Firefly "The Message" Voice Recorder

F-N-S

Hi.

I found the little thing the Firefly prop department used as the voice recorder on the Firefly Episode "The Message". It's a "Mini Radio" from a chinese company.

Here is a screencap of the scene in Firefly:
themessage8ll.png

And a link to the Radio:
http://www.sz-wholesale.com/promotional-pr...NI%20RADIO.html

Anyone know where to buy such a radio? Would be a nice addition to my Firefly Prop Collection :D

Amazing find. I spent hours searching mp3 players, voice/memo recorders but never came up with anything. Never thought of searching radios.
If anyone finds a source for them please share :D

Awesome find, I'd love to get one as well. What about a group of us getting together and placing an order from that company? I can't see them costing more than a dollar each, heck we could all buy 5 each and still be quite satified I bet.

I believe I saw those radios for a decent price at a local store that deals in freight type goods.

I'll check back and see if they still have them, and if they are indeed the correct model. I'll post back my findings when I get to look.

i would be in for one.

quote=dr_slurpee,Jan 29 2006, 04:59 PM]
Awesome find, I'd love to get one as well. What about a group of us getting together and placing an order from that company? I can't see them costing more than a dollar each, heck we could all buy 5 each and still be quite satified I bet.
[snapback]1170917[/snapback]​
[/quote]

i would be in for one.

quote=dr_slurpee,Jan 29 2006, 04:59 PM]
[/quote]

Originally posted by dr_slurpee@Jan 29 2006, 03:59 PM

Sounds like a great idea. I know I'd be in for a handfull

Great find F-N-S. And welcome to the board.

I'd definitely be in for at least two. I always buy extras of things that I could potentially screw up when modifying it. ;)

So who's going to try and modify one of those small mp3 players to fit inside and actually play the message? ;)

A%20blue.jpg

This one looks like it's pretty close to the same size, the guts might fit in the radio.

Thats what I'm gonna try and do, it's why I'm gonna try and get 5 or 6 of them. It'll give me a chance to play around and make a few mistakes before getting one just right

Originally posted by dr_slurpee@Jan 29 2006, 10:57 AM
So who's going to try and modify one of those small mp3 players to fit inside and actually play the message? ;)

That would be great, but you'd have to find a tiny speaker to actually play it out loud since MP3 players are normally meant to be played with headphones or larger external speakers.

It can be done. :)

Great work. Although not listed in the 'Available colours' section there/ The 'additional cost' for 'extra colour' might mean we'll be able to get the right colour for an extra $0.50 per unit. Although if thats the case the total order will end up looking like this:

Set-up Charge = $50.00
Cost of 100 units = $299.00
Cost of extra colour to 100 units: $50.00
Total = $399.00

Making the cost per unit only $3.99, but then the shipping needs to be added to that.

I am doubting that they would end up making it in a copper colour, besides you'd still have to sand the writing off so the finish would look icky. I am happy to just paint the sucker, which is more than likely what they did in the show.

So am I reading that site right? They are $2.99 each? My lord, that is crazy, you can get a million different FM players at dollar stores for $1...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back