Firefly "The Message" Voice Recorder

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by F-N-S, Jan 29, 2006.

1. F-N-S

F-N-S Well-Known Member

Hi.

I found the little thing the Firefly prop department used as the voice recorder on the Firefly Episode "The Message". It's a "Mini Radio" from a chinese company.

Here is a screencap of the scene in Firefly:
    [​IMG]

And a link to the Radio:
    http://www.sz-wholesale.com/promotional-pr...NI%20RADIO.html

Anyone know where to buy such a radio? Would be a nice addition to my Firefly Prop Collection :D

2. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

Nice find, F-N-S. I'd suggest scouring dollar and discount stores in your area. That's likely where this was originally found.

3. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Amazing find. I spent hours searching mp3 players, voice/memo recorders but never came up with anything. Never thought of searching radios.
    If anyone finds a source for them please share :D

4. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome find, I'd love to get one as well. What about a group of us getting together and placing an order from that company? I can't see them costing more than a dollar each, heck we could all buy 5 each and still be quite satified I bet.

5. SG Merc

SG Merc Well-Known Member

I believe I saw those radios for a decent price at a local store that deals in freight type goods.

I'll check back and see if they still have them, and if they are indeed the correct model. I'll post back my findings when I get to look.

6. judgedredd

judgedredd Sr Member

i would be in for one.

quote=dr_slurpee,Jan 29 2006, 04:59 PM]
    Awesome find, I'd love to get one as well. What about a group of us getting together and placing an order from that company? I can't see them costing more than a dollar each, heck we could all buy 5 each and still be quite satified I bet.
    [snapback]1170917[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

7. judgedredd

judgedredd Sr Member

i would be in for one.

quote=dr_slurpee,Jan 29 2006, 04:59 PM]
    [snapback]1170917[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

8. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Sounds like a great idea. I know I'd be in for a handfull

9. JediLip

JediLip Well-Known Member

Great find F-N-S. And welcome to the board.

I'd definitely be in for at least two. I always buy extras of things that I could potentially screw up when modifying it. ;)

10. adamata

adamata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

yeah, I'd like one as well, if you can get extra. :)

11. trekkieb47

trekkieb47 Well-Known Member

I'd be in for one.

Berry

12. dr_slurpee

So who's going to try and modify one of those small mp3 players to fit inside and actually play the message? ;)

[​IMG]
    This one looks like it's pretty close to the same size, the guts might fit in the radio.

13. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Thats what I'm gonna try and do, it's why I'm gonna try and get 5 or 6 of them. It'll give me a chance to play around and make a few mistakes before getting one just right

14. dr_slurpee

15. JediLip

That would be great, but you'd have to find a tiny speaker to actually play it out loud since MP3 players are normally meant to be played with headphones or larger external speakers.

It can be done. :)

16. F-N-S

F-N-S Well-Known Member

17. F-N-S

F-N-S Well-Known Member

18. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Great work. Although not listed in the 'Available colours' section there/ The 'additional cost' for 'extra colour' might mean we'll be able to get the right colour for an extra $0.50 per unit. Although if thats the case the total order will end up looking like this:

Set-up Charge = $50.00
    Cost of 100 units = $299.00
    Cost of extra colour to 100 units: $50.00
    Total = $399.00

Making the cost per unit only $3.99, but then the shipping needs to be added to that.

19. dr_slurpee

I am doubting that they would end up making it in a copper colour, besides you'd still have to sand the writing off so the finish would look icky. I am happy to just paint the sucker, which is more than likely what they did in the show.

So am I reading that site right? They are $2.99 each? My lord, that is crazy, you can get a million different FM players at dollar stores for $1...

20. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Yeah thats $2.99 each not including the set-up fee or shpping.

21. dr_slurpee

I think that colour imprint is referring to having a logo or something put on it, colour imprint doesn't really imply a custom coloured player.

22. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Yeah probably, but finding the right colour paint for it is gonna be one of the easiest colour matches in the world, so its no biggiel if they can only do the blue or silver. Maybe somewhere else will turn up that has a smaller minimum order and lower price :lol

23. BoBoDohn

BoBoDohn Well-Known Member

Looks like you can order 1 "sample" if you wish. Anyone trying that?

24. F-N-S

F-N-S Well-Known Member

25. UFO

UFO Sr Member

i'm givin that one a shot.... we'll see what happens...

26. JediLip

Do you think we can get enough people to buy all 100 radios? :confused

I'll take 3...so 97 left to go. :p

27. THX1138

THX1138 Well-Known Member

I just ordered a free sample in silver.

There's a section of the form that asks when you need it and I put Feb. 3rd... which is next Friday.

I'll post here when I get it.

They also ask for a company name.... I just made up something. They will probably print it on the radio.... no big deal, though.

- Jim :fettrotj

28. Rick Hanson

Rick Hanson Sr Member

My wife works for a promotional product/embroidery company. She's going to have a look through some catalogs for me tomorrow to see if she can get these. Will post with results when I find something out. :)

Edit - she just sat down and found a vendor for me. :lol

She's going to call tomorrow to get a price quote. Ordering through her company will almost certainly be less than the $3 per unit that the vendor quotes, and since there's no need to get a logo imprinted on them, they'll probably waive the 100-unit minimum order as well.

Sooo...I'll find out all this info and share the results tomorrow evening. Assuming everything pans out and I can get them, I'd have no problem with paying for them up front and distributing them to everyone at actual cost.

We'll see how it goes tomorrow. :)

-Rick

29. JediLip

That would be great Rick. Let us know how it works out.

...now to look for some copper paint. ;) Maybe some Rub 'N Buff with a clearcoat?

30. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Thats great news :D
    Can't wait to hear more.

31. kraulnik

kraulnik New Member

I ordered one of the samples in silver as well and apparently they've noticed a LARGE increase in the number of requests for samples of this model.
    When I called to give my credit card info for the shipping charge ($6.00) I was asked if it was for a convention and how I found them. I just played dumb. :angel

Todd

32. Rick Hanson

Rick Hanson Sr Member

Okie dokie folks, here's the scoop.

My darling wife did the legwork for us today, and she can get the radios for $2.00 per piece. As we suspected, there's no minimum order due to not needing a logo imprint, so we can pretty much get as many or as few as we'd like. The vendor only has the blue ones, but since they're going to get a new paint job, I'm guessing that won't be an issue for anyone. :)

My plan is this: on either Wednesday or Thursday, I'm going to have my wife place an order for 50 radios. I will pay for these myself up front. When they arrive, I'll post a thread in the Junkyard, and will happily send them out for actual cost ($2) per radio plus whatever shipping comes out to be, which likely won't be much at all. Donations for buying padded envelopes would be graciously accepted, though. :lol

I had thought about trying to collect some money ahead of time, but I think things will work faster and smoother this way. I also don't mind eating a few dollars worth of little blue radios if the supply exceeds the demand. I can always find something to do with them. :D The great thing is, they are fairly readily available if we do need to get more of them out into the 'Verse. :)

Does this sound like a workable plan to everyone?

33. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sweet. Cheapest prop ever.

34. Rick Hanson

Rick Hanson Sr Member

Wowie.

OK...in the interest of not cluttering up the Prop Forum with what's basically become an interest thread, I've transposed all of the names and quantities into an actual interest thread in the Junkyard. It is a no-obligation signup, and no money will need to change hands until I actually have the radios and am able to send them out.

If you can't post in the Junkyard, feel free to send me a PM with the number of radios you're intersted in acquiring and I'll add your name to the list. RedTwoX, I already gotcha. :D

If the demand keeps creeping up like this, I may order 75 instead of 50 just to be safe. Can't really afford to get more than that up front right now, but there's always another order close to my next payday if we run out on this round :)

-Rick

35. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

What color are folks going to use to paint it?

36. Rick Hanson

Rick Hanson Sr Member

Holy crap, I've just had to close the interest list in the Junkyard. Wow.

37. F-N-S

F-N-S Well-Known Member

Great News. Thanks very much to you and your wife for making it possible to get this prop.
    I just woke up and read this. Thats really a good morning :D

38. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool find. Well done, F-N-S and Pilot's wife. :)

BTW, you folks wanting to MP3 the message know you'll have to contend with the background music, right?

39. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What about using that "blooper" reel that was posted in the Off Topic section? Can't remember if it had music... :confused

40. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That would've worked as there is no background score. EXCEPT for about halfway through the scene they start in with this goofy la-la music.

41. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

Actaully, I'm giving consideration to simply re-recording it. A couple of friends and I could do a reading and whoever sounds best will go in my prop replica. Of course, this assumes I find a resonably dirt cheap MP3 player with "guts" that will fit in the radio. I'm concerned with getting the MP3 controls to function with the case swap :confused Not to mention jamming a tiny speaker in there. That's why I'm in for 5... I expect to loose a few test subjects in the process. I'll do one static that's just a repaint, and have 4 to chop up until I get it right.

What's this "blooper reel" of which you speak SurferGeek?

42. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

SHAZAM.

43. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Hey guys, please be careful with the "I want one", and "I'll take 5" posts. Those kinds of posts are meant for the JY only. I know this evolved from a research thread, and it gets a little tricky at times to know when a thread turns from a show-off or research thread into an Interest or For Sale thread. Still, the staff would appreciate it if everyone kept the appropriate posts in the correct forum. I've pruned out some of the more blatant posts.

Pilot, thanks for taking on this project. It sounds like you have a lot of interest, and hopefull you'll be making a lot of members quite happy. :) Still, be careful about taking orders via PM from new members. I'm not saying that new members have the plague, and should be shunned. ;) But we have long-established rules in place about access to the JY in order to help our members protect themselves.

If you have any question, please feel free to shoot me a PM.

Thanks,
    Lonnie

44. Rick Hanson

Rick Hanson Sr Member

Hay guys, what's this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Corporate order + in-state vendor = free next day shipping. :lol

Before everyone gets *too* excited and starts sending me money, keep in mind that I still need to pick up packing supplies. I can't weigh them out and quote accurate shipping until I have them in the proper packaging.

Also keep in mind that I just checked onboard a brand new ship today (whoo, Navy. *sigh*) and my schedule for the next few days is a bit uncertain at best. I *should* be off early enough tomorrow to grab what I need and start assembling packages for people, but please be patient with me in case I can't get to them until the weekend.

I've got them in my grubby little paws though, so half the battle is won already. :D

-Rick

45. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

Most excellently cool, Rick. Thanks for fronting this. Let us know when you're ready, and the money will be yours.

46. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

It came. It came. Thank you so much. :D

Umm.. so does the belt clip come off the back then? And what kind of paint does it need? Am I right in guessing the wheel and buttons stay unpainted, as is? Does it stay the full length, or does it get cut down lengthwise any?

47. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

got my "factory sample" in today as well :lol

i have the same questions as kaylee on this one.

good lord you can go deaf with this thing. that volume is TOUCHY......

:D

now someone with some talent tell us how to paint this sumbitch.

chris

48. dr_slurpee

I am guessing that some nice copper paint would do the trick. The knobs and dials stay chrome. I am not sure about the length, looks like they MIGHT have cut it down from the screen grab that was posted.

49. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

To answer my own questions..
    there's a couple glimpses of it around 12:51, 17:36 The base of the pocket clip is still there, but the clip itself is removed.

The base itself IS cut off -- we see the full height in Kaylee's hand at 17:58
    There's a great shot of it as well at 42:38.

:)

50. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i want one :(