Full mask vs. half mask for hunting/suiting up

WhiskeyBeard

Hey folks,

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were regarding the full masks or half masks when it comes to actually wearing the suit for extended periods. (Conventions, Halloween, etc.)

Here's the thing, I have a DB P1 V2 that is still raw and trimmed, with a small slit cut in the mouth. I really love this mask but it is hard as hell to breathe in it. I plan on sculpting, molding, and casting a custom Bio for my suit, based off the mask that I end up using. I would hate to cover up the mask, as it can look amazing when finished and painted.

I am leaning towards getting a half mask such as xdmray's and using the DB as a P1 style display piece. I just wanted to get some experienced advice before I went any further and completed a full mask with a custom paint job, dread it up, and custom Bio only to realize I needed the half mask to survive inside the suit.

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: I have a full beard, if that make a difference.

Mike

well ..here's my take on it. It takes a certain amount of fortitude to wear a full latex suit no matter how comfortable you try and make it. Is wearing a full mask and Bio unbearable? For some it is ...I tend to get into the zone and tough it out .. Honestly the first 20 minutes are the worst ..thats when the "panic" factor kicks in..if you can ride it out and be aware of you own limitations, you will be fine ..its gonna be hot no matter what. I've done both the full mask and the half mask/bio with fans combo ..while of course there was a certain degree of comfortability in the latter, it would be entirely up to what effect you are going for. If I'm going to show off all the features of my suit, I wear the full head combo ...nothing beats lifting that Bio to reveal the face. However almost everybody in view of your suit will be impressed however you wear it. If you are prone to claustrophobia and extreme heat bothers you..perhaps a pred suit is best for display only.

I will never wear a full mask again. I was amazed how much a single little fan helps blowing in your face. Im a half mask/bio fan for life! Full masks in suit can suck it!

PS...I love lamp.

If you've seen the pictures of me in the Dragon*Con 2010 parade, there are some where I have my bio on, and some where I've taken it off. I wasn't just doing it to show off the paint job on my mask -- I was taking it off because it was getting hard to breathe through the mask with the bio on. It's not like I had to breathe heavily or anything, but the exertion of marching through downtown Atlanta just added enough to make me work.

That said, I got a chance to show off the paint job on my mask.

I have some holes cut in the mouth area of my mask so I can breathe through it. I tried to make the holes as inconspicuous as possible by putting them at the back of the mouth and behind the teeth. At the end of the day, though, it's better to be able to breathe than to keel over in a 100% accurate costume.

I'm building my first suit and was in the same situation you are in...

"to full mask or to half mask...that is the question?"

I really wanted to be able to take off the bio and boom, a full mask. But for me, even wearing the full mask and bio around the house is a bit much. It seem as if you really really have to make a path of where you are going to walk, and even still there is the chance of hitting something. I took the full mask off and held the bio in front of me and to me it's a bit better. After a while, I really like the added mystery it gives.

I'm going to be going with a xdmray half mask for under my bio and my full P1 will be a trophy for my suit.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

honestly, since halloween will be my official suit up, I'm glad my Rubies Berserker mask has a small hole in behind the jaw bone piece . . . and my head being a bit small inside the mask to begin with. Anyone know how to fill up empty space in masks?

I installed a double 2.5cm cpu fan system in my Bio and it really helps to pull air into the helmet and blowing on the face. It also keeps the helmet lenses from fogging up.
Here's the tutorial:

Dual_CPU_Ventilation_System_by_MichaelLoh.jpg

Right on, thanks guys.

I have something pretty special in mind for a the Bio, it will be kind of a focal point to the suit. So, I guess in my case the Bio is more important. I don't mind the heat or claustrophobia of the suit. I figured out how to help with that too, but being able to breathe is nice. I appreciate the advice alot.

Mike

I installed a double 2.5cm cpu fan system in my Bio and it really helps to pull air into the helmet and blowing on the face. It also keeps the helmet lenses from fogging up.
Well don Mike.

I have something pretty special in mind for a the Bio, it will be kind of a focal point to the suit. So, I guess in my case the Bio is more important.
When I got into my bio's design I considered where to do fans. I haven't finished them yet but I put slots in my ears to be cut out as an intake and the added ring will be the ducting to the fan in the face.

I have had the same issue as berserk_wolf. I have added foam to the insides of the mask with velcro. That way the foam can be removed if needed. Add foam as necessary depending on your size...trial and error is what I used. It really helped with taking up the extra room in the mask and allows for a snug fit, which is what you are looking for. The only issue I am having now is the front of the mask tracks upward due to the heavier weight of the back of the mask with the dreds and all. Any one have any ideas on how to counter balance?

At the end of the day, it's better to be able to breathe than to keel over in a 100% accurate costume.

You got that right!

I nearly always go for a cleverly designed and well concealed half mask for my pred masks and If i have a bio - its gotta have hidden vents - or fit loosely around the lower part of the mouth enough for ventilation. Computer mini chip fans wouldn't be a bad idea if you're making a custom bio helm from scratch and can coceal them and battery pack for that and your lasers

If i'm making a maquette or bust - heck - go for 100% real - but if your going to wear it around for long periods of time - you gotta be SAFE and as comfortable as possible.

You have to design for proper breathing/Ventilation and head dissipation if you plan on wearing your mask/half mask or full and costume for long periods of time. Heat or CO2 is a real danger with a lot of costumes - folks don't keep that in mind enough. Even Professional VFX artists get caught up in juicy details and neglect safety. I can't recall how many cautionary tales of actors nearly asphyxiating on set in space suits I've heard .(Alien, Star Trek First Contact - oops not enough vents sorry guys LOL.)in space suits I've heard .(Alien, Star Trek First Contact - oops not enough vents sorry guys LOL.)

Cathat

After being in both I would definitely say half mask. I last longer in my suit and it's easier for me to chill/hydrate. I am a tad claustrophobic so it helps too.

I have had the same issue as berserk_wolf. I have added foam to the insides of the mask with velcro. That way the foam can be removed if needed. Add foam as necessary depending on your size...trial and error is what I used. It really helped with taking up the extra room in the mask and allows for a snug fit, which is what you are looking for. The only issue I am having now is the front of the mask tracks upward due to the heavier weight of the back of the mask with the dreds and all. Any one have any ideas on how to counter balance?

thnx for answering my question bro! and um . . . where can i buy velcro? haha

Ask Neokazama what he thinks...

He wore a full face mask and almost passed out literally.

Half mask is the way to go as far as breathing goes...

XDMRAYs undermask is top notch. I wore it 2 days straight at NYCC and it fit amazingly compfortable. I was able to cut ear holes to be able to hear people. I covered the holes with black fabric from the inside. I also lined the interior neck with felt so it would slide over my skin on my neck. Preventing any chaffing.
It fits my Brother Boar bio perfectly BTW.

thnx for answering my question bro! and um . . . where can i buy velcro? haha

No problem. Happy to help. I bought mine from Lowes. I'm sure Home Depot or Wal-Mart would have it also. Make sure you get the industrial strenght version though. It comes in different lengths and I paid $9 for a 9FT length. Good luck.

.'. I do the full mask thing but let me tell you after 4 hours if your not careful you could pass out. It hasn’t happened to me yet (knock on wood), but last time I suited up my brother was with me luckily and I said "get me out of this" I started feeling sick :sick: too and it wouldn’t be good throwing up inside your mask . I have a helper give me water through the hole in the mouth with a long flex straw :( . When I suited up for the Predators movie release I had the bio on some, but people always asked me to take it off. Plus with the bio on your vision is limited I think (no peripheral :) ). The choice is yours but know your limits. .'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still going with a half mask for my suit, but I still have a P1 by Usurper too. One thing I was considering is something that we saw from the Predators pics, and that's the screen in the mouth. They used to too see, but if you have a closed mouth full mask and if you paint the inside of the mask a dark color, you might get away with cutting a little bit bigger hole there and using a small screen and paint the screen to match the mouth. Another idea I had was to not fill all the dread holes, and leave some at the bottom untouched. Couldn't one possibly put a small air hole in the center of the dread hole to vent some of the heat out the back?

I'm still going with a half mask for my suit, but I still have a P1 by Usurper too. One thing I was considering is something that we saw from the Predators pics, and that's the screen in the mouth. They used to too see, but if you have a closed mouth full mask and if you paint the inside of the mask a dark color, you might get away with cutting a little bit bigger hole there and using a small screen and paint the screen to match the mouth. Another idea I had was to not fill all the dread holes, and leave some at the bottom untouched. Couldn't one possibly put a small air hole in the center of the dread hole to vent some of the heat out the back?

Yes, that would work. Use the dread holes near the bottom, and all the full dreads above them would hide the open dread holes.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back