Firefox MIG-31 movie aircraft

Ric, as a fan of the movie and aircraft it's really good to hear of your intentions to build a scratch build 1/6 Firefox. As with others here I wish you well with this!
And may I say, very nice Gant doll.

Per comments from Jamesfett and bwayne64, can I suggest starting your own thread on this topic, I'd love to see what you come up with.

Unlike your prefered approach this thread seems to be for a model that is 3D printed, not built up.

The owner of this thread hasn't posted much of late and is obviously busy with life. But we very much look forward to his eventual return as it is of great interest to many here, including myself.
And I'm more interested in Firefox3d's effort to achieve an accurate Studio Scale model when there are few references publicly available, rather than the construction techniques in this instance.

Others are probably here for the 3D printing which is totally fine.

I used to think much the same as you in regard to scratch building and hand made which was my prefered techniques. Now I use both modern and traditional, and modern is not always the quickest or easiest.

Trying to argue the choice of materials is a bit pointless. I'd be impressed if it were from exotic alloys and composite materials like I'd imagine the Firefox, but it's just a model. In the end it only needs to please the builder.

Ultimately, we all work with materials and skills that we possess, prefer or wish to pursue. Sometimes it's more about the journey.

I really look forward to seeing your build thread asap!

Best regards,

Bjorn

I know Jon has been busy with work and other things, but he has delivered a couple of 1/18th scale kits to a couple of us. This is mine after receiving final primer. Just need to wet sand, paint and add all the small details. The details of the kit are surprisingly well done. I'm quite happy with how this is coming along.

084. Firefox Model.jpg
Cockpit Painted-01.jpg
Firefox Pilot-01.jpg

Just wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few questions if it is okay?

How did you get such detail on the cockpit instruments?

How did you managed to get rid of the 3D lines without losing the panel lines of the aircraft?

How long overall it is?

OMG that is amazing looking.

Thanks

Tom

Just wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few questions if it is okay?

How did you get such detail on the cockpit instruments?

How did you managed to get rid of the 3D lines without losing the panel lines of the aircraft?

How long overall it is?

OMG that is amazing looking.

Thanks

Tom
The switches, knobs and such are all hand painted. Each instrument is a decal of a similar-looking instrument. The radar screens are screen captures from the actual movie, shrunk down to fit the model.

As for all the lines, lots and lots of sanding. The surface was sanded to get the high points down then it was sprayed with Rustoleum 2 in 1 filler primer. Sanded again, primered again, sanded again. The panel lines are pretty deep, but I did lose quite a few so I scribed new ones into the entire model.

In 1/18th scale the model measures 42 inches/107 cm in length with a 29 inch/74 cm wingspan. It is very impressive at this size and should look great when completed. Jon has put a lot of effort into getting all the subtle details just right.

Truly would love to see one in 1/48 scale to go with my other Russian aircraft... beautiful work so far, TLandis! Especially like the pilot figure, even has the Clint Eastwood 'steely glare' look to it!

Regards, Robert

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Working on funds to get mine.

Thank you for posting

Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :eek: (y) :love:o_O:eek::D:p(y):love::cry:o_O:)

I just finished reading both of the "Firefox" novels, and the Gant character is very different in the books (and not in a good way).
Also, in the original novel, the plane is described as something like a large-engine variant of the MIG-25, which the real MIG-31 actually is, to a degree. In the sequel, "Firefox Down," the plane is described exactly as the one in the movie.
Would be cool if they could have made a movie on the sequel novel's plot but Eastwood was way too old by then.
Now, I'm envisioning the Firefox model in a diorama where they're hot-fueling it on that lake in Finland with the Hind attack choppers overhead and closing in to destroy the MIG, like in the sequel novel...
Firefox Down was released in October, 1983. Eastwood would have hardly been way too old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back