Firefly "The Message" Voice Recorder

I would be interest in seeing a ball park figure for a custom run. However, I would expect it to be higher than I am willing to invest in this project.

I have been expecting from the start of this to take some "artistic license" with the functioning replica. A working unit is going to have requirements and restrictions that the prop makers for the show didn't have to consider. The working one may simply require an extra quarter to half inch of space to accomodate a speaker and power source. I intend to get it as close to screen accuate as possible.

Originally posted by Cenobyte@Feb 22 2006, 12:37 PM
Also (I wish I could screencap) take a look at it when Kaylee is holding it when she is in the hammock.

The last scene with her holding it shows it to be a bit longer than the cut down ones we have been doing. Also looks like the bottom has a round surface attached.
[snapback]1190630[/snapback]​

Here's a shot from the scene you are talking about. I am pretty sure it's the same length as in other scenes.
length_bunk.jpg

Here's a quick comparison, you can see they are pretty much the same size when scaled to match, the only differences I can see can easily be because of a slightly different angle.
length_compare.jpg

Also I was looking over the scenes with it and wanted to point out a couple things that have been mentioned as questions.

The blub was left clear, as you can see in these grabs, not that it really matters much if you paint it.
clear_bulb.jpg

The jack was painted copper as well, and possibly was black to begin with cause I see no hint of green at all.
brass_jack.jpg

Also I have been working on my radio and decided to idealize it a little so I cut the rounded bottoms off and then cut a bit more off the bottom off the top, I glued the bottom on each half and am waiting for the bondo spot putty to dry now to even out the seam. Once it's done the bottom will look like the bottom of the original radio it'll only be about 3/32" longer than one that's just cut straight off. Just an idea for those that might not like a square bottom.

I have also been doing a little research on what custom electonics to fit inside would cost. I can tell you that it'd probably be at least $50. I don't know what you guys are thinking as far as how much you'd want to put into it but I think that price range is pretty reasonable for something like that. Spending $30 (probably more) on an mp3 player that might not work versus $50 on something that would...no contest to me...but then some might not want to spend either ammount. ;)

Originally posted by dr_slurpee@Feb 23 2006, 07:58 PM
Also I have been working on my radio and decided to idealize it a little so I cut the rounded bottoms off and then cut a bit more off the bottom off the top, I glued the bottom on each half and am waiting for the bondo spot putty to dry now to even out the seam. Once it's done the bottom will look like the bottom of the original radio it'll only be about 3/32" longer than one that's just cut straight off. Just an idea for those that might not like a square bottom.
[snapback]1191788[/snapback]​
What a coinkidink. (although I made mine slightly longer):

I've been working on this for the past week or so. I just need to do some further sanding before I start the painting. No electronics for me though. Mine will be static only. :D

Awesome nexus. Great minds think alike. ;)

I'll have to get some pics of mine too, but it looks the same as yours only shorter and with some bondo on it. ;)

One question though, how come you didn't remove the buttons and such for painting? (I assume you have them taped over in preparation for paint?)

Originally posted by dr_slurpee+Feb 23 2006, 09:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dr_slurpee @ Feb 23 2006, 09:44 PM)</div>
One question though, how come you didn't remove the buttons and such for painting? (I assume you have them taped over in preparation for paint?)
[snapback]1191858[/snapback]​
[/b]
Since mine is idealized, I have epoxied/sanded over all the visible seams, so the piece will be totally smooth after painting.

<!--QuoteBegin-dr_slurpee
@Feb 23 2006, 09:44 PM
Great minds think alike.
[snapback]1191858[/snapback]​
INDEED. B):thumbsup

So, anyone else built one of these? I am looking for a good paint at the moment. Tried the only copper paint I could find in the one hardware store but it came out looking almost pink...might have to use Testors model paint in a rattle can.

Still working on adding sound too...

Just wanted to bump an old thread, if it's OK. :)

Anyone found a cheap, generic brand MP3 player we could fit into this? I was thinking the 2nd generation iPod shuffle, a nice size, but that's a little too expensive for me to be shoving into this radio.

Tread resurrecting.

Im looking for the mini Radio, if anyone has any leads or one or two sitting in a box somewhere, please let me know.

Thanks
-Charles

Don't know if its wrong of me to bump this thread but does anyone have one of these finished or completely un-touched available OR know of a retailer I can get them from? I found one Chinese wholesaler but they never returned my e-mails.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back