First timer FX saber build tips.

jamiemp

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Aloha prop community!
I used to be active on here about 10 or so years ago but had to put my prop obsession on hold due to "real life". I have recently started lurking on these boards again with the excitement of TFA and even got in on a couple of runs from Korbanth and Roman.
FX Technology has come a very long way since then.
After some searching, I couldn't find anything that was any sort or parts resource checklist or tutorial. FX-sabers forums had almost too much information and those guys speak in a technical language I don't understand lol.
So for us FX build noobs(and with the saber runs going around I'm sure there are several of us) can you guys provide some tips that would help us in our mission.
I have the following questions about my first FX saber build and any information would be helpful.
What resource, in your opinion, do you think provides the best technology?
Is there some sort of basic checklist of what parts/items we need to complete a full Fx build? (Receiving hollow Graflex 2.0 from Korbanth)
Are there any sort of tutorial resources out there?

Please keep in mind I have zero FX, machining, and soldering experience but am definitely willing to learn. Within reason of course. I probably can't go out and buy a lathe or anything.

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions! Everyone feel free to use this thread as a "go to" for your own build questions as well. Hopefully this can help a lot of other members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a lot to learn to building a saber with lights and sound. The first thing that you need to know is that there are three main websites for custom saber building for yourself (other than The RPF of course). They are (in no particular order) Imperial Royal Arms (IRA for short), FX-Sabers (FX for short) and The Custom Saber Shop Forum (TCSS for short) (the latter of which also has a store site). There are some other forums out there but these are the biggies. These three forums have tons of tutorials to get you started. Of course if the terminology in those tutorials is something that you don't understand, I recommend Google-ing the word or asking in a forum post, what that specific term means. You might find a thread that posts a glossary of terms but that type of thread may be hard to find.

The second thing you need to know is that there are some severe politics/competitive business tactics in the custom saber world. This means that certain vendors and their "fan bo..., er affliates/associates, may only promote vendor X, sabersmith X and website X and may never mention vendor Y, sabersmith Y or website Y (at least in a positive light, lol), even though both X and Y may have awesome products and customer service. Fortunately I am impartial when it comes to giving out references, even if it's in regards to a sabersmith or forum that may rub me the wrong way. That's because I believe people should make up their minds on their own and not just take mine or anyone else's word for it. Plus, a sabersmith's attitude or business ethics (or lack thereof) towards competitors may not necessarily be a factor for some when deciding whether or not to do business with them. Anywho, because of said politics, along with the mass amounts of info one needs to learn, means that you really need to be doing the research yourself by reading, reading and then reading some more, on all the forums out there (you don't need to join the forums to be able to read their content).

Again, because of said politics and business practices, certain websites have restrictions on who or what can be mentioned on them. For example, TCSS has a store site linked to it meaning that you cannot sell there or solicit anyone to make or sell you something there. I think they also may have a sabersmith or two that you can't talk about there. FX-Sabers won't allow you to mention a certain few sabersmith's there unless it's a specific question about one of their products. Imperial Royal Arms allows you to talk about any sabersmith (and their products) there, even if they are banned from that forum, no matter what they may have done, as long as you are not bashing them. I'm not stating that any of these rules on any of these forums are unecessary or wrong in some way and I'm also not saying that they're necessary or right. That's for each person to decide for themselves. I'm just saying that these are rules that they have in place and that you need to be aware of them.

FX-Sabers and IRA both have a list of sabersmiths that offer their services. Because of the afore mentioned politics, only a few offer their services on both forums. Both forums have some very talented sabersmiths that crank out excellent products. TCSS sells everything one needs to build a custom saber. For the saber itself, they have a modular parts system called MHSv1 and MHSv2. The main hilt parts all screw together like a flashlight and can be mixed and matched to make your own "look". TCSS also sells all the individual electronics and blade materials needed to make a complete saber. If for some reason one wanted to buy all the electronics elsewhere, there's always electronics parts websites such as mouser.com and digikey.com as well as ebay.

Some saber smiths have a product line of sabers that they mass produce for sale. Usually they outsource to China for this. This allows them to sell their sabers for much cheaper than what most saber smiths can afford to sell theirs for. The two main sabersmiths/vendors that do this are Saber Forge and Ultra Sabers. For these two vendors, I cannot stress strongly enough that one should research their customer service feedback on various websites, before purchasing anything from them. You have been warned.

When it comes to movie/cartoon replica sabers, there are many sabersmiths to choose from and the price and quality/accuracy will vary. Some of the smiths on RPF, IRA and FX offer movie and cartoon saber replicas and/or parts for them.

If you decide to machine your own hilts from scratch, a good place for raw materials and hardware are local metal supply shops, local hardware stores (like Home Depot, Lowes and even better yet, True Value and Ace Hardware), onlinemetals.com, speedymetals.com and mcmaster.com (the latter of which also sells hardware (nuts, bolts, etc), polycarbonate tube for blades and acetal for chassis parts). ebay is also good for electronics and hardware. A good place for lathe and mill parts are Enco, The Little Machine Shop, and ebay as well as the various machining equipment vendors like Jet, Grizzly, etc.

The main vendors of sound boards are Naigon’s Electronic Creations and Plecter Labs. Naigon sells the Spark, Spark Color and Igniter series of sound boards (as well as a nice LED called the Z6) and Erv of Plecter Labs sells the Nano Biscotte, Petite Crouton, PRISM, Crystal Focus and Crystal Focus LS (LS = for use with LED string blades) series of sound boards (as well as the nice Blaster Core sound boards for blasters). He also sells the Crystal Shard series (which I think feature wise is somewhere between a Nano Biscotte and a Petite Crouton *shrugs*) but only to specific sabersmiths and those are only sold by those sabersmiths in completed sabers. The Plecter Labs sound boards can also be bought from the TCSS store site. Naigon does business on both IRA and FX but mostly on IRA. Erv is mainly on FX but will occasionally pop up on IRA and TCSS. While all these boards come with several sound fonts, additional sound fonts for these sound boards can be purchased from various sound font makers on the forums and from saberfont.com. Ultra Sabers sells a soundboard called the Obsidian and have their own fonts for it. I'm not sure what sound boards are in Saber Forge sabers but I believe some of them may be Naigon's Electronic Creations sound boards where as others of Saber Forge's are based off the old Ultrasound/Novasound and Nuetrino sound boards (these three boards do not allow you to switch out sound fonts via an SD card like all the rest do). As far as I know, Saber Forge does not sell sound boards separately (though he used to, back in the day).

I hope this helps. If you have any questions for me, please ask and I'll answer as best as I can. I'm not the most knowledgeable around here when it comes to custom sabers (especially movie replica versions as I'm a more of a "custom machined" kind of guy) but I know my fair share.

Last edited:
There's a lot to learn to building a saber with lights and sound...

Holy crap ARKM, you just won the Internet. That may very well be the most epic post ever. I've dipped a toe in the hobby for the last year and I'm about 1/3 through your post in learning on my own. Thanks man, you freakin' rock!

For the Noobs I'd say get a MR or Hasbro FX that already has all the parts in their most basic form and work on getting the blade off and the thing battle ready. Start with that and then drink from the fire hydrant. It's actually more fun than any of us have a right to expect.

Great thread, I am new to saber building as well. The Graflex 2.0 will be my first build and I need all the info and help I can get. I have learned a lot here and over on the FX-Sabers Forum. I still barely understand it all but think we can all figure it out.

I too was shocked at how much things changed since even 2003-2005 after looking back into them, suddenly lightsabers have fonts and color changes and voice activation, its quite overwhelming.

Awesome information, thank you! I've read around the forums a bit but as a person that is new to building sabers/electronics, it is a little overwhelming. Given the politics on the sites, and the information overload in general, is there a thread that has a simple (hopefully unbiased) compare and contrast of features for the internal things like sounds boards, drivers, blades for what's currently available?

Awesome information, thank you! I've read around the forums a bit but as a person that is new to building sabers/electronics, it is a little overwhelming. Given the politics on the sites, and the information overload in general, is there a thread that has a simple (hopefully unbiased) compare and contrast of features for the internal things like sounds boards, drivers, blades for what's currently available?

Those types of threads are frowned on on those three forums because sadly, it always leads to someone getting butthu... er hard feelings on someone's part. What we really need is a custom lightsaber forum, ran by customers that even if they have a bias, do not allow said bias to influence how they run the forum and where no vendors are allowed EVER and where hard feelings are not forbidden to be expressed openly when debates occur, no matter how much someone complains about it.

I hear you, man. They really are electrical engineering sandboxes. The learning curve is ridiculous. You spend so much time googling the acronyms it's daunting. Just stick with it. :unsure

The FX Sabers Forum ,and TCSS Forum , have the most how to do it articles. Madcow at Genesis custom sabers has done some amazing instructional videos on Youtube for both his own channel and the TCSS channel. Type in Genesis custom sabers and The Custom Saber Shop and the vids will come up.
Just a Quick FYI , Saberforge hilts are made in China and assembled here. Ultrasabers are machined here in the USA and assembled here too. I have a few of each ,and they are both quality hilts.Although the thin neck versions can break if you're too rough. The TCSS modular system is awesome, and some Ultrasabers parts have compatible threading for pommels and such.
I've been reading these sites for years and feel like I've barely scratched the surface.
Don M.

The FX Sabers Forum ,and TCSS Forum , have the most how to do it articles. Madcow at Genesis custom sabers has done some amazing instructional videos on Youtube for both his own channel and the TCSS channel. Type in Genesis custom sabers and The Custom Saber Shop and the vids will come up.
Just a Quick FYI , Saberforge hilts are made in China and assembled here. Ultrasabers are machined here in the USA and assembled here too. I have a few of each ,and they are both quality hilts.Although the thin neck versions can break if you're too rough. The TCSS modular system is awesome, and some Ultrasabers parts have compatible threading for pommels and such.
I've been reading these sites for years and feel like I've barely scratched the surface.
Don M.

Thanks for the heads up! I watched a few of the videos and they seem like they are a good pace for following along during construction once I figure out what I'm going to buy. I picked up one of the Graflex sabers that are being sold on this thread http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=241677 I'm not planning on doing any heavy battling with it, just want something that looks impressive with a removable blade, that (most importantly) I can say that I built :)

Subscribing and bookmarking this thread. Stupid new movie being awesome and wanting to fulfill childhood fantasy.

The Custom Saber Shop has conversion kits back in stock for the FX Vader:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MR-or-Hasbro-FX-Vader-conversion-kit-P343.aspx

It's about as easy a conversion as you are likely to do. Here's the tutorial for the Vader ANH:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.co...HFX-Vader-ANH-Disassembly-only-kits-available

I did it on an '05 Vader ESB and the kids have been battling with it and my 2 converted Luke ANHs for months with no issue.

IMG_1757.JPGIMG_1755.JPGIMG_1754.JPG

Last edited:
Ive been contemplating building a new saber after having to sell this beauty years ago...

Attachments

• mhs saber.jpg
    mhs saber.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 172
For those looking at the Nano Biscotte v2 at TCSS (which is well regarded as a great entry saberbuilder soundboard), fret not that it is out of stock. The v3 are supposed to be in come early January. Found on FX Sabers forums that they are phasing out the v2 stock.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back