"Flash" gun (need help sourcing parts)

drmoreau

So this is what I'm working on. It's going to be a unique weapon based off of a character's gun from one of my books. If you don't recognize it, it's an old metal paintball gun. I'm going to be wiring it up with a glowing "energy cell" that can be removed, as well as some other lights and possibly even some sound at one point, but here's the part I'm having trouble with:

the character's gun is supposed to emit a bluish/white "flash" instead of a typical blaster bolt. my first thought is to just use a camera flash, as that would replicate the effect almost perfectly...but I'm having trouble sourcing a flash bulb (and I'm sure a required capacitor/controller) that will fit into the barrel which is only about 10mm wide. I tried looking on ebay, but apparently I don't know what I'm looking for. Any ideas?

IMG_0132.JPG

I would also be interested to see what there Is for something like this. I just searched external flashes for cameras. and they are not cheap. hopefully someone with some knowledge of this will give us some insight..be awesome for a deep sleep gun i have..

yeah, a real external flash unit will be pricey. my hope is that someone knows where you can simply get the parts (bulb & controller).

I have to dig in my archives to find it, but I was able to achieve this effect with some LEDs and and RC circuit. While the circuit is a little involved, once you get all your values straight you can make the components lie wherever you need to. Let me. See if I can find what I'm referring to.

EDIT

Found it here skip to about 2:20 to see what I mean. Once you set the pots values you can replace them with voltage dividers and hardwire it in. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I've cannibalized old manual 35mm camera flashes to do this, but honestly it's a lot of soldering, the shock risk is annoying, and you still have to fit the flash unit in your barrel. Have you considered using a high power (like 2-3w) LED? I've used those, run straight to a 9 volt battery and a momentary switch, for barrel-flashes. The ones I've got right now are a little under an inch in diameter, and are definitely bright.

I'm looking for a really quick flash though. Are yours wired up to where they automatically "flash" on really quick then back off with a trigger pull or do you have to manually release the trigger before they turn off?

Another thing I like about the notion of an actual flash is the "WEEEEEE" charging up sound you get after each shot.

Using a camera flash, the capacitor has to re-energize, so holding the trigger in doesn't matter; It's just like on a regular old camera: camera flash function turned on, capacitor takes about 5 seconds to energize, then the secondary switch releases the capacitor energy and the flash is emitted. One flash, and the flash won't fire again until it has time to re-energize the capacitor again (so another 5 seconds), when you hear that 'weee' sound you described.

My trigger assembly had two switches, a light pull activated the first switch, charging the capacitor, and then a full pull activated the flash. So you pick up the gun, pull the trigger lightly to charge the capacitor, and then when you pull the trigger all the way the flash will fire. You can also just charge the capacitor and then put the gun down; the stored energy will still be there when you come back to it, so an hour later the flash will still fire immediately.

I'm looking for a really quick flash though. Are yours wired up to where they automatically "flash" on really quick then back off with a trigger pull or do you have to manually release the trigger before they turn off?

Another thing I like about the notion of an actual flash is the "WEEEEEE" charging up sound you get after each shot.

I don't know if you were referencing me or not, but you can adjust the pots to do whatever you want. He explains it in the video. The trigger could just run power to the circuit Turning on the LED.

sorry I was referrencing laellee. i get how it works with an actual flash, I was asking about the 2-3W LED, if there was a way to have it just "flash" when the trigger is pulled.

sorry I was referrencing laellee. i get how it works with an actual flash, I was asking about the 2-3W LED, if there was a way to have it just "flash" when the trigger is pulled.

Easiest would be a momentary switch if you want to avoid using a 555 or microcontroller, but you will still be limited to how fast that switch can be triggered.

Nice thing about an RC/555/micro circuit is the flash also STOPS by itself without you having to release the trigger.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back