Game of Thrones

Do we know who that was that was tied to the tree and pierced with the - was it dragonglass?

But, do we know who it was before he was the Night King?

BTW, most epic ending in a long time. That was AWESOME.

The TV show may go it's own way, but what we know mostly comes from Nan's story she told to Bran in the books as well as a few other mentions here and there throughout the books. Old Nan claims he was a Stark, and his name was Brandon

The story goes that he was the 13th commander of the Night's Watch (not long after The Wall was built).

He came across a dying/hurt(??) female "white walker" or a wight? ( "a woman with skin as white as the moon and eyes like blue stars"... "her skin was cold as ice",) and fell in love with her. He brought her back to the Night Fort after the "unholy union" in which he gave her his soul and basically had a reign of terror there for 13 years or so.

During that time he had been making human sacrifices to the "Others" (White Walkers) as well as using magic to make the Night's Watch his slaves.

The King of the North Brandon the Breaker and Joramun the King beyond the wall joined forces and overthrew him. After it was discovered he was making sacrifices to the Others, his name and all mentions of him were removed from the records which makes it hard for anyone to truly say with 100% certainty who the Night's king might once have been

Supposedly he was the reason the Night's Watch were forbidden from erecting walls to protect the castles from the South side

I'm still a little stumped about this whole 'Hodor' thing..

So.....

old/big Hordor was about to die..

Morg'd back (in time?) to his old/younger self... and took himself over? (which ended up making him mumble 'Hodor' over and over as that was his last thought/memory/action..before he died as the old/big Hodor?)

So he goes through life (over and over) knowing he will die holding the door for Bran?

I dont get it.??

I think Bran created some kind of feedback loop if you will with Hodor of the past. He was warged into Hodor in the present and when seeing Hodor in the past and possibly entering his mind there as well it created a short circuit in Hodor's brain

It's unknown if Hodor actually knew of his fate and went along with it, or was just simply fried for good and had no memory of what would befall him in the future

What it does suggest, along with the possibility that Ned heard him in the past is that he may be able to influence events in the past despite the Raven saying he could not.

For those wondering if Hodor thing was purely the TV show writers creation, or Martin's...

http://screenrant.com/games-thrones-hold-door-hodor/

“It was just one of the saddest and most affecting things,” executive producer D.B. Weiss told IGN, recounting the moment that he learned about the origins of Hodor’s name from Martin. While it’s possible that the author will have a change of heart and perhaps allow Hodor to live in the books, the idea for that scene was one of the guiding points that Martin gave to Game of Thrones‘ showrunners to help them plan out future seasons. Executive producer David Benioff recalls:

“We had this meeting with George Martin where we’re trying to get as much information as possible out of him, and probably the most shocking revelation he had for us was when he told us the origin of Hodor and how that name came about. I just remember Dan and I looking at each other when he said that and just being like, ‘Holy s–t.'”
That article also seemed to suggest that Bran Wargs into Hodor of present via Hodor of the past.

I guess since he was kind of "trapped" in the past when things went down that was his connection, thus frying past Hodor's mind, or even possibly imprinting the suggestion into Hodor's brain for when the time comes.

it was odd that Hodor/Wilyss eyes went blank as if he was warging

r8htepvgyrfo8mof3vpo.GIF

Interestingly, the first line spoken to Hodor foreshadowed his fate. Theon told Hodor to help the recently paralyzed Bran out of bed and down the hall. Hodor's last act was to get Bran down the 'hall' of the tree cave.

Both times, he did it gladly, because that was his purpose.

So there seems to be a growing theory that the White Walkers (The Others) are not necessarily the bad guys. i.e. They are only protecting themselves and expelling Man from their territory. One which was agreed upon thousands of years ago when the wall was built.

The theories keep using a quote from Martin relating to his thoughts the fantasy genres over use of the Dark Lord and evil minions concept

"Much as I admire Tolkien, and I do admire Tolkien — he’s been a huge influence on me, and his Lord of the Rings is the mountain that leans over every other fantasy written since and shaped all of modern fantasy — there are things about it, the whole concept of the Dark Lord, and good guys battling bad guys, Good versus Evil, while brilliantly handled in Tolkien, in the hands of many Tolkien successors, it has become kind of a cartoon. We don’t need any more Dark Lords, we don’t need any more, ‘Here are the good guys, they’re in white, there are the bad guys, they’re in black. And also, they’re really ugly, the bad guys. **George R. R. Martin, Assignment X Interview, 2011"

Appearance wise, in the TV shows the White Walkers are very corpse like and "evil" looking
In the books however, their descriptions are a little less clear. At some point they almost sound like Elvish looking creatures that a fair to look upon. Martin himself described them like this when giving guidance to comic book artists... "The Others are not dead. They are strange, beautiful… think, oh… the Sidhe made of ice, something like that… a different sort of life… inhuman, elegant, dangerous."

Their armor and even the way they walk with the above description sure makes them sound kind of like Elves in the Tolkien sense

"...He told me of the ice swords, and the reflective, camouflaging armor that picks up the images of the things around it like a clear, still pond..."

"...The Others go lightly on the snow and leave no prints to mark their passage. Their movements can be lighting quick
.."

Much like the Tolkien Elves, the Children of the Forest and the Others have no place in man's world. But maybe instead of all sailing off into the West, they are coming to take back what is theirs.

This makes the whole distinction of good vs evil a bit more blurred

Also much like how Rhaeger or even Jamie was painted early on as being a clear cut bad guy simply because of the bias of the people you get their stories from, Old Nan's tales about the others could be colored with the same bias.

The TV show may have gone with a more obvious "bad guy" route though. They refer to the as the White Walkers instead of the Others and turn them into gaunt mostly armorless corpse like appearance to also convey more of the "bad guy" vibe

So basically one theory is The Starks are connected to the Night King, who married an other and brokered an uneasy piece allowing them to remain north of the wall and men to remain south. Over the years, this contract has been nullified as more and more men populate north of the wall, and now, with the rebirth of dragons, their is a new threat against them. So the time has come to clear house as their hands have been forced again. Jon Snow may be the one who can bring about peace again, not necessarily by good defeating evil, but by somehow establishing another middle ground type of peace, much like the Night's Watch commander who became the Night's King

Not sure how much of the last bit I buy, but I do think the others are not necessarily supposed to the absolute pure evil they are depicted as

Last edited:
Agreed with the white walkers not possibly being the bad guys. They are just keeping their end of the pact or atleast trying not to lose their turf. I see mother of dragons being more of a bad / evil person. Not saying she is doing it to be evil. But if she rows her butt across th sea with a huge group of tribes men that like to rape and ransack villages. She will destroy everything that is westros. There could be a possible 3 way battle royal for everything. Jon snow with frosty the snowmen vs. kings landing and friends vs. mother of dragons and raiders. One group wants to rule everything, one group wants to keep what's theirs and the last group wants revenge.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back