Functional Pip-boy 3000 Mk IV from Fallout 4

Nice. I wanted one of those so bad lol. Missed the boat and never found one. And any time I see them online the price is to the moon.
Oh that sounds really bad.The pipboy is really nice and has a good quality..but you have only the space for a handy inside and you can use the Pipboy-App with it.I would like a more independent solution thats always "on" to diplay it.

Oh that sounds really bad.The pipboy is really nice and has a good quality..but you have only the space for a handy inside and you can use the Pipboy-App with it.I would like a more independent solution thats always "on" to diplay it.
Yea I would probably be tempted to cut out more space inside and give it a shot but I also wouldn't want to ruin a collector's item like that. I looked for the pip-boy app recently and couldn't find it unfortunately. I wanted to use it with Fallout 4 lol. I haven't really anywhere other than the Google play store and Apple store.

Depending on the space there could be a way to make it work without damaging it.. Maybe using a smaller Raspberry Pi, a screen, and a thin battery. But without completely gutting it, and ruining the value of the Pip-Boy, I don't think you could get working switches and sound etc. I don't know though, I've never seen one in person just online. Not sure if you could open it and modify it without damaging it too much. But you might be able to just display the stat page. Then cover any size issues with some sort of black foam around the screen. At the very least, a cool display. And if you are able to run wires through it and mount other components somewhere in it, maybe go ahead and give the full thing a shot.

Yea I would probably be tempted to cut out more space inside and give it a shot but I also wouldn't want to ruin a collector's item like that. I looked for the pip-boy app recently and couldn't find it unfortunately. I wanted to use it with Fallout 4 lol. I haven't really anywhere other than the Google play store and Apple store.

Depending on the space there could be a way to make it work without damaging it.. Maybe using a smaller Raspberry Pi, a screen, and a thin battery. But without completely gutting it, and ruining the value of the Pip-Boy, I don't think you could get working switches and sound etc. I don't know though, I've never seen one in person just online. Not sure if you could open it and modify it without damaging it too much. But you might be able to just display the stat page. Then cover any size issues with some sort of black foam around the screen. At the very least, a cool display. And if you are able to run wires through it and mount other components somewhere in it, maybe go ahead and give the full thing a shot.
Do you have a 3D printer? If so, you could use one of the models freely available on the usual sites. I'm modifying VIicthor's 2000 Mk VI model, available here ... Fallout76 Pip-Boy 2000 Mk VI by Victhor. Save you cutting up a "real" Pip-Boy. While I haven't compared the two directly I think there's more room inside Victhor's model than the Wand Co. offering, and if there isn't it's easy enough to modify. Well, it is if you've got Fusion360 skills.

The app is available here ... https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/bethe...ase/fallout-pip-boy-1-2-android-apk-download/ I downloaded it and had no trouble getting it running on an RPi, with Android installed, connected to a screen using HDMI. Getting it running on a 4 inch screen is still a work in progress.

Only been at this 4 years, on and off, started with a Geiger counter, of all things, way too big to fit any model but, as a proof of concept, it worked well enough. Once V's model has been "hollowed out" I can get "The World's Smallest Geiger Counter" in there, clicks away happily and a cheap, very modified, moving coil meter works fine. (Geiger Counter here ... Weekend Sale! C7061 - World's Smallest Geiger Counter Electronic Goldmine is having a sale at the moment it's down from US$130 to US$50 at the moment. [no connection])

Having taught myself enough Fusion360 to play with V's model I now find myself trying to learn enough Python to get ZapWizard's code working. I'm an ancient programmer from way back so this not proving to be too difficult. Identifying every library that needs to be included is a different matter.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
Do you have a 3D printer? If so, you could use one of the models freely available on the usual sites. I'm modifying VIicthor's 2000 Mk VI model, available here ... Fallout76 Pip-Boy 2000 Mk VI by Victhor. Save you cutting up a "real" Pip-Boy. While I haven't compared the two directly I think there's more room inside Victhor's model than the Wand Co. offering, and if there isn't it's easy enough to modify. Well, it is if you've got Fusion360 skills.

The app is available here ... https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/bethe...ase/fallout-pip-boy-1-2-android-apk-download/ I downloaded it and had no trouble getting it running on an RPi, with Android installed, connected to a screen using HDMI. Getting it running on a 4 inch screen is still a work in progress.

Only been at this 4 years, on and off, started with a Geiger counter, of all things, way too big to fit any model but, as a proof of concept, it worked well enough. Once V's model has been "hollowed out" I can get "The World's Smallest Geiger Counter" in there, clicks away happily and a cheap, very modified, moving coil meter works fine. (Geiger Counter here ... Weekend Sale! C7061 - World's Smallest Geiger Counter Electronic Goldmine is having a sale at the moment it's down from US$130 to US$50 at the moment. [no connection])

Having taught myself enough Fusion360 to play with V's model I now find myself trying to learn enough Python to get ZapWizard's code working. I'm an ancient programmer from way back so this not proving to be too difficult. Identifying every library that needs to be included is a different matter.

Good luck with your project.
I did actually download that model and some others but when I load it into fusion the sketch lines are all over the place. And I'm brand spankin new to fusion. So I've just been making my own. Not great but it looks OK for now and has the room I need. Now I'm having an issue with my prints. The support prints as a part of the main piece and I haven't figured it out yet. I might take another look at those models now that I know how to manipulate things a little better in fusion.

As for the code I've looked at ZapWizard's. I've referenced it for ideas. But I haven't got it working. I'm a total noob just bumbling my way through this lol. I've been writing my own code from scratch so that i understand it from the ground up. So far no real functions. Just screens, selectors, animations, and sounds.

Currently I'm filling the screens out and working on the print in fusion. But it's been a standstill for about 3 days. I'm just not very good at making my own prints yet lol. First I printed it with the walls too thin. Now I've fixed that and it's printing the main part and the support as one piece and when i try to remove it, it breaks. I've only printed other people's models before.

Heres a little update...as you can see... I still have quite a ways to go and quite a bit to figure out.

Edit - I tried messing with the victhor model again and had much better luck. I'm gaining knowledge!!! Lol now to see if I got the dimensions right. Also thanks for posting the pip-boy f4 app! That's awesome. I missed having it lol.

Edit - another update video - deleted some of this post because it was irrelevant and getting long.

I've done quite a bit more...and reworked some things. But this post is getting really long lol..

Switched to Raspberry Pi Zero 2.

Attachments

• 20231004_105330.jpg
    20231004_105330.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 114
  • 20231004_105252.jpg
    20231004_105252.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 106
  • 20231004_182311.jpg
    20231004_182311.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 88
  • 20231004_182251.jpg
    20231004_182251.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 92
  • 20231005_164646.jpg
    20231005_164646.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 86
  • 20231014_004109.mp4
    98.3 MB
  • 20231030_205020.jpg
    20231030_205020.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
  • 20231030_205008.jpg
    20231030_205008.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • 20231030_204943.jpg
    20231030_204943.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
  • 20231030_204917.jpg
    20231030_204917.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 107
  • 20231029_020327.jpg
    20231029_020327.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I'm still working on this when I have time. Been kind of busy so it has been slow. I had extreme lag issues with the zero 2 so...back to the 4b. If anyone is interested in helping out I'd be open to it for sure. I was originally using the victhor models and customizing them but I've traced over them in fusion 360 to make my own. But I'm not very good at it yet. So if anyone would like to help with the coding or modeling please let me know. I have quite a bit done and I'm willing to share my work.

Attachments

• 20231120_181035.jpg
    20231120_181035.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • 20231120_182348.jpg
    20231120_182348.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
  • 20231120_182358.jpg
    20231120_182358.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
I'm still working on this when I have time. Been kind of busy so it has been slow. I had extreme lag issues with the zero 2 so...back to the 4b. If anyone is interested in helping out I'd be open to it for sure. I was originally using the victhor models and customizing them but I've traced over them in fusion 360 to make my own. But I'm not very good at it yet. So if anyone would like to help with the coding or modeling please let me know. I have quite a bit done and I'm willing to share my work.
Hey,
I'm not certain what you mean when you say you've "traced over" Victhor's model. Have you considered using his F360 file and modifying it? Happy to help out if you need it.

Might be a good idea to start your own thread, save filling up ZW's with ideas that aren't, necessarily, his. (ZW did suggest I do the same some years ago when I posted a "proof of concept" Geiger Counter here)

Renruin, i know I haven’t been working on my Pip-Boy in a while, but please do make your own thread. This one is already very long and the images just confuse others, I have even gotten a few emails from folks thinking this was me.

Hey,
I'm not certain what you mean when you say you've "traced over" Victhor's model. Have you considered using his F360 file and modifying it? Happy to help out if you need it.
Traced as in...I imported the model to fusion and created sketches using the victhor model as a reference for size.
Renruin, i know I haven’t been working on my Pip-Boy in a while, but please do make your own thread. This one is already very long and the images just confuse others, I have even gotten a few emails from folks thinking this was me.
Ok. My bad. Just kinda figured this was the pip-boy place. I'll make a separate post some time.

rusleader, please check RenRuin’s profile to see if he has made his own thread for his project as currently this thread is now so off the rail I will have to post some updates just to remind folks it is my project thread.

Hey i have come across your post a few times i myself have a fully functional thinkgeek pip-boy and i was wondering if there was a way to modify it via a new case (3d print), functional Geiger counter, 2 way radio setting, and still retain its original Bluetooth services

I honestly do not know if you will ever mass produce yours but i am working on a project for building a fallout shelter for my community irl and think your pip-boy could actually be really helpful

i have sone specifications questions and some ideas regarding design:

Will yours have a 2 way radio

Is your built in Geiger counter properly calibrated for a reading of 0 - 10 rads

Will your have a health diagnostic system? As in heartrate, temperature, blood pressure or other bodily functions

Will you consider using the thinkgeek software (minus the potential error known to happen) including a touch screen to use an actual map from google earth images (or something similar)?

rusleader, please check RenRuin’s profile to see if he has made his own thread for his project as currently this thread is now so off the rail I will have to post some updates just to remind folks it is my project thread.
Sorry bout that i literally just made a post with specific questions i am not used to using this site so i dont understand it quite yet

Hey Zap. I figure you are still busy with life and other Projects but if there are any updates, i'd love to see them if there are any. Been a longtime follower of this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back