Firefly PALs

Bronson BB

This may be from a fever-dream, but didn't a member here start an interest thread for hollow castings of this prop?

I still want a pair but I can't find the thread, even in my own posting history.
And I saved some of the pictures that member posted of some test molds, too.

It was Dr Slurpie (sorry if I spelled it wrong) and a friend of his that were going to do the run, I remember because I was interested as well. The kit had the hollow body, rubber button, and all the trimings

Dave

Yep that was myself and my friend. Unfortunately many events conspired against us and it got shelved (even though most of the molds were made, stolen, and remade). At the moment he and I are working on another project in a more official sense and as such have limited time to get back on the PAL. I still want to though...not that that helps you get a pair of them. ;)

Well, the walnut Mal pistol grips eventually reached actuality.
Maybe this project will come to fruition as well some day soon(ish).

Yep that was myself and my friend. Unfortunately many events conspired against us and it got shelved (even though most of the molds were made, stolen, and remade). At the moment he and I are working on another project in a more official sense and as such have limited time to get back on the PAL. I still want to though...not that that helps you get a pair of them. ;)

Has there been any change in the status of the PAL project? I've had limited success finding a real PAL or a PAL copy with a realistic backing on it.

Thnaks.

Has there been any change in the status of the PAL project? I've had limited success finding a real PAL or a PAL copy with a realistic backing on it.

Thnaks.

Wilco Models makes a PAL.
It's part of their Firefly/Serenity prop package seen on eBay regularly.
[auction link removed]
The back can be a simple plate or cannabalize a badgeholder for a clip.

I made mine light up with a simple LED, button, and battery kit from radio shack.

Dr. Slurpee/ namebrand is tied up with the 47A Mal pistol project for a while.
The PAL is a good starter do-it-yourself prop project.

Mike
SerenityMovie.net :: View topic - Firefly/Serenity Weapons Collection
My Firefly/Serenity collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mike. I saw that kit on eBay and wasn't sure on how good it was. I just bought the Jayne LeMat kit from Wilco and was waiting on its arrival to see the quality of his kits.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make a cover for the rocker switch on top so that it looks more like an original PAL?

Thanks in advance!

So, I own a screen-used, hero PAL.
A hollowed out, and complete shell with belt clip.

Might it be a good idea to hit it with a laser, and 3D print it?
Maybe even scoop the bits out of a walkie-talkie to cram in there?

IIRC There is/was an instructable available, I think it even had the 3d print files for the body in the tutorial if you have access to a 3d printer or know someone who does.

Maybe even scoop the bits out of a walkie-talkie to cram in there?
Get some great photos uploaded and maybe someone will fab it up!

I have a decent non-hollow cast. I have been offered a few prints, but all of tehm lacked the special surface structure of the original PALs. If anyone attempting to do a proper 3D print manages to get the surface right. I'm fairly sure they'd be rather popular.

I've molded my production-owned PAL, but I can't seem to to get a hand turned rotocast to come out well. Some day I'll build a rotocasting rig.

I've molded my production-owned PAL, but I can't seem to to get a hand turned rotocast to come out well. Some day I'll build a rotocasting rig.

I'm fairly certain such a rig would pay for itself in the long run.

3d32367da33f80b8c8bd881f878d205170025920e1e0a20d1f4bf9409f35e7e5.jpg

I suppose I should point out that while I have the PAL, I don't have the means to reproduce it.
Maybe if there's someone here who has the means and desire to do something with it, we can be friends.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back