Game of Thrones

Historically accurate???

Historically accurate to what? This is fantasy. What history, besides the made up one GRRM created, does it have to be accurate to? Just because he took inspiration from certain events doesn't mean any of this needs to be truthful or accurate to any of those. This isn't a Ken Burns documentary.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't count on that. I'd expect other information to be revealed, though.

The Golden Company's backstory is a level of detail and intrigue that, while awesome, is something that I just don't think the show will deal with. The Blackfyre rebellions and Aegon the Unworthy and his ******* children is something that could occupy literally another entire TV series, lasting 8 full seasons easily.

Agreed. Makes one wonder if some of those stories aren't being considered for the spinoff? I would love to see that stuff.

Historically accurate???
Historically accurate to what? This is fantasy. What history, besides the made up one GRRM created, does it have to be accurate to? Just because he took inspiration from certain events doesn't mean any of this needs to be truthful or accurate to any of those. This isn't a Ken Burns documentary.

That's what I tried to tell him. I even brought up the battle of Agincourt, which much of of BoB is based on.
He'd never heard of it.
He's 20. He knows everything (except most things... including Agincourt...)

^ My left brain LOVED that fight. My right brain was like "yah, right..."
Knowing a 4oz epee would crumble under the attack of a 4lb long sword didn't diminish my enjoyment of the meeting of two absolute badasses.
...much...
I still dug it. I'm willing to suspend disbelief for the sake of the story.
Unlike my nephew, who, when I showed him the Battle of the Bastards, simply could not enjoy it even a little bit because the fighting wasn't historically accurate :rolleyes.
All he did was complain, throughout the entire battle.
That's the last time I try to turn him on to anything.

Historically accurate???

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. Makes one wonder if some of those stories aren't being considered for the spinoff? I would love to see that stuff.

I didn't enjoy the Battle of the Bastards because so many idiotic tactical mistakes were made. Jon was supposed to be smarter at that point and he failed to make effective use of his resources more than once in that battle.

I will definitely agree with that. Jon for sure acted stupidly. Right after he got done mansplaining to Sansa about how he knew what he was doing, too. She warned him that Ramsay would try to goad him into doing something irrational and he did it anyway. I'm fine with the theory that he partly survived because of the power of R'hllor or something like that.

leave jon snow alone!!!

leave-britney-alone-o.gif

It's gonna be hilarious when Bran tells Jon about how his sister/niece/cousin Dany looked hot in her wedding dress.

Obviously if Bran just spilled the beans the show would end with just a couple of key assassinations.

^ My left brain LOVED that fight. My right brain was like "yah, right..."
Knowing a 4oz epee would crumble under the attack of a 4lb long sword didn't diminish my enjoyment of the meeting of two absolute badasses.
...much...
I still dug it. I'm willing to suspend disbelief for the sake of the story.
Unlike my nephew, who, when I showed him the Battle of the Bastards, simply could not enjoy it even a little bit because the fighting wasn't historically accurate :rolleyes.
All he did was complain, throughout the entire battle.
That's the last time I try to turn him on to anything.

As Matt Easton explains in the video I posted, Needle may have a light blade it's still basically a steel bar and it's not going to break that easily, plus, I'd guess that overall Needle probably weighs in at around 1.5 - 2 pounds and Brienne's training sword is probably closer to 3 (which is the average for a longsword) than 4. But I agree, it was still a great scene and lots of fun to watch.

- - - Updated - - -

It wasn't just that. It was during the battle too. Seriously... what genius just stands there and lets the enemy take their sweet time setting up their shield wall around your forces?!

Not to mention that you have a giant, but you don't bother to give him anything resembling armor, not even a shield, nor a decent weapon like a young tree to use as a club. Lots of idiotic moves on Jon's part in that battle.

As Matt Easton explains in the video I posted, Needle may have a light blade it's still basically a steel bar and it's not going to break that easily, plus, I'd guess that overall Needle probably weighs in at around 1.5 - 2 pounds and Brienne's training sword is probably closer to 3 (which is the average for a longsword) than 4. But I agree, it was still a great scene and lots of fun to watch.

To be fair, it didn't look like Arya was blocking Brienne's blows so much as parrying them.

Blocking involves stopping a sword at full swing with your own. A full swing from Brienne would have been devastating to Needle, resulting in bending or breaking, even with the training sword weighing less than an actual sword, as Brienne's physical strength adds a lot to the blow.

Parrying, on the other hand, involves redirecting the blow to a safer location and requires less effort, as you only have to overcome a small part of the blow to change its direction.

It's like an Aikidoka facing off with a boxer. The aikidoka knows that to keep moving and use the boxer's strength against them is the thing to do. Getting into a slugfest with a boxer will result in defeat. It's the same with Arya vs Brienne. If Arya had tried to match Brienne blow for blow, she'd be done. Instead she used Brienne's size against her. Only Brienne's larger body of experience turned the match in Brienne's favor. Had Arya had more training, she could have defeated Brienne handily. This is why she wants to train with Brienne. Arya didn't hold back because she wanted Brienne to understand as a teacher where to begin with her.

That's what I tried to tell him. I even brought up the battle of Agincourt, which much of of BoB is based on.
He'd never heard of it.
He's 20. He knows everything (except most things... including Agincourt...)
Is this the same insufferable nephew from the other thread?

I only see him occasionally, at get-togethers at my folks'.
I try to turn him on to cool stuff, or encourage him to think about stuff, but he has a one-track mind.
At least he's over his Star Wars prequel phase...
Now he's all about HEMA and the crusades and anti-feminism.
I'm pretty much done with him. He's a total drag to be around.

I only see him occasionally, at get-togethers at my folks'.
I try to turn him on to cool stuff, or encourage him to think about stuff, but he has a one-track mind.
At least he's over his Star Wars prequel phase...
Now he's all about HEMA and the crusades and anti-feminism.
I'm pretty much done with him. He's a total drag to be around.

Ugh. There are few things worse than family you thought had potential turning out to have squandered it. :sick

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back