Flat-out recast the gb pack and admits to it?

You read it correctly.

We need to understand that while recasting is considered a mortal sin on some prop forums, in the "real world" most people just don't care.

They pull the: "It isn't licensed, so you have no more right to it than *I* do" card.

OR: "The other guy already got his money out of it, so it is ok for me to now do the same..."

Many people are just looking for a quick buck. Artist rights, morality, and legality are irrelevant.

You read it correctly.

We need to understand that while recasting is considered a mortal sin on some prop forums, in the "real world" most people just don't care.

Never truer words have been spoken.

The more of a "mainstream" presence we take, the more likely this is going to be the norm.

This is the tradeoff. You keep things off the radar, and you potentially lose valuable information and skills from new members that might have it and you seem elitist. You go "public" and you potenitally have people, buy a members work, and decide to recoup their costs by recasting it.

Welcome to the future.

this is just something i was wondering and maybe someone here could answer, it sounds like its a recast of a recast of the universal stunt pack right? so was it ok to recast it the first time and not the second? or was it not right to even recast it the first time? or am i just missing something else? i really dont know much about the whole recasting thing when it comes to stuff like this.
thanks

My bad,

Just saw this as a live listing and thought it was bowelrocks.

Sucks they basically throw it in his face that they recast it

sent to Universal Studios:

Hello,
I was wondering if you could tell me if this guys claim that
this really is from Universal Studios, is true.

It's EBAY number 190589695236

I ask because I do not see him offering any COA with purchases
or even that he has the Rights to produce these.
Thanks,

Jonny B

I wonder what they'll do to him?

sent to Universal Studios:

Hello,
I was wondering if you could tell me if this guys claim that
this really is from Universal Studios, is true.

:lol

I honestly wonder why more people don't report these things. If some dick recasts your stuff, anonymously report them to the license holders. No mercy.

I'm not convinced that bringing attention to our corner of the hobby, no matter how bad dem recasters might seem, is a wise choice. Though it sucks that there is recasting going on, it would suck more if a studio found out about the hobby in general.

But the damage is done, I suppose.

I'm not convinced that bringing attention to our corner of the hobby, no matter how bad dem recasters might seem, is a wise choice. Though it sucks that there is recasting going on, it would suck more if a studio found out about the hobby in general.

I'm sure they know about the hobby in general, it's not exactly a secret. But when a guy starts selling stuff he says is directly recast from the stuff they had at Universal Studios, then I think that might be something they bring a hammer down on. I won't shed any tears on anything happening to that guy.

Reporting to a studio is the 'worst' solution. Chances are (a) they don't care (b) a leads to b leads to c, and the original creator gets thumped by the studio too.

Counter-productive IMHO.

You have a good point . I think for them to do something they have to see a person making a large amount of sales using a Major studio license piece.

How many indie artist do you see on Ebay selling Batman cowls
and nothing ever comes from it . The list goes on and on . This site is more about talking and comparing personal projects and collecting . Its not in the same league as Ebay as far as sales go on indie pieces. But I agree why draw attention you never know .

video bob lol, i had dealings with him once, seemed a decent chap, then he had my money and became very ignorant when i was asking for delivery tracking, the goods did turn up no problem, but his build quality on flux capacitors was poor considering he saus he is a pro builder.

in the time i ordered one from bob and it was in transit i had built my own off my own back and the outcome was mine looked more tons better - and im no pro.

seems bob has a tendancy to pee everyone off at some point as he seems to make out he is always in the right

recasting will always happen, more than ever now due to the current recession - peoples wages simply are not rising with inflation and its a simple way to make a few extra on the side.

i have to ask if he had altered some bits on the pack he built and then made a mold, remodelled some parts, and basically altered bits to make it more symetrical and clinical and alot better could he then say it was his work on the recast .

This site is pretty much the biggest prop site on the net. You can be sure the studios know about this place and i'd bet some are members if for nothing else to see whats happening here. When companies like Weta are here and companies like Sideshow are sponsors this place is no secret. I think they just turn a blind eye untill it affects them or their licensees like the Farnsworth plates.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back