Galaxy’s Edge Millennium Falcon—Is it Full Size?

SonofJorEl

Finally visited Galaxy’s Edge and was blown away by the overall scope. The Falcon looked amazing IRL, but I started to think about it and wondered if Disney built it slightly smaller than the full sized exterior seen in ESB and the 2 newest movies.

Lucasfilm VP and Executive Creative Director Doug Chiang has dubbed “the quintessential Millennium Falcon.” Over the years, the ship has been realized on a number of different sets. “There were many different iterations,” Chiang explains. “For the original trilogy, we had an 88-foot version. For our more recent films, they varied between 110- to 112-[feet]. We took all that information, all those elements and distilled it down into the one iconic Millennium Falcon both in scale and in detail.”

Still doesn’t actually tell you how close it is. I saw a pic of the Park Chewie in the cockpit—and he looks too large.
There are Falcon experts on this board—what say you?

Check out the shot of Chewie in the cockpit in ESB when Han's yelling "turn it off!" Chewie is too large in that, too. The film ships are something like 10% too small, maybe more. The Galaxy's Edge ship is at least as big as the ESB/ROTJ set, I'm thinking maybe even a little larger. If it was truly full scale, the ramp would have to be incredibly steep for the bottom to reach the ground. There is no winning to scaling the "ship of riddles"....

Yeah, the ramp is definitely a place that betrays the GE Falcon size. The ramp is down, but only a small kid could actually enter it; not a normal sized adult.

Yeah, the ramp is definitely a place that betrays the GE Falcon size. The ramp is down, but only a small kid could actually enter it; not a normal sized adult.

What do you mean that the GE Falcon's ramp is down? It's not down, not the one on display on the outside of the ride building, it's completely up.

The ramp is down.
670822C4-D35F-439E-B466-0E073ABEC7CF.jpeg

I recall that when the attraction was first coming out, it was determined that the static display ship was not full sized.

Though, as someone that has never been, that raises a question in my mind... is the falcon display something you even get to walk around near, or is it off the path/unreachable? Is it possible that the area around the falcon is smaller scale also, to give the impression of a full sized falcon, that's farther away than it really is?

You can get very near. The ride queue goes right up to those rust-colored barriers you see in the pics, so you pass right under the mandibles and the cockpit. The surrounding building is functional, as the queue goes up into it as well, so that you're looking at the Falcon right outside the open windows of the building. So there's no visual cheating on that score.

We have threads on how the ship would have to be way bigger, and even shaped a little different, to fit all the studio sets in it. I'm satisfied that it seems to be at least as big as the "full scale" ships used in the films.

To me the main issues are the cockpit being about 20% small and the overall depth of the ship being to shallow. Of course my impression is skewed from interior film shots of the falcon.

The Ramp is down at GE in Florida. The ship IMO looks like it is to scale as far as length and width, but it definitely set's to low to the ground. There is no way for Han to be able to run up the ramp shooting and not split his head open.

They always had to duck at the bottom of the ramp in the films...
I know these are a little hard to tell. I'm 6 ft and I would have to bend down quite a bit. My daughter is just over 4 ft and it looks like she could go up the ramp but have to duck to go under the ship.

Attachments

• 20200221_173237.jpg
    20200221_173237.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 485
  • 20200221_173144.jpg
    20200221_173144.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 496
I know these are a little hard to tell. I'm 6 ft and I would have to bend down quite a bit. My daughter is just over 4 ft and it looks like she could go up the ramp but have to duck to go under the ship.
No offense, but those pictures don't prove or disprove anything since there's quite a bit perspective in the photo. You and your daughter are too far in front of the ramp to get an accurate idea of just how tall you and her are in comparison.

Thanks for sharing the photos. It may not in fact be fully sized Falcon, but hey they can get pretty close i am sure budgets and overheads cost may have put certain restraints on the grand size of the ship. It obviously pretty massive from the look of several peoples photos.

The Falcon's exterior (just a hollow shell) was built 82 feet long in the old trilogy.

The interior set matched a bigger 114-foot long exterior size. (Well, sorta matched. The interiors couldn't match any exterior size perfectly. Rooms & hallways were at wrong angles.)

The cockpit tunnel (exterior) was something like 6-7 feet around on the exterior shell. But the interior cockpit set would have needed a 9-10 foot outside diameter.

I haven't see the Galaxy's Edge Falcon set in person. But I would assume it's no more than the OT exterior size. Theme parks are always under a lot of pressure to keep things small.

No offense, but those pictures don't prove or disprove anything since there's quite a bit perspective in the photo. You and your daughter are too far in front of the ramp to get an accurate idea of just how tall you and her are in comparison.
This still from a video I took at the Anaheim Galaxy's Edge might be a little more informative. We have a 1:1 R2D2 on just about the same plane as the ramp.

Screenshot_20200304-213857_Video Player.jpg

20200304_213940.jpg

20200304_215544.jpg

Millennium_Falcon_ANH.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back