Fully 3D Printed Functional MK 42 !! :0

how much did that 3d print machine cost and how did you get so precise. did you scan an image and sent the info to the 3d machine? would love to get one to speed up my ironman project.

Looking forward to the updates! been enjoying the images and videos. This just popped up on reddit.com but here is a video of 3d printing liquid metal . It's a tiny step in the right direction.

Oh cool, thanks for letting me know about that! I will also check into the printing liquid metal link also. I'm trying to wrap my brain around how much of the suit could be converted to Aluminum instead depending on whether or not I could potentially learn how to use the giant tig welder. Welding Aluminum is an art form as far as I'm concerned, but I was stoked to see that the G-code generation program could import .stl and .obj!

Sounds incredible! So how many people are in your team?

Well, we have a private group that all the stuff is discussed in and so far almost everyone is on there... 6 and potentially 7 with the new CNC tech guy? We worked really well together trouble shooting the CNC the other night. :)

how much did that 3d print machine cost and how did you get so precise. did you scan an image and sent the info to the 3d machine? would love to get one to speed up my ironman project.

Well, this is an Afinia H-Series. $1500 for the setup I have. No scanning yet, I created it oh so carefully in Maya. Then I export it as an OBJ to be sized and sliced in Netfabb, then I send it over as an STL to the Afinia printer software. Whala. Just weld and there you have it. ;)

I love making it sound easy.. you should see the instructables I made for this 3d printing contest on their site. Six little steps to making an armored boot. Arts and crafts time kids! Just design, engineer, and print an Iron Man suit!

I was on vacation and very busy these past couple weeks! But, I spent a couple days modeling the toe for the new and improved boot! I decided to add material and light it for "eye candy" haha.

boottoe_1_side.jpegboottoe_1_qrt.jpegboottoe_1_frnt.jpeg

I have been super busy with two jobs and vacations this summer, but now I have a new workstation for my project and started modeling more on the boot this morning! :) The team is helping out with prep for our booth at the fair.

bootv2_4.2_back.pngbootv2_4.2_qtr.pngbootv2_4.2_side.png

hey it seems that there is some distortion on your model !
you might want to fix it before printing it ;)

Ok, let me know where the distortion is. You probably mean the pinching here and there due to smoothing? Thats easy touchup work. :) Where can I find your builds?

This is absolutely amazing. 3D printers are so cool. And they can do metal now???

Thanks, yes I hope someday these files could be printed in some kind of titanium.

really awesome, hope I can get as good at 3d modelling as you!

You can get as good, I learned how to advance into this hard surfacing from some simple pointers on this thread. :) I use Maya, which does take some time to learn though.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back