Galaxy Quest Model Kits (early 2010) - Pegasus Hobbies

Thanks for the term correction and contribution.

The accuracy is close on the Vox and Nebulizer as their reference was photos only. I contacted Pegasus Hobbies after I heard about their kits with my "hero" props info. Unfortunately, they were already in production. The good thing is they did a pretty good job. At the Expo show I compared my "hero" props against the kits and saw some differences. There are some dimensions and curvatures that are off, but they came close and the overall size of the props is right. But, at this price you really can't complain, and they really are some very nice kits. And on the Vox they have the catch for the lid in the same place as the original prop...nice touch.

As for the sticker lightning graphic for the Vox, that is pretty far off. If there is an interest I'll have some of my accurate transparent graphics offered here for those that want to cut the Vox hole open and add the same accurate backlit graphic used in the movie (for all scenes other than the transporter scene). You would need to add lighting behind it. The transparency is a nice thick professional material.

voxgraphic.jpg

Image of screen-used prop

VOX003.jpg

NOTE: The lighting in this picture is warm and the prop is actually silver and hammered silver.

Here's my screen-used Thermian Nebulizer for reference

GQNeb.jpg

The black in the bottom of the side slits and the front side holes on the nozzle had worn off in use during the making of the movie.

Last edited:
Can you tell by the kit pics if there were any changes to the Nebulizer between the one you held and the final retail release?

So when can we expect them to be shipped? I live about 20 miles from there and work even closer, if I had known they were local I wouldn't have paid twice as much to have them shipped.

Thanks for the term correction and contribution.

The accuracy is close on the Vox and Nebulizer as their reference was photos only. I contacted Pegasus Hobbies after I heard about their kits with my "hero" props info. Unfortunately, they were already in production. The good thing is they did a pretty good job. At the Expo show I compared my "hero" props against the kits and saw some differences. There are some dimensions and curvatures that are off, but they came close and the overall size of the props is right. But, at this price you really can't complain, and they really are some very nice kits. And on the Vox they have the catch for the lid in the same place as the original prop...nice touch.

As for the sticker lightning graphic for the Vox, that is pretty far off. If there is an interest I'll have some of my accurate transparent graphics offered here for those that want to cut the Vox hole open and add the same accurate backlit graphic used in the movie (for all scenes other than the transporter scene). You would need to add lighting behind it. The transparency is a nice thick professional material.

voxgraphic.jpg

Image of screen-used prop

VOX003.jpg

NOTE: The lighting in this picture is warm and the prop is actually silver and hammered silver.

Here's my screen-used Thermian Nebulizer for reference

GQNeb.jpg

The black in the bottom of the side slits and the front side holes on the nozzle had worn off in use during the making of the movie.

Wow! great work on the decals! I just got my models yesterday & have already started woking on the electronics. Red Shirt drop me an PM when you get a chance. Knock out job!!! Thanks for showing the pic's : Randy

wow these look amazing, any word on what the pre-finished kits will be like? I know they are supposed to sell them in a set right? all done and ready for display? wondering if they can still be taken apart too?

I'm sharing the movie prop accurate lightning graphic with VoodoFX. So anyone that wants to upgrade their Vox with VoodoFX's great light kit will also get the graphic too if they decide to include it.

wow these look amazing, any word on what the pre-finished kits will be like? I know they are supposed to sell them in a set right? all done and ready for display? wondering if they can still be taken apart too?

The assembled kits look like the ones I show earlier in the thread on page 1. The actual props have a slightly different finish (see below) than the generic silver shown on the assembled Pegasus models. The review models I have don't come apart.

Here are pics of the Vox and Nebulizer.

GQVox01.jpg

GQVox02.jpg

GQVox03.jpg

You can see the Vox has a 2-tone finish with hammered metal silver and silver.

GQNeb01.jpg

GQNeb.jpg

The Nebulizer has a chrome and silver finish. The matte silver is on the cowl behind the emitter and the cowl underneath too, though the side rail is chrome front to back.

Last edited:
BTW, does anyone know where to get this ABS plastic kit chromed? Like vacu-chromed plastic is done, not real chrome. I'd like to do my Nebs that way. Has anyone tried the Mirra chrome paint or ones like it?

This thread will feature the new Galaxy Quest model kits (Vox Communicator, Thermian Nebulizer Raygun, NSEA Protector Spaceship) coming from Pegasus Hobbies in early 2010. The first versions of the kits are unassembled. After the first kits are released they will sell assembled kits without lighting or electronics.

The video and pictures here came from the 2009 iHobby Expo Show I attended in Chicago, Illinois.

First, I'll start off with the NSEA Protector, the spaceship of the Thermians based upon the Galaxy Quest TV series.

THE NSEA PROTECTOR

Model Specs
Length: 12.5 inches
Scale: 1:1400 scale
Notes: The kit comes with a nice base featuring the Galaxy Quest logo, along with clear blue parts for lighting. This is a model kit, requiring assembly and painting, unless you order the assembled kit.

My thoughts
I don't have detailed knowledge of the NSEA Protector like I do of the Vox and the Nebulizer, so I'm not aware of the exact dimensions and details. This kit's dimensions are based off the smallest version studio model built for the movie (12.5"), but the details were based upon study of the large NSEA Protector hanging in a hall at Lucasfilm's Industrial Light and Magic. There were no computer graphics used for the NSEA Protector in the movie.

For the NSEA Protector they had a movie prop to study carefully. Unfortunately, for the Vox and the Nebulizer they had only pictures to study, so the dimensions for those are close but not spot on to the props. But, at the prices these are selling for it's hard to complain. They are extremely affordable!

This NSEA kit looks pretty detailed and has clear colored parts to accomodate lighting to your model. VoodooFX is planning to come out with a lighting kit for this model. From hands-on study of this model I can say this licensed kit is far superior to the bubble-laden resin garage kit NSEA that came out on StarShip Modeler's store. The vacuformed plastic parts of this new kit are sturdy and very clean and nicely detailed. The decals that come with it are also very well done.

More reference on the NSEA studio prop
http://www.questarian.com/Blueprints/bp-protector.htm
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=9640

Where to Order
http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Galaxy-Quest-NSEA-Protector-Ship-from-Pegasus-Hobbies--PREORDER-RESERVATION_p_1051.html
Available now

VIDEO & PICTURES

YouTube Video Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeORL9HOa3M

The NSEA Protector

pro_602.jpg

pro_604.jpg

pro_575.jpg

pro_578.jpg

pro_605.jpg

Pro_609.jpg

PREProtecter.jpg

Pegasus Hobbies worked closely with the folks at ILM regarding the details of the NSEA Protector so it's quite accurate in its presentation. Both the 12" miniature version and the studio scale version were referenced as well. The kits turned out great.

Cheers,

Speederbiker

Can you tell by the kit pics if there were any changes to the Nebulizer between the one you held and the final retail release?

They all are identical, except the Paramount logo was removed on the final shipping Vox.

Ah, I was hoping they were going to try to do the actual plasma disk.

I'm sure someone here will mod there's to have it, but it's defintely a chore to cut down the pocket plasma disk and extend the Vox to fit it.

Pegasus Hobbies worked closely with the folks at ILM regarding the details of the NSEA Protector so it's quite accurate in its presentation. Both the 12" miniature version and the studio scale version were referenced as well. The kits turned out great.

Cheers,

Speederbiker

Yes, they visited ILM and had hands-on. The NSEA Protector kit detail is based upon the larger ILM model while the actual model kit size is based upon the smaller 12.5" TV Series ILM model. So this is a studio scale model. You can't do any better than that.

Last edited:
BTW, does anyone know where to get this ABS plastic kit chromed? Like vacu-chromed plastic is done, not real chrome. I'd like to do my Nebs that way. Has anyone tried the Mirra chrome paint or ones like it?
I've used the killer chrome in a can on several projects.... this is just a test here on a blister pack for dusk masks

Will

I've used the killer chrome in a can on several projects.... this is just a test here on a blister pack for dusk masks

Will
Are there any issues (that you noticed) with handling items painted with the Killer Chrome? (n)confused:thumbsup

Yes, they visited ILM and had hands-on. The NSEA Protector kit detail is based upon the larger ILM model while the actual model kit size is based upon the smaller 12.5" TV Series ILM model. So this is a studio scale model.

Right, I should have said 'the larger studio scale ship' which is 4+ feet long.

-Speederbiker

Will

Will, do you have to base coat this with a black underspray first to have the killerchrome look so good? Also, I'd like to know how it stands up to handling too?

If you clearcoat seal it, does the finish look less chrome-like? Does killerchrome have a suitable clear sealer?

Last edited:
I was also thinking of drilling out the windows on the NSEA. Is there a way to fill the drilled out windows in with a non-yellowing clear resin so I can install lights in the body and have it shine out? Or is it better to string fiber optic to each of the holes?

I really can't wait to see their Spielberg "War of the Worlds" Walker they will be coming out with next. They are using the original 3D model studio files, so it should be dynamite!!

Last edited:
I really can't wait to see their Spielberg "War of the Worlds" Walker they will be coming out with next. They are using the original 3D model studio files, so it should be dynamite!!

Yup, they're using the original ILM CG model data for the WoW Tripods and aliens as well. These are going to be a sweet addition to the collection for sure.

Oh yeah, forgot the new WoW aliens! Pegasus Hobbies Rules!!

Here's the colors for the painting of the Vox (Rustoleum Hammered Silver 7123 & Rustoleum Metallic Matte Nickel 7277). This is the instruction sheet to the kit I sold awhile back. The colors were matched to the real props. I haven't bought these paints for a few years, so I'm hoping they are still available.

NOTE: Obviously since the whole thing is silver I had to pick out other colors in the instructions to show where the colors go. The prop is not purple.

VoxAssemblyGuide.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back