From Russia With Love Attache Case

Great video! This is a pretty nifty series you are doing there. Ed is very, very knowledgeable on this subject and he has an amazing number of Bond pieces.

Wow... did THAT bring back memories...

ps: No CLUB tear gas cannister?

It's a great video but c'mon, put the camera on a tripod, the case on the desk and sit next to the guy.

Please contact Ed directly at thefudds@aol.com and he will sort you out.

Yeah, I hear ya about the tripod, but I am going for a more kinetic/MTV movement...and this four part series is supposed to be 'through the collectore's eyes'...;)

That being said, in future vids I will try to achieve a more 'stable' vantage.

:)

ps: No CLUB tear gas cannister?

Oh...it was there. Dave Z forgot to turn the clasps sideways before opening the case and it exploded!!!

Luckily, I did have a replacement I made to replace the one in the case....

007_FRWL-AttachTalcumPowderTin.jpg

Just a little something I "Whipped up" while at Q-Branch.....
Ed-209
TheSpyBoys.com

GF-ED.jpg

Great video! Very interesting. Try going through the airport with that!!

Hmmmm....actually, we DID go through the airport with the original case Steve and I were lent by Desmond Llewelyn.

We needed to be cautious with the case as it was the original case used in the film. Airport security was approached and it was explained what the case was and why we needed to have it as a carry-on piece.

Of course, there were no .22 cal cartridges nor gold soverigns or real knives in the case.

One of the funny parts about that trip was that when we arrived at Heathrow Airport they X-rayed our bags as we exited. Both Gary Giblin and I went through and as they put Steve's suitcase on the conveyor belt...our mouths dropped as we both saw the x-ray outline of the Golden gun appear on the monitor!!!!!

Steve had left it assembled and it, obviously, detained us until it was explained it was only a prop we were bringing in to present to the former VP at Colibri.

Luckily, the airport Security Guards were Bond fans (Whew!!) and let us pass through with no problems.

The other Airport incident was when we were getting ready to depart I discovered that I had Steve's replica PPK in one of many pockets of my suitcase!

We had used this several weeks before when we filmed the SD Studios TV commercial and I did not know someone had put it in my suitcase.

So....not only did it get past Security when we left the Philadelphia airport as well as when we arrived in the UK but it made it back through both airports on our return trip...scary!!!!

Ed
TheSpyBoys.com

One of the funny parts about that trip was that when we arrived at Heathrow Airport they X-rayed our bags as we exited. Both Gary Giblin and I went through and as they put Steve's suitcase on the conveyor belt...our mouths dropped as we both saw the x-ray outline of the Golden gun appear on the monitor!!!!!

Steve had left it assembled

:eek:lol :confused:lol

Heh, heh. Polish Liberation Front hijacker!

Last edited:
I received my copy of the FRWL attache case book yesterday. I have not finished reading it yet, but can make some observations.. I have been interested in props for over 40 years. I think the Man From U.N.C.L.E. got me started.
I have read many books about props but have never seen one as complete as Ed Maggiani's book. He walks you through the entire history, design,and execution of this
iconic prop. You learn not just the story of the movie used case, but also replicas that have been produced over the years. He even finds time to cover many of the other James Bond movie props.
I am sorry if I seem to be Ed's PR man. This book should be in everyones library even if not a true Bond fan. It shows the trials and tribulations that come with the creation of
so famous a prop.

Yeah, I hear ya about the tripod, but I am going for a more kinetic/MTV movement...and this four part series is supposed to be 'through the collectore's eyes'...;)

I think what Spike's getting at is that since you're also a part of the video due to you speaking frequently, you should be in the shot. That is, either get in there and participate, or shaddap. ;) Your presenter is (or should be) talking to "us", the viewers, not you, the cameraman. "You" don't exist, if you get my meaning.

Anyway, nice to see a demo of a really cool prop replica! :thumbsup

Aw shucks!!!!
Thanks for the kind words and the great recommendation.

As always, I did it for myself but was then told by several collectors that had seen it that I should share all the info and photos.

I'm VERY glad you enjoyed the read and hope to continue self-publishing more books on all the various props in the Bond universe.

While the history and information behind the prop is interesting....
Thanks need to go out to Steve Dymszo for actually creating what has become the cornerstone, and most sought-after collectible of all Bond props.

I'm glad I was there to participate in its research and development.

Ed
TheSpyBoys.com

EdDesmondLlewelyn-04.jpg

The funny thing is about the attache case is that, from what I read, Ian Fleming, the author of the novels, based it off a real attache case used in the field (basically, with a built in knife and some of the other hidden tricks) while working as a member of the Naval Intelligence Division. I don't know if that's true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back