Firefly - Wash's Dinosaurs?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Kylash, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I remember there was a thread about this and we were trying to find sources for these but i cant find it now, did anything ever come of that? Or could anyone post screencaps or pics they may have? Thanks

2. Kylash

or not...

3. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

Lots of screen caps over at still-flying.net. This goes straight to the screen caps organized by episode:

http://still-flying.net/images/

There don't seem to be any really good ones of the dinos though :unsure I only found 5 and two of those are so back-lit you can only see the silhouette. Here they are:

http://still-flying.net/images/serenity/in...serenity066.jpg
    http://still-flying.net/images/serenity/in...serenity067.jpg
    http://still-flying.net/images/serenity/in...serenity068.jpg
    http://still-flying.net/images/serenity/in...serenity069.jpg
    http://still-flying.net/images/serenity/in...serenity073.jpg

4. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kylash327 @ Jun 7 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]1257829[/snapback]</div>
    Let me know if you need better pics and i'll dig out my Serenity DVD and post some caps for you.

5. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

6. AlltoEasy

AlltoEasy Well-Known Member

I got some cack ones not exactly screen accurate they only cost £1.00 but they sit well with the rest of the (mostly unfinished) collection will post pics when I stop being lazy. Been meaning to check out the London natural history museum to see what that they have.

Dan.

7. thatguyno1

thatguyno1 New Member

I found some at Wal-Mart. They aren't screen accurate but they look like the same scale. They are pretty close. The T-Rex is green instread of red like in the movie pics.

Paul ô¿ô

8. Kylash

thanks for the pics everyone :)

9. eaviii

eaviii Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just a bump of sorts- Has anyone figured out the exact make and model on these guys?

Doc

10. Paradox

Paradox Well-Known Member

I have some dinos on the way to me. Once I get them, I'll investigate more and let you know what I find. Not sure yet if they're the correct ones, but they look real * close.

-G

11. Paradox

duplicate post

12. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Congrats Gman. Glad you were the one to score them. :):thumbsup

-Ss

13. Paradox

No jumping for joy just yet. We'll know in a few days. But THEN the party will start.

-G

14. Paradox

I haven't received my dinos yet, but I was doing some more looking last night at the Still-Flying.net screencaps and found that there's at least 4, maybe 5, dinos that Wash has. Not including the plastic palm-tree.

I've found two versions of the plastic palm trees. They both have the same leaves, but the trunks are either brown or tan. I'm fairly certain I know which one Wash has (95%) but I'm not 100% just yet.

More info to come...

-G

15. Paradox

Bingo. They've been painted for the show.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wash with the two:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: The only markings on these is the dino name and "MADE IN CHINA" - no brand name, distributor, etc.

-G

16. Kylash

ok whats your source.? lol

17. Paradox

The source was dumb luck.

-G

18. jddurst

jddurst Active Member

19. IndyMike

IndyMike New Member

Good score. They're as iconic as his '3 buttons'.

20. Kylash

so....are you seriously not gonna share? :(

21. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think he means that he got them based on luck and has no info to share as far as getting more.

I imagine he found them in some ebay auction or something.

22. Paradox

I found a box of dinos... 84 dinos actually. These happened to be in there. Unfortunately, I couldn't buy just the 2, so I have 82 plastic dinos that do me no good.

-G

23. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Paradox @ Jun 24 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]1267234[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't say that. Go to the park today. Find a kid (or two or more) that looks like he could use a toy to play with and give them to him. You'll have made his day. And that is good, for you and him/them.

24. IndyBlues

IndyBlues Sr Member

Better yet, donate them to an orphanage, or daycare center. Unfortunately, handing out toys to kids in the park could cause some unwanted, and undeserved attention.
    'Blues

25. Paradox

<div class='quotetop'>(Darkknight0667 @ Jun 24 2006, 09:11 AM) [snapback]1267242[/snapback]</div>
    That's a good idea, or maybe I'll donate them to a local school. Last thing I need are parents asking me why I'm handing out toys to kids at the park - could cause some unwarranted trouble.

And as a tip to you all who are trying to hunt these down... the stegosaurus is blue. There are some red ones that are very similar, but the legs and feet are wrong.

-G

26. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice score G.. So when are those things going to accidently fall into some silicone? ;)

-Ss

27. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Darkknight0667 @ Jun 24 2006, 07:11 AM) [snapback]1267242[/snapback]</div>

I think I saw that episode on Law & Order: SVU :lol

28. Paradox

<div class='quotetop'>(ssdesigner @ Jun 24 2006, 11:18 AM) [snapback]1267299[/snapback]</div>
    Soon. Very soon.

-G

29. jddurst

jddurst Active Member

About giving the dinos away in the park...

Just ask the parent first. Parents are people too.

30. Paradox

<div class='quotetop'>(Hero of Canton @ Jun 24 2006, 04:52 PM) [snapback]1267477[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, thought of that. I think I'm going to go with giving them to a local school. Kids can use them for a few years, and I know that many times budgets aren't all that great for such things.

-G

31. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Paradox @ Jun 24 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]1267548[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, thought of that. I think I'm going to go with giving them to a local school. Kids can use them for a few years, and I know that many times budgets aren't all that great for such things.

-G
    [/b][/quote]

I'd try and find a daycare center instead. Or maybe a school as in a church pre-school. Most public schools will pretty much be "No-n0," to that.

32. Paradox

Found the Triceratops.

[​IMG]

Forgive the crappy photoshop work, it's late (or early... whatever).

It's from the "Carnegie Collection" and is carried by many online toy vendors. Just do a search for "carnegie triceratops" and you'll be good to go. Price is around $8.00 (US). It was not painted for the show like the other dinos were.

And the Spinosaurus.

There's also a spinosaurus on Wash's console that's seen now and then. It's a painted version of the spinosaurus toy from Jurassic Park 3. It's one that makes noise by pressing a button on the side where it looks like it was attacked and has ribs showing. A picture can be seen HERE. This is also carried by several online toy vendors. Make sure you get the right one, there are a few Jurassic Park spinosaurus toys and they're not all the same.

Ok, off to bed.

-G

33. dr_slurpee

Nice find on the triceratops Paradox. Where can the Spinosaurus be seen in the episodes? I looked through the scene in Serenity with the other dinos in question but didn't see it.

I've also noticed that Wash has another stegosaurus on his console at one point while he's playing with the 2 dinos.
    [​IMG]

There's alo another dinosaur with a fairly long neck that can be seen (I also circled the triceratops).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here as the camera gets closer you can of course see the triceratops, but also that the one with the longer neck is standing on it's hind legs.
    [​IMG]

A bit closer look...the tail curves to to the dino's right hand side, and a fairly good look at the palm tree.
    [​IMG]

Paradox, you know I am all for some casts of those 2 main dinos...they scream Wash for sure.

34. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

35. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(dr_slurpee @ Jun 25 2006, 08:55 AM) [snapback]1267770[/snapback]</div>

Sith Sheriff Brody beat me to it. 4 toggles with safety covers:

[​IMG]

Great work on the research Paradox. If you ever decide to cast those dinos I might be interested as well.

{Edit in}

I expanded the search using "carnegie dinosaurs" and hit a couple of possibilities for the long neck dino in the background. The Carnegie Platoesaurus has a long neck and is stanging up on it's hind legs. The Diplodocus and Brachiosaurus have very long necks in roughly the correct profile. I also noticed that there is more than one paint scheme for the Carnegie Triceratops, so be careful when you order.

36. Paradox

Yeah, Carnegie has two versions of the Triceratops, the one used on the show is the "new" or "version 2" model, NOT the original.

-G

37. dr_slurpee

Now that you mention that they are toggle switches it is quite obvious...LOL

As for the standing dino with the long neck, I had seen the Carnegie Plateosaurus as well but the arms didn't look to be in the right positions, other than that it seems to fit the bill.
    [​IMG]

38. Paradox

Yeah, the tail goes the wrong way too. I've done some looking with no luck so far. That doesn't mean I'll stop looking though. ;)

-G

39. dr_slurpee

I am pretty sure the tail is going the right way, just looks the opposite in that photo, here's another photo from an ebay auction where the tail is almost definitely going to it's left.
    [​IMG]

Not that that matters much since in looking more at the Carnegie Plateosaurus the curve of the neck looks too far forward, as well as the arm positions being different.

40. dr_slurpee

I just thought I would add that I just found another Plateosaurus, that is similar, still not right, but it seems to be a good direction to look in.
    [​IMG]

By the way Paradox...what's the word on casting up those dinos? ;) Also did you have any palm trees? I did some searching for cake decorations and the closest thing I found was a coconut tree, but they looked way too tall.

41. Paradox

I think it might be a Wild Safari Apatosaurus CLICK HERE.

-G

42. dr_slurpee

LOL, Paradox we must be on the same wavelength...I just found the same dino and was going to post it...I found it in a giftset, and it has a crappier paint job, but same company and same dino.
    http://www.mzoo.com/gs_2439.htm

I agree, that looks to be the right one. What's your opinion on the paint job? Think it was repainted? The one you found looks pretty good for colour.

43. Paradox

<div class='quotetop'>(dr_slurpee @ Jun 26 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]1268539[/snapback]</div>
    The Stegosaurus has a really bad seam where it was put together. I wouldn't be happy casting it and selling it to people... it's bad. I've been able to locate another and it's on it's way, so once I get it, both will be cast and sold as a set.

I've seen several of the trees, still trying to aquire them though.

<div class='quotetop'>(dr_slurpee @ Jun 26 2006, 11:36 AM) [snapback]1268545[/snapback]</div>
    We can't see the tail of the one in the giftset, but it is Wild Safari, so that's reassuring. I can't say for sure, but I get the feeling that the screen used one has the coloration of the one I linked as opposed to the more orange color of the giftset one.

-G

44. Paradox

Here's a repost of my info over on the ssdesigner.com forums. There's a bit of info here spread out, so I thought I'd consolidate.

There is a total of 5 dinosaurs and one plastic tree:

1) Stegosaurus - Blue, not red version which has incorrect feet. I believe this was painted for the show. I have one of these with another on the way. It can be seen HERE. Only markings are "STEGOSAURUS MADE IN CHINA". This will be cast and for sale soon.

2) Ceratosaurus - Red/Green. I believe this was painted for the show. I have one of these, and can be seen HERE. This seems to be more rare than the Stegosaurus, as I've only found (and obtained) one so far. Only markings are "CERATOSAURUS MADE IN CHINA". This will be cast and for sale soon.

3) Triceratops - From Safari LTD/Carnegie Collection. Item number 4036-01. There are two versions of the Triceratops from this manufacturer/collection. The one used in the show was the VERSION 2 as seen HERE. I have one of these on the way. This was not painted for the show, the original coloration is screen-accurate. Not sure if it will be cast since it is a very available item.

4) Apatosaurus - From Wild Safari. There is one version, sold by itself, which I believe is the screen-used version: CLICK HERE. There's also a version that's included in a gift set, I'm not sure, but I don't believe this is the correct item, even though it's still made by Wild Safari: CLICK HERE. This was not painted for the show, the original coloration is screen-accurate. Not sure if it will be cast since it is a very available item.

5) Spinosaurus - From Jurassic Park 3. There are a few versions of this toy. Make sure you get the correct one as seen HERE. I believe this was painted for the show. Not sure if it will be cast since it is a very available item.

6) Plastic palm tree - There are two versions, one with tan tree trunks and one with brown tree trunks. The screen used version has tan tree trunks. I've been able to locate a reliable source. This was not painted for the show, the original coloration is screen-accurate. This will be for sale soon.

I'll also be starting an interest thread for a resin set of the Stegosaurus, Ceratosaurus, and a plastic palm tree. I want to have each item IN HAND before I offer anything. Keep your eyes open.

-G

45. Kylash

thanks everyone so much, i knew we could get these down once and for all, so close. Also, how are the feet on the red stegosaurus incorrect? Do you have a comparison shot?

46. trekkieb47

trekkieb47 Well-Known Member

Awesome.

Just bought the Triceratops and Apatosaurus, and I am interest in the resin versions of the other two. Would these be completely finished with paint, or "blank"?

Berry

47. Paradox

<div class='quotetop'>(trekkieb47 @ Jun 29 2006, 01:31 PM) [snapback]1270855[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately, I'm not much of an artist, so they'll be offered unpainted most likely. I'll keep looking at what needs to be done to them paint-wise and I'll decide then. But right now... unpainted.

-G

48. Paradox

EDIT: Removed pic since it was the incorrect toy. CLICK HERE to see it for reference.

-G

49. dr_slurpee

It's possible that the same molds for toys could have been used for cheapy, strange coloured toys as well as higher end ones with better paint jobs. It wouldn't surprise me if there is a stegosaurus out there that would not need to be unpainted too.

50. Paradox

<div class='quotetop'>(dr_slurpee @ Jun 30 2006, 09:50 AM) [snapback]1271446[/snapback]</div>
    Same here. I'm still digging. Still no manufacturer info though... GRR.

-G