wrong, but I do think Bran was looking for what is still lurking up in the North... There's been hint of a battle between Light and Dark ....

There are only 3 episodes left in the series. I wouldn't count on them introducing something new.

I would like to find out who was the Night King and what really motivated him? Destroy the humanity? Revenge for what happened to him? Is he simply still obeying his initial orders like a broken robot? Martin would have been good at telling his story in a few flashbacks, but not sure what is going to happen now. Maybe Bran will reveal a bit about him.

I wasn't all at once, but they did pretty much layout all we needed to know throughout the series. It may not have felt as satisfying as one scene explaining it all compared to getting a little bit here and there across 8 seasons of material. but it is there.

Who - They showed who he was, ok, maybe not an actual name to attach to the person, but I don't think it matters

How - They showed how the Children of the Forest made him into the Night King using dragon glass plunged into his heart

Why - They explained the White Walkers were created to help protect the Children of the Forest from being wiped out by men, but they went rogue

They explained how the First Men and Children united against the White Walkers to defeat them and built a magic infused wall to keep them at bay

What - Bran tells us the Night's King motive is to erase history and mankind

Personally, I prefer there to be some mystery to the finer or more granular details but I know many felt let down

Last edited:

I think in the vacuum left by the Night's King departure, everyone is scrambling to come to terms with 8 seasons of build up falling short of expectations and is grasping at ways that story line could continue. I would love to see to see something like the Great Other show up somehow, but considering Melisandre's end and what story they need to wrap up, I doubt we will see anything else on that front. Unless they have some kind of stereotypical horror movie "The End??" type moment showing something stir beyond the wall as it fades to black

I get what Analyzer and Firesprite are saying, but I still wonder what Bran was up to all that time, especially if "this is it". I can't imagine Bran warging off while every body is dying without a proper reason to do so. Don't forget he has already meddled with the past...

Last edited:
I'm thinking he warged into the ravens and flew south, maybe to see the golden company approaching or something along those lines. It's definitely a detail that will carry over into the next episode.

I get what Analyzer and Firesprite are saying, but I still wonder what Bran was up to all that time, especially if "this is it". I can't imagine Bran warging off while every body is dying without a proper reason to do so. Don't forget he has already meddled with the past...

The best explanation I have is that Bran was searching for the Night's King trying to get his attention to lure him to the Gods Woods. The crows did fly right up behind the Night's King before cutting away and in past episodes, the Night's King always seemed to sense him and to snap to attention and look right to Bran's location when he was spying on him before.

This may have been an attempt to let the Night King know he is watching him and his cover is blown so Dany and Jon can now find him. It may have been a way to goad the Night King into action sooner than he intended

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back