First Project: The AE-35 Unit! Advice appreciated

For anyone interested; there's a pic on the 2001 archive's on Flickr (under Getty Images) that shows in the second pic, right hand side, Stanley looking at a mock-up of the Discovery antenna unit model and at the back of the table, there is the AE-35 unit without its top and markingso_O
Well spotted! On my screen that's just a black smudge among black smudges, but saving the preview image from the Getty site and then opening that, it's clearly the 'raw' gyro unit fresh out of it's original casing. You can make out the green and blue of the collars that secure the two (different-sized) Plessey connectors on the rear end, and the exposed gizmos on top that have yet to be covered by the circuit diagram. And it looks like the prop casing lying on it's side just behind. Anyone got a few spare hundreds to buy the high-res version so we can try to read the gyro model on the ID plate?

And poking around on the Getty site I see there's a sharper version of this shot:
gettyimages-97798091-2048x2048.jpg better for measuring lengths and heights and a little clearer for those funny little 'clips' on that rail along the bottom side. Still can't work out what they are though.

Yes, that Getty Image is quite interesting since it shows the process of choosing the different designs of the antenna and the modification Kubrick brought to Discovery: i.e. sans those long tubes/scaffoldings running the length of the vessel. And since the antenna was being examined, the story of the malfunction of the AE-35 unit and the presence of the main radar prop makes sense.

Just a little bumperoo on this thread: I saw an interesting Youtube vid made by MOMI and untitled: Envisionning '2001' without HAL: Douglas Trumbull and Michael Benson...
In the vid, Douglas Trumbull is showing (from his extensive collection of behind the scene pics from 2001) the real AE-35 unit that was X-Rayed and later dressed by the prop master and used in the movie. Also, as I suspected, his wire version of the same unit that he built to achieve the special effect seen in the EVA Pod Bay. Great video/info/discussion about the movie.

Just a little bumperoo on this thread: I saw an interesting Youtube vid made by MOMI and untitled: Envisionning '2001' without HAL: Douglas Trumbull and Michael Benson...
In the vid, Douglas Trumbull is showing (from his extensive collection of behind the scene pics from 2001) the real AE-35 unit that was X-Rayed and later dressed by the prop master and used in the movie. Also, as I suspected, his wire version of the same unit that he built to achieve the special effect seen in the EVA Pod Bay. Great video/info/discussion about the movie.
Well bumped joberg - great video find!
Trumball's photo of the original gyro confirms that Dennis didn't in fact find quite the right one: scrutinizing stills from the film showed two screw-holes and the edges of the rebates where that vertical silver/grey plate has been removed - details not present on the Dennis version.
Came across this 1951 brochure while looking for more info on them:
1951 GBP30 (2).jpg
1951x.jpg
1951b (2).jpg

Seems there's a differently-named civilian version which I thought might be easier to find (and less sought-after by military buffs) than the military one. Still looking though.

Thanks macropod80;) I know that Doug Trumbull has a throve of pics (behind the scene, props, models)from 2001. Several years ago, he wanted to present a series of Youtube videos showing and presenting pics from his collection. This never saw the light of day, probably because of two things (my personal thoughts): copyright problems with Warner and also the publishing of the Taschen book on 2001. Bad timing I guess:(

Any of you guys in the UK: there's a Sperry compass Mk 4 on Evilbay right now for just £0 .99 but pick-up only. At that price certainly worth taking a chance on if you're in range! (There's a cheap, squashed one too but I've asked and the guy can't get the cover off to see how bad it might be inside.)

99p? Ah. Found it. Cheshire.
And I've just noticed the knobs are different - simpler knurling. And the casing lacks the raised circular detail on top and bottom surfaces. But the knobs have to be replaced anyway and the circular gizmos inside -if slightly different - are not visible on the AE-35.
The 1957 date is about 10 years earlier than production so the unit may be an earlier, simpler example.

I could watch it and see how high it goes, I guess.

Though the question is - is the point to make an AE-35 that looks like the black toaster box we see in the space scene/departure scene? Or the sort of brick-coloured internal frame with all the gubbins inside it during the analysis? The latter is obviously much cooler.

Last edited:

Though the question is - is the point to make an AE-35 that looks like the black toaster box we see in the space scene/departure scene? Or the sort of brick-coloured internal frame with all the gubbins inside it during the analysis? The latter is obviously much cooler.
Sometimes I wonder about those 2 questions Neil. The black box is way easier than the one showing its inside. The latter one is also a PITA à propos the lettering and weird circles/signs applied to its top. I'm sure some kind of Letraset was applied to do it...but which ones?

Why the 'or'? Surely the ultimate aim is to make both as one: take the cover off the black box to reveal the stuff inside and poke it with a probe.
But until I can get a Sperry I plan on starting with approximating the black box from measurements, with a handle and fabricated knobs etc.
Rolling those nice bends on the sheet-metal cover is going to take some experimenting and the do-it-yourself 'Letraset' kit has just arrived, so that will be fun too. Eventually. (Still working on that tray, joberg. Got some blue cups...)

Well, I'm a bloody idiot. I forgot to set a timer for the auction, and that Sperry box sold for 99p!
Well SNAP. I was going to risk the squashed one after talking with the seller, but was outbid 50p.
BUT I've just had this promising exchange with a guy in the UK:
"I'm after one just for some parts, but they're all on the inside. At 3kg the postage alone to Australia is severe, so I'm wary of risking the expense for something that may turn out to be useless. Could you undo the 8 little screws on the back end and slide the cover off to show me a shot of the interior?"
"Hi, I have about 50 of them so can find a good one and open her up for you, cheers"
After picking my jaw up again I've sent him Trumball's shot of the original and am awaiting reply. Will of course pass on his details if this pans out.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back