Fold Out T.A.R.D.I.S. Bookshelf

CrimsonComedian

I've seen a lot of variations of the TARDIS design and I've always wanted one but I didn't want it to be a really cool waste of space. In doing some research to find ways to make it useful, I found doorways, refrigerators, sheds, cat houses, bookshelves, and more. I decided that I wanted a bookshelf for comics, videos games, and DVD's but I wanted my design to be a lot more realistic than the ones I found online. I changed the design a lot and but I really liked the fold out design so I kept that. I used the real dimensions but scaled them to about 80% and the depth to about 65 - 70% because I didn't want it to stick out too far. I tried to save space wherever I could. I used 3/4 inch MDF Board and 1/4 inch scrap wood that was lying around for the panels. In retrospect the 3/4 MDF was way too heavy. It created problems with dragging. I was able to fix it for the most part but I would have chosen a lighter board if I were to do it again. My advice would be to save weight where ever you can on the foldout doors while still retaining some level of sturdiness for whatever you want to put on them. This was really the only real challenge, everything else was just lots and lots of time. I originally planned this to take a month but it ended up taking four. I used plexiglass for the windows, a glass jar for the light on top. You need to plan everything out ahead of time. When you are sick of planning it means your almost there. I made it so that it lights up but it is kind of hard to see in the photos. I'm still experimenting with different lights. Book lights were what I originally went with because they were cheap and simple but string lights work as well. Just be careful not to use anything that could start a fire. Also I had to make it in pieces on my basement and porch (2 shelves, base, back, top) and then put it together in my dining room. I'm happy with how it turned out and it was definitely worth the time and frustration.

If you have any questions, constructive criticisms, praise, or hatred feel free to leave it below.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg05.jpg06.jpg07.jpg08.jpg09.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Last edited:
Update: It's much more than a bookshelf/time machine now. I added a speaker system and light system to it see the video below to see the finished TARDIS in action!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back