Foamboard Backpack

ofak

Basically going off a picture of the P1 backpack, but adding in some of my design. Just building as i go really...I started doing my back pack in foamboard, i wanted something light but strong.
predator mask 300.jpg

I made a cardboard template of what i thought looked good, i will be attaching the backpack to a pair of football shoulder pads that will eventually be covered in my mosiac style (foamies) like the bio mask and other armor below.
predator mask 298.jpg

predator mask 301.jpg

I made pieces out of the foam board, each piece is cut into a tongue and groove like pattern to make it stronger.
predator mask 303.jpg

predator mask 304.jpg

predator mask 306.jpg

predator mask 307.jpg

predator mask 312.jpg

predator mask 313.jpg

predator mask 314.jpg

predator mask 315.jpg

predator mask 316.jpg

predator mask 283.jpg

I hope you like it, i am surprised on how strong this really is with the tongue and groove! i have to get the proper mounting bolts to attach it too the football pads before starting on the top blades.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great idea and a good start. I may have try that out on my build. We have a used sporting goods store in town and I could probably get a set cheap.

I payed $24 for mine, i was shocked when they told me the price, i got it from play it again sports, which is like a used sports equipment place. If you have one near you, you should check it out.

I payed $24 for mine, i was shocked when they told me the price, i got it from play it again sports, which is like a used sports equipment place. If you have one near you, you should check it out.

My first suit used football pads as armor too (it's pictured in my sig). I dressed it up with some pieces I cut from a vinyl car floor mat.

I like the backpack idea. I may give it a try on my next backpack. :)

Got a little done today, added some inner pieces for strength (only) not cosmetics. And also added some corrugated tubing for looks. Once the glue drys i will start on the fins on the top and mounting the animatronics on the shoulder for the plasma canister.
predator mask 321.jpg

predator mask 323.jpg

predator mask 326.jpg

predator mask 327.jpg

Starting on the fins (if thats what you call them)... I have to say this is the hardest part of this back pack, and im not sure if it is going to have the look i want. Time will tell i guess O:
predator mask 328.jpg

predator mask 330.jpg

predator mask 331.jpg

predator mask 332.jpg

predator mask 333.jpg

predator mask 334.jpg

Well between the busy time with the home life and work i was able to get a little done on the backpack. I will try to describe my vision for what i hope will be finished soon...

I took a basic glow in the dark $1 dollar Halloween mask, and cut little pieces from it that i glued behind some custom alien symbols on the back of the backpack. I wanted the symbols to have kind of a green ghostly appearance.
predator mask 354.jpg

After cutting the pieces i realized that type of material has to have some kind of light source exciting the molecules in that material for it to glow.So i am putting together some led"s that will be controlled by a switch to help them stay ghostly :) (pictures in time).

predator mask 361.jpg

predator mask 355.jpg

I have also been trying to blend in the pack to the cannon animatronic box... (been kind of a mind bender)
predator mask 356.jpg

predator mask 357.jpg

predator mask 358.jpg

predator mask 359.jpg

predator mask 360.jpg
Everything is in its rough stage, but after the foamies i think it will look as good as i hope it will in time O:

Thank you all for the words of encouragement and motivation!
I added some 7000mcd leds to each symbol, when the leds are off, the symbols still glow green with that ghostly look i was hoping for, unfortunately after 9 pictures i took, the camera could not pick it up :mad: , but it looks great in person
predator mask 366.jpg

predator mask 362.jpg

predator mask 363.jpg

predator mask 364.jpg

predator mask 365.jpg

After the foamies, paint and closing in all the corners the light from the leds shouldn't seep through.

Wow, loving that. Always been a fan of using LED lighting on the suit. I was looking into adding some to mine behind some symbols like pred yjautia (i can't spell lol) langauge. Also wasn't sure whether to use white or red LED's. Thinking of going with red to match the bomb computer.

Great work. this is reallt helpful in showing how it can be done. Would love to see this in person - bet it looks awesome. It really brings it to life and gives more of a space-age feel. Loving the details on them symbols- really shining through

Well done

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back