Galaxy Quest Model Kits (early 2010) - Pegasus Hobbies

I just wanted to make a correction. The sizes of the studio models for the NSEA Protector were 15-1/4 inches, 3 feet, and 8 feet. So the NSEA model here is near studio scale, but not exact to the smallest studio model size.

Though, again the Pegasus Hobbies model detail is based upon the larger models, so you're really ahead with this kit. The smallest model ILM made was actually quite plain and the Pegasus models kit sports much more detailed parts.

i kinda cheated to spray the blister pack...it already had a mirror finish on the top though it was clear, so i sprayed the outside with the killer chrome then the underside with flat black so that it wasn't transluscent anymore. I've never found a better chrome look than this period from a can. You would normally have the first coat a shiny black, then you mist the killer chrome on, you can't spray it like paint, you have to lightly mist it... a little truly goes a long way. I've not had any fingerprint issues after letting it dry a few days, but they do offer a speed clear now.

Will

I'm sharing the movie prop accurate lightning graphic with VoodoFX. So anyone that wants to upgrade their Vox with VoodoFX's great light kit will also get the graphic too if they decide to include it.
Any chance the graphic will be available by itself (without the lighting kit, that is) for those of us who are "electronically illiterate" and simply want a better graphic than the one that comes with the kit?

Any chance the graphic will be available by itself (without the lighting kit, that is) for those of us who are "electronically illiterate" and simply want a better graphic than the one that comes with the kit?

If enough people just want the graphic, I can order a sheet to cut up and sell. I had it output on professional backlit transparency material before, so I'd have to have enough orders to make it worthwhile. I'll check into current costs and possibly throw up a thread.

I am however sharing the graphic with VoodooFX for those that do get his kit.

Last edited:
What all will be in the voodoofx communicator electronics? Just some LEDs, or will there be a sound chip, etc?

I'll let Randy of VoodooFX answer that one. I talked to him today and I know he's working on some ideas. We'll have to be patient as he just got his kits this week too.

It'sa...wha?

It really is THAT Pegasus Hobbies that's making these kits? Montclair, CA? Giant RC Car busting out of the side of the building facing the I-10?

Well carp....I'm heading back into the IE on Friday....I think it's time for daddy and mommy to bring their little girl to her first hobby shop....

My respect for them grows....

T

BTW, does anyone know where to get this ABS plastic kit chromed? Like vacu-chromed plastic is done, not real chrome. I'd like to do my Nebs that way.
You can try Chrome Tech USA; they do vacuum metalizing of plastic model parts. I spoke to the owner several years ago about having a plastic part chromed by them, and he seems to be a friendly and knowledgeable guy. Ultimately I didn't need their services so I have no first-hand experience regarding the quality of their work, but I've seen a lot of car modelers recommend them.

It really is THAT Pegasus Hobbies that's making these kits? Montclair, CA? Giant RC Car busting out of the side of the building facing the I-10?
Yes, it is. A couple of years ago the owner decided to add full model kits to the list of scale model aftermarket items they were manufacturing.

These are the first of their kit offerings that I've purchased but, based on what I've seen from these kits, they won't be the last. I've been building model kits since the late 60s (primarily styrene), and the Galaxy Quest kits are among the best I've seen with regards to detail, part fit, and engineering (i.e., how the parts fit together).

BTW, great review Redshirt! (y)thumbsup

Last edited:
I can't remember where I got these images from, if they're yours and you want me to remove them - let me know.

These images show the smaller of the miniatures.

kg_nsea_protector_studio_model-017.jpg

kg_nsea_protector_studio_model-018.jpg

kg_nsea_protector_studio_model-016.jpg

kg_nsea_protector_studio_model-013.jpg

kg_nsea_protector_studio_model-002.jpg

kg_nsea_protector_studio_model-003.jpg

kg_nsea_protector_studio_model-004.jpg

kg_nsea_protector_studio_model-007.jpg

Notice the registry is begins with STD...

I wonder if that was meant to be a subliminal reference to Jason Nesmith's womanizing ways... :cool

Great photos! Those panel lines appear to be drawn on with a drafting pencil.

Agreed, definately looks like pencil to me. Also notice the blue on the engines is prismatic tape, similar to what was used on the Star Trek II Phasers.

I can't remember where I got these images from, if they're yours and you want me to remove them - let me know.

These images show the smaller of the miniatures.

kg_nsea_protector_studio_model-017.jpg

kg_nsea_protector_studio_model-018.jpg

kg_nsea_protector_studio_model-016.jpg

kg_nsea_protector_studio_model-013.jpg

kg_nsea_protector_studio_model-002.jpg

kg_nsea_protector_studio_model-003.jpg

kg_nsea_protector_studio_model-004.jpg

kg_nsea_protector_studio_model-007.jpg

Notice the registry is begins with STD...

You most likely got those from the www.questarian.com site. They are still up there. You have to go to the Protector Blueprints page and choose the Reference link. It's the 2nd page of Reference pics.

That is the actual 15-1/4" TV Series Protector movie prop. Probably the reason for the different numbers I'm guessing. You can see how plain this one is. Pegasus used the larger model for detail which is better than this one. Glad they did.

Last edited:
Anyone have any ideas as to how to get a nice aztec texture pattern on the hull to give the Pegasus model some scale, like the big movie one?

protect_04.jpg

Last edited:
It's weird that the registration numbers on the small studio model don't match the one coming from Pegasus.

Which one is correct. Not sure what the movie ended up using for numbers.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back