Functional Pip-boy 3000 Mk IV from Fallout 4

The one person who has make it work so far required running it on a Raspberry Pi with HyperPixel 4.0, Square which I don't understand as I co-developed the code both on my PC and on the Pi at the same time. I used PyCharm and a virtual instance during development.

There may be some code somewhere that prevents the display from working without the HyperPixel, but I don't remember where. I tried to make my code detect what system it was one and run appropriately, but I am still learning python. I am deep into my radio project, and haven't touched this in months, so I can't really say without spinning the whole thing back up.

I do remember that pygame and some of the requirements listed have their own libraries required, I may have installed those at some point, but lost the links or didn't get them listed.

I appreciate the reply, I got it running late last night on a Elecrow 5 inch touchscreen display. After I had all of the requirements downloaded and tried to run the code, it actually required me to download games and another module through the terminal. Once I got both of those installed it worked great. I am not trying to get code to work to make it respond to the touchscreen. I will keep you posted and show you my project when I get it put together. I appreciate the code as well. I tried so many others and none would work.

I am glad you got it working. PyGame has touch-screen methods, and the original Pypboy code that I started from has some basic touch-screen input, but I opted to just remove it to make my project easier, (and because it doesn't have that in-game either)

zapwizard Awesome work man on all the updated pycode for this project! Do you know if I wanted to try to run this on a touchscreen setup with my pi 4 would it be functional? I know you designed it to run with analog button inputs but could one theoretically just use a touch screen to navigate through the program's menus and features?

Thanks for all your awesome work on this huge project!

I specifically took out the Touch-screen control code which was in the earlier versions of PypBoy
The reason was that it setup for hardcoding the coordinates for much of the GUI, and I want mine to be more modular.
It could be added, by looking up how to do a PyGame input with a touch-screen, but it isn't something I will be doing.

I guess you could minimally add in touch input that had arrow keys, select and back in different areas, those could be fed to the input/actions que.

Have you explored using things like Github Copilot to write and rewrite code for specific chunks of the project? The use could really speed up your production since the coding is automated. Especially for things like button inputs, (volume, menu selection and navigation, etc.) I think it might be really useful on projects such as this because it writes in context of a project's existing code.

I am actually done with my coding for the Radiation King Radio. I used Sourcery to re-form a few sections of the code, but it often puts into a non-human readable format that I find hard to debug. I haven't tried Github Copilot.

Hello, its me, the guy who keeps bugging you on your youtube channel. found this place. pretty cool, Thanks for the tip about sls printing though, was about to print on my ender 3 s1 then saw what would happen, i Know that was like 6 years ago but still thnxs

I have done these parts on a FDM printer, they require lots of supports, and the small internal details don't turn out.
SLS printing can be expensive, even if printed on a Fuse1, it is still hundreds of dollars of material.

The one person who has make it work so far required running it on a Raspberry Pi with HyperPixel 4.0, Square which I don't understand as I co-developed the code both on my PC and on the Pi at the same time. I used PyCharm and a virtual instance during development.

There may be some code somewhere that prevents the display from working without the HyperPixel, but I don't remember where. I tried to make my code detect what system it was one and run appropriately, but I am still learning python. I am deep into my radio project, and haven't touched this in months, so I can't really say without spinning the whole thing back up.

I do remember that pygame and some of the requirements listed have their own libraries required, I may have installed those at some point, but lost the links or didn't get them listed.
zapwizard hey man! I'm attempting to get this working on own pi setup but I'm a total noob with using repositories on raspberry pi. Would you be willing to guide me through getting your software up and running? I am able to clone it to my device but I know there are some steps in getting requirements setup with other repositories and I'm not sure how to get those or even "run" the program once it's all installed.

I'm using a raspberry pi 4 and my screen is a waveshare 4 inch touch screen square (720x720). Though I know this requires button inputs via keyboard for now.

Any help is appreciated!

I really couldn't because I am a noob also, it took many hours to get everything working, I had to just dig through each error and fix it. The requirements list is automatically made by PyCharm, but I can't be sure it is 100% complete. I do know that the only other person to get it working ended up having to use the same Hyperpixel 4.0 display, but nothing in the code should force that, as I debug it on both windows and the pi.

I haven't touched the code in a few months, and would have to spin everything back up to even try.

I really couldn't because I am a noob also, it took many hours to get everything working, I had to just dig through each error and fix it. The requirements list is automatically made by PyCharm, but I can't be sure it is 100% complete. I do know that the only other person to get it working ended up having to use the same Hyperpixel 4.0 display, but nothing in the code should force that, as I debug it on both windows and the pi.

I haven't touched the code in a few months, and would have to spin everything back up to even try.
Ah no problem, thanks for the reply!

Hello. Just wondering if you are still working on this. I actually downloaded your code but I'm a noob. Thus I couldn't get it to work. Probably didn't have the right modules installed or something. Nonetheless seeing what you did with a raspberry pi inspired me to give it a go. I watched a tutorial on YouTube called the ultimate pygame tutorial. I looked things up as needed and tried things until I got results. It's a very simple code and probably full of amateur mistakes.

Anyway...I mostly wanted to show my work and see if anyone would like to collaborate. I'm not worried about sharing my code.

Anyway...here's my take on the 2000 mk vi so far. Not nearly done just sort of outlining everything. I used place holder pics in some places. The vault boy and the selector line I made myself by cropping pictures and cutting gifs into frames. The boot sequence I made the same way and added audio next to it.

Still figuring out which subcategories I'm going to use. There are a few that really only make sense in game. No real life translation. Also there's no map in the 2000mk vi but...I want a map lol. Right now it's the commonwealth as a place holder.

Attachments

• 20230923_225426.mp4
    58.3 MB
Last edited:
Someday I will get back into this project. It comes and goes. I am still learning also, so my code needs lots of work.
Your interface looks good so far.

Someday I will get back into this project. It comes and goes. I am still learning also, so my code needs lots of work.
Your interface looks good so far.
I completely understand that. I lose inspiration on projects all the time.
I appreciate the compliment! My code so far is very simple. Probably has really long round about ways of doing things lol. So far it just switches between different displays. No real functions. I am very proud of the animations though lol. I was "tickled pink" when I got them to work. My first plan was to use mp4 files to just play the boot up sequence and gifs for animations. That didn't work lol.

Anyway, thanks for the reply! Feel free to hit me up if you get back into it and want to bounce ideas or anything like that. No pressure.

Getting the animations working well is tricky.
I have been trying to have everything generated or dynamic as much as possible, rather than any hard set screens. I want to go back and make every screen more modular at some point.

Getting the animations working well is tricky.
I have been trying to have everything generated or dynamic as much as possible, rather than any hard set screens. I want to go back and make every screen more modular at some point.
Sounds great. I'll have to go back and look at your code again when I have more experience. I didnt want to plagiarize anyway lol. I did notice you have different .py files calling to each other. My code is only 3. The boot sequence, the main pipboy screens, and a .py that runs them both. I'm curious about separating the code out more to keep it organized.

For now I'm just trying to get the pages filled out but I get distracted trying other things lol. I just added a place holder image and a key function to start playing music in the radio tab. But it's not working right so I haven't moved on lol. Also working on the frames for the audio waves. Back and forth from working on the code to learning fusion 360.

Attachments

• 20230926_013501.mp4
    70.6 MB
Really cool project. Awesome work.(y)

I have one of this old Pip boys from the fallout 4 collectors edition.
It would be great to mod it that it would be a little bit like this one.

Really cool project. Awesome work.(y)

I have one of this old Pip boys from the fallout 4 collectors edition.
It would be great to mod it that it would be a little bit like this one.
Nice. I wanted one of those so bad lol. Missed the boat and never found one. And any time I see them online the price is to the moon.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back