Galactic Marine Helmet

Heatshock

Sr Member
I have yet to post up any of my building work on the RPF - btu thought I would share this little pet project of mine.

Love the Galatic Marines from the SW prequel trilogy. I have purposely avoided looking at the other fan made/WIP of this helmet and went back to ref images and screen caps. I also wanted to avoid using the GG bust

CGGMTurnaroundREF.jpg

which contradicts this pic - when it comes to positioning the cheek level

index-1-Copy.jpg

from screen caps showing the vent levels:

aa2.jpg
aa3.jpg

pics backing of the toy - shows what I mean abt the vent AND the cheek level

aa1.jpg

that along with the turn-around views convinced me that the vent should be at or just above the eye level

and this pic again abt the cheek and bucket edge

f4ce7610.jpg

all of which helped me to decide where to position the cheeks, nose and rear vent for my helmet

its a pep based helmet - combo of skip and armecore from the 405th

240420101961.jpg

I see pep as a very basic structure to build up on. In te old days I would have looked for a plastic bowl or a sports helmet. Now I use pep; and extensively modify by cutting into it and filled in with bondo and clay

eg I cut away abt 1 cm of the brow to have access to nose and eye sockets for sanding

2010-11-11012855.jpg

2010-11-11012925.jpg

this is what it looks like once the brow is replaced. close to the end now :D

2010-11-18073058.jpg

2010-11-18073156.jpg

Last edited:
Very, very nice!

Just out of interest, what paint is that? The Primer is the same automotive primer I grab from Halfords, but I'm loving that shade of red.

thanks guys. Personally very pleased how it turned out

Pep - its pepakura. Its basically oragami for the 21st century. And its freeware with lots of models out there. The problem in my eyes is that people use it as a substitute for sculpting. Pepakura, no matter how well done is only the base, and lots more work needs to complete the build to make it a proper and accurate prop replica. It aint a short cut (which some people seem to use it for), just another in a wide range of techniques you can use to build from :D

definately, I am gonna try and offer em at a reasonable price, but the international shipping is killing me from the UK..... thats the biggest hurdle......

The problem in my eyes is that people use it as a substitute for sculpting. Pepakura, no matter how well done is only the base, and lots more work needs to complete the build to make it a proper and accurate prop replica. It aint a short cut (which some people seem to use it for), just another in a wide range of techniques you can use to build from :D

I just read your note about pepakura. Very insightful. Food for thought for this novice. And your work is inspiring! Curious...how many hours between finishing pep to paintable surface (ie hours spent bondo/sanding)?

thanks mate. I think most prop makers probably think that too tbh.

I dont really remember, but it was a project I took about a year to do as I treat this as purely a hobby. If you have more time, I have a good mate who does it from pep to finished surface in abt 50-60 hrs, including the initial pep work.

Nate

I knew it wasnt going to be a v popular helmet, as it only got seconds on screen, but u love whatcha love :)

Realised I never answered the paint question. The mix is halfords primer, halfords matt black then rustoleum claret, it was nath smith (fettgear) and darren lanthorne (the ct detachment xo) who deserve the credit for the colour scheme. Surprisingly, the black undercoat is impt to bringing out the rich earthy burgundy. My mock really could use aight sand to take more shine off tbh.

Thx for the comments guys, it aint perfect, but its my baby :)

Nedax drop me a pm w ur address and will get a quote for yer. Helmets are made on request and come w mesh for the vents, lens material and the same vinyl I used for my own cowl. Cost of the kit is £100 or $160 US dollars + shipping.

Nate

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back