FINISHED - Dr. Theopolis

Re: WIP - Dr. Theopolis

Now with color. I don't know if the color is right, but here is what I have figured out. It's not quite silver, it's not quite gold, and it's not quite green. So I saw an VW bug and got inspired. After looking at some of the screen caps you guys had and some other pics, the color to me looks dead on to the color you see on screen. I am sure the real color is different, but it looks good to me.

P1040602.jpg

P1040604.jpg

b32898drt02x2192.jpg

twiki_wallpaper1024-1.jpg

I had to order paint for the eyes, and the last bit of acrylic and those should be in this week. I hope to have some lights installed by next weekend and a plan for the brackets by then too!

Also, I really appreciate the kind words and suggestions on this. It's been a lot of fun to do! Hopefully in the next week or two I'll be able to start an interest thread :).

Gregg

Last edited:

That is really sweet! I was thinking the color might be gun metal grey from those photos you posted. Hard to tell but damn that thing is really nice love it! I want one!:thumbsup

That is really sweet! I was thinking the color might be gun metal grey from those photos you posted. Hard to tell but damn that thing is really nice love it! I want one!:thumbsup

It's definitely not grey. I have some close ups of a screen used on that shows the green, but I didn't have a clue what green that was so I just played around.

Thanks for the good words too!

I'm out of touch for a day or so, and look what you do! :lol Looking real good Gregg.

The real prop is painted a really hideous shade of...... well, I call the color metallic snot. It's a metallic, though the metal flakes aren't as coarse as the paint you used. And it's a goldish green, with more green blotches. It's like a 70's version of that color shifting paint for cars we see now. And though it is a metallic, it's not really glossy. As soon as I saw it, I said, "Right, my Theo is going to be silver, cuz that's what I remember." Truth be told, I was paying attention to... "other aspects" of BUCK ROGERS when I was watching the show.

One thing - remember that Theo has TWO unibrows. You can see it in the frame grabs that have been posted.

Stingray - yeah, that's my Theo (and Thunderfighter, too) over there on the Digital Bits. I guess they covered the DVD launch screening. The production designer was amazed that one had survived all these years, and then even more amazed when I told him it was a replica built in about a month. Since I was behind their chairs, operating Theo, I missed the entire Q&A.

Gene

Gene....yeah I noticed the other unibrow yesterday, so that will be added soon. Oops. My bad. I'll get it fixed this week.

The color is one I'm happy with as far as matching the screen grabs, but I'll be honest, I always thought it was silver too. Surprised the hell out of me that it was greenish.

A Theo would go great in a display with my helmet and laser pistol!

I'm sure we can arrange that. Laying in bed this morning I figured out the side brackets, so I'll have those, the other eyebrow, and the back plate made this week. I am hoping to at very least have the always on lights installed this week too.

Question....were the eyes always on, or did they flash?

Gregg

I'm sure we can arrange that. Laying in bed this morning I figured out the side brackets, so I'll have those, the other eyebrow, and the back plate made this week. I am hoping to at very least have the always on lights installed this week too.

Gregg

Wow you are moving right along!

The eyes flashed too, not always on.

Gregg

I agree. They did both. If memory serves (and it's been a while) they were on solid and then flashed as he spoke. Someone out here with the DVD set could tell you for sure.

Wow, that is amazing Gregg. You nailed the color. :) My first car was a '71 Ford LTD with a cloth roof. The paint color was almost identical. It was called Grey Gold but it damn sure looked green metallic to me. This is coming along very nicely man.

Dave :)

Well I think I've come up with a solution for the always on lights.

This is one of the $3 light kits I picked up at Hobby Lobby. I basically took some tubing, cut it down to about 1/2" size and then used a cap to hold it to the temporary backing plate. Then I drilled holes through the caps for the lights to go through.

I think the one thing I'll change when I have this CNC'd for me is that I'll have the holes spaced further out (and evenly) which will make it closer to the ring wall and hide them a bit.

P1040607.jpg

P1040608.jpg

P1040610.jpg

P1040611.jpg

Gregg

Looking good. I love it when things come together the way you want them to.

Brackets are done! The other eyebrow is done, I just am waiting for another piece before I attach it. That and need to ask Gene!

P1040613.jpg

P1040615.jpg

P1040620.jpg

P1040621.jpg

Gregg

PM sent. Looking good. I think you definitely need to move the ring lights out towards the edge as much as you can. I think I had double the amount of lights on that ring, but I suspect the original only had 8 or so.

Gene

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back