Game of Thrones Jorah Mormont Sword Belt/Scabbard Build

Thanks! Nice pommel model. I'll have to use that if I do a sword re-build. Any pics/info on your Bronn build?

And quick update: I'm remaking the entire belt out of higher quality full-grain latigo leather I now have on hand. So far looks and feels a whole lot better and I'll get pics up once it's all together again.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. Bronn is in full pre-DragonCon crunch time mode, so the build thread will likely appear after the con. Here's a shot of the sword, kukri, and ale horn I finished earlier.

100_8167v2.jpg

First, here's a picture of the actual prop for reference.

attachment.php

I had some very nice latigo leather and decided to upgrade the entire belt from the ok top grain stuff I was using to top-of-the line full-grain US tanned leather. This also gave me a chance to make some small changes to the layout. Overall this leather looks and feels a lot better and is much easier to work with.

In addition to upgrading the leather I also solved the problem I was having with how to wrap the straps around the scabbard, weathered the details pieces, and officially have it finished. Next up - to upgrade my Jorah armor to leather.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 10363582_10152484422519017_2361009461734811769_n.jpg
    10363582_10152484422519017_2361009461734811769_n.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 281
  • jorah sword expo.jpg
    jorah sword expo.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 5,202
  • Photo Aug 26, 11 49 35 AM.jpg
    Photo Aug 26, 11 49 35 AM.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3,772
  • Photo Aug 26, 11 51 12 AM.jpg
    Photo Aug 26, 11 51 12 AM.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2,805
  • Photo Aug 26, 11 46 52 AM.jpg
    Photo Aug 26, 11 46 52 AM.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4,061
  • Photo Aug 26, 11 47 04 AM.jpg
    Photo Aug 26, 11 47 04 AM.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,611
  • Photo Aug 26, 11 48 38 AM.jpg
    Photo Aug 26, 11 48 38 AM.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,450
  • Photo Aug 26, 11 47 36 AM.jpg
    Photo Aug 26, 11 47 36 AM.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,822
wow!! sword/scabbard look amazing...i have been trying to make my own version of this sword and armour but lack the knowledge to make one

i was hoping for some advice if that is ok with you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Check out my thread on the all leather armor build (http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=245665) for more info.

thanks i will :)

atm i am looking to make the sword/scabbard but i am in need of build design,messurements etc....is there any possibility i could pick your brains over this? i am struggling with the hilt...how did you make it and connect it to the sword?

also on a side note have you thought about dying the hilt fabric....cold tea would do it

thanks i will :)

atm i am looking to make the sword/scabbard but i am in need of build design,messurements etc....is there any possibility i could pick your brains over this? i am struggling with the hilt...how did you make it and connect it to the sword?

also on a side note have you thought about dying the hilt fabric....cold tea would do it

Send me a message if you want to talk over some details/measurements.

And I actually did tea dye the fabric, it may appear darker in person.

Came across a 3d file for Jorah's sword pommel and ended up having that printed and doing a sword rebuild.

Photo Sep 09, 5 05 14 PM.jpg Photo Sep 09, 5 05 39 PM.jpg

Here are the pommel, grip, and crossguard primed and painted. The pommel is a 3d print, the grip is pvc pipe that was heat bent to shape and sanded. The hilt is a couple pieces of baltic birch plywood laminated together with the gap for the blade. I cut the general shape then sanded it down to the final version. The blade is also brich ply and made with a tang that with fit through at the parts. I made the fuller with a router and finished is aluminum tape.

Photo Sep 24, 5 29 36 PM.jpg Photo Sep 24, 5 37 10 PM.jpg

All attached with epoxy and in the scabbard. I still need to trip the ends of the grip wrap once I decide this is how I permanently want it.

- - - Updated - - -

Photo Sep 24, 5 41 34 PM copy.jpg Photo Sep 24, 5 41 44 PM copy.jpg

And in the Jorah ensemble. I'm much happier with this sword, definitely a step up in look to match the sword belt.

Attachments

• Photo Sep 09, 5 05 14 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 09, 5 05 14 PM.jpg
    878.2 KB · Views: 233
  • Photo Sep 24, 5 37 10 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 24, 5 37 10 PM.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 261
Hi Wail, I'm so glad I found this thread, three years late! Your build looks fantastic!

I'm working on Ser Barristan (I look just like Ian McElhinney) and I'm pretty confused about how his belt works.

Seeing yours had helped a lot, thanks!

I'm still not sure about how the belt is made, even with looking at all your photos. I made a pleather mockup and am still trying to figure out the construction.

eCFsKlI.jpg

ubmPqC8.jpg

b2Vh43W.jpg

KixBORH.jpg

I still don't know where the middle strap of the front belt goes- it goes underneath the scabbard and ends up crossing with the lower strap all the way down the scabbard.

In any case here's myself (I play bagpipes as you can see) and everybody tells me I need to cosplay Ser Barristan!

NPRSSL9.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!

And yes, as you say the top belt belt widens out in the back and the lower belt is riveted on there. Brienne uses the same style sword belt and there are some good pictures out there of hers. I remember taking some good screen caps when she's fighting Jamie on the bridge.

Yours looks really good so far. I hope you post more pics when it's done. Where did you end up finding the buckle?

Game_of_Thrones_s03e02_kissthemgoodbye_net_2198.jpg

Game_of_Thrones_s03e02_kissthemgoodbye_net_2216.jpg

Sorry I took a long hiatus from Barristan and worked on some other cosplays!

I found the buckle on Etsy, made in England I think. They call it a "pirate buckle".

They use the same buckle for The Mountain. The Mountain's is how the buckle comes off-the-shelf, the Game Of Thrones belt maker modified the buckle used on Barristan's belt, I suppose so they wouldn't have two identical buckles.

Here's my finished Barristan belts, my reproduction at top, a screen shot at bottom. I've not been able to find the small upper buckle.

CBdpRdo.jpg

I sculpted the dagger out of sculpy. The sword is a modified foam Longclaw.

As you see I don't have the sword correctly attached to the belts! My concern is that the sword might not be allowed inside a ComicCon, so I made the sword as a separate piece which I can remove, and just wear the belt.

r6LprBb.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I wandered away from this thread and never replied!

My sword is just a quick-and-dirty lightweight foam prop. I wanted a one-piece prop, integral scabbard & blade, that I could take into Comiccons.

I took a cheap foam Jon Snow sword, did some filling of the blade, and just covered the blade itself to create the impression of a scabbard.

I noticed that on Barristan's sword the grip and scabbard are covered with the same fabric. I found some "close enough" fabric at a local shop and dyed it to match screen-shots. I just wrapped the fabric around and stitched it on the back.

Here it is, in progress. The background is the undyed fabric as it came. The grip has twine bound over the fabric.

JQQ1wQJ.jpg

I'm still confused about where one of the scabbard straps on Barristan's scabbard goes.

On Jorah's first costume, which you replicated, the lowest strap goes under the scabbard while the middle strap goes over.

But on most of the other belts- Jorah's north-of-the-wall costume, Barristan, Brienne, Theon, and Stannis from what I can tell, the upper and lower straps go over the scabbard while the middle strap goes under.

The lower strap goes over the scabbard then goes through slots in the rear belt.

But I can't quite figure out where the middle strap, that goes under the scabbard, manages to get where it needs to be.

I've made a mockup using pleather to try to figure it out.

Last edited:
That's really smart using the foam sword!

Check out the picture I have of the back of my scabbard. It shows how the straps go on the back. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how it works and I think I got it as close as possible. The only difference on Jorah's scabbard (though I could be wrong) is that it has a separate strap that closes the larger belt that secures the scabbard. The important thing is that they both thread through the back of lower sword belt and do not cross over.

Very interesting, I've been studying those photos! Hope it's OK, I took the liberty of putting two of your photos together so I can see exactly what is going on there.

3h8qJQk.jpg

I've seen some of the GOT scabbards that look like that. Then there are others that appear to have a different construction, where the two narrow straps are reversed under/over, and the one that goes over appears to go through the slots in the lower belt:

BmurvKN.jpg

Maybe the clearest photo that appears to show this style is a photo of Davos in the GOT costumes book, I reversed the photo for reference:

0TX5n0P.jpg

I've done a pleather mockup and the simplest solution is to lace both the narrow straps through those slots in the lower belt.

Without seeing the back of one of that type, I can't know for sure.

However Barristan's might have been done, I might follow the Jorah Mormont method which seems to be more symmetrical and secure.

Last edited:
Yeah! Many of the scabbards follow a pretty similar wrapping pattern and once you get a feel for how it works from the back and mock up a few it's not too hard to just see the front and understand how it works. There are also some good medieval references that I came across that explain the many different styles of attaching a sword belt to a scabbard.

I rebuilt my Jorah scabbard and his dagger using better techniques but at some point I'd love to do another scabbard/belt build with a leather wrapped scabbard with raised sections (like on that Davos? scabbard you posted) and carvings and everything.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back