FINISHED - Dr. Theopolis

Re: WIP - Dr. Theopolis

For some reason, these bracket thingees popped into my mind when I was thinking about what was used on the original -

attachment.php

attachment.php

The obvious problem is that they are mounted to a flat surface and Theo is round. Like I said, no one has been able to come up with any concrete proof what the original item was.

Gene

Early on in my Navy career I used to work on aircraft instruments and some of the more sensitive ones came in small cannisters or "mini barrels" that had band clamps sealing them closed. They looked very much like the holder on the prop.

This is a link to a modern version, these are much cheaper but you get the concept.
http://www.clampco.com/products/t-bolt-std.asp

z12882drt03w219.jpg

Last edited:

Those are cool clamps, and that's a great shot. I should have more progress photos either today or tomorrow!

Gregg

The bottom picture looks more like a plastic clip you would find on a kids toy for say holding wheels on.

I would also bet that the clip and the curved base it's sitting on were originally two separate parts.

The roughness off the back plate to the center section is also interesting on the close-up picture. Almost looks like a weld bead, or perhaps it’s just glue..

Last edited:

Well I got the CNC work done today, and I couldn't be happier.

The only thing I'm not 100% on are the eyes. Yes, they need painted, but I'm not happy with the pattern. I'll play around with it a bit more. Otherwise everything else looks pretty well perfect to me.

I hope to have some temporary graphics...or heck, permanent if this turns out like I'm hoping, later today or by Monday at the latest.

So here is where I am at right now, sorry for the crappy pics, I'll get better ones later. Oh....and I ran out of chips :rolleyes

P1040595.jpg

P1040596.jpg

P1040597.jpg

Gregg

Yeah, the pattern on the eyes should be just a series of 45 degree cuts that put diamond points on the glass, this is just an off the shelf diffuser. So I'll either have to have my CNC guy make each one, or make an master and have the molded in color...or just go with this.

Gregg

I built mine before I had good screen grab capabilities and access to a laser cutter.

Droidboy - your's is looking great. I wouldn't change too much stuff. you'll see that the laser cutting and parts are the easy part and you may wind up making another generic council member.

Two things I noticed in the frame grab that SurferGeek posted -

- Theo's eyes are actually two pieces. The diffraction grating is offset from the main part of the eye by about ~ 1/4". Also, their diffraction grating is different than yours. I'm pretty sure that the tight grid pattern is still available through acrylic dealers if you can't get it at a hardware store. (I had a scrap, so I used that. The Theo I looked at didn't have the raised eyes, so I just glued it to the main eye part.) That's what may seem 'off' to you.

- You can also see that the hanger has a piece that runs into the main body of Theo. It actually looks like a screw head.

Couple of other observations/recollections - all of the Computer Council members were roughly the same size and made using the same 'chassis' so to speak. The brows, eyes, mouths, and chins all differed in shape. And the quality was really rough. Like they cut them on a band saw and that was it. I think your mouth looks like a different council member's. Theo's was more blocky. The chin looks spot on. (Mine was off.)

The faceplate - that portion of Theo that is at the "front" of his face and has all the cutouts. Yours is thicker than theirs, but I wouldn't change it. The originals, being so thin, have yellowed and curled at the edges. So, I think that's a good concession to spot on accuracy to make.

I found a shot on the net of a generic council member that was sold at Profiles in History some time ago -

attachment.php

Keep going. Looking good.

Gene

Thanks for the observations Gene.

I wasn't sure about the thickness of the plastic, but if you think it's good then I'll keep it that way. I like that it's beefy.

I'll also have to go through the DVD's to see what the other council members looked like, I might have to make a set of them and have them hook up to my stereo!

Again Gene, thanks for all your input.

Gregg

Gregg, your eyes seem significantly smaller than those in this pic:
z12882drt03w219.jpg

But a great start nonetheless!

Gregg, your eyes seem significantly smaller than those in this pic:
z12882drt03w219.jpg

But a great start nonetheless!

I agree, and it's an easy change to fix, but the screen used one I am basing off of is different than that one....so that could explain it. I'm open to suggestions though.

Gregg

Now with graphics. I'd tickled pink!

P1040598.jpg

P1040600.jpg

Just have to paint the body and eyes, add a couple details, find some lights and make the brackets and I think we'll call this thing done. Oh yeah....I need more chips!

Gregg

Thanks for the replies guys! I found some small lights at Hobby Lobby tonight for $3 a pack, I can't wait to get it painted and put lights in!

Gregg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back