FINISHED Balrog new pics 7/12/10 last page

Re: My first sculpt...Balrog new pics pg 3

pM Sent GF

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. :) Lear60man the subject is a Balrog from the Lord Of the Rings. My fav character in the movie. :)
Got some new pics coming shortly.

Carl

Can't wait! Want to echo everybody else - this is quality stuff, hard to believe you've never done it before. Your detail work is superb and the overall proportions look good. Getting both right on your first try is impressive.

I gave sculpting a try a few years ago and found it wasn't as 'completely and utterly impossible' as I expected. I was able to produce an Alien chestburster that looked fairly accurate, but when it came to anything humanoid, forget it! Much harder. Even so, everybody should give it a go, it's fun.

Moulding is a bit of an art in itself. Are you getting any help with that stage before taking the plunge? Are you across the figure-moulding facts of life? (Eg that moulding often destroys a figure sculpt, so you have to get it right first time!)

Cheers,
Martyn

Last edited:

:eek Just can't believe that's your first sculpt. If it is you are like Bruce Banner tapping into the hidden powers of the human mind. Let that Hulk out! You have INCREDIBLE potential and need to explore your newly discovered talent!

Thanks for everyones kind comments. I really appreciate it. Life kinda took over for these past 3 months. Between a surgury and the ending of a turmoil ridden relationship it knocked me down.....BUT Im coming back.
I will be posting more pics shortly. Yes any help I can get from the experts on molding would be greatly appreciated. :) Ive already separated a finished wing for molding.
Im looking forward to actually making a finished cast and painting it up. :)

Carl

Any updates??

Here some new pics. Just separated one wing for molding. Going to start on the other wing then remove it. After that is detailing. Thanks for looking.

537076547_131-3131_IMG.JPG

537076545_131-3128_IMG.JPG

537076543_131-3124_IMG.JPG

537076541_131-3116_IMG.JPG

537076544_131-3127_IMG.JPG

Last edited:
Re: My first sculpt...Balrog new pics pg 5

Looking Great man!! Looking forward to seeing more of your progress!!

You know what? I don't think anyone has asked how large the piece is! Do you have an estimate on how large the final piece will be?

I hate it when people say "my first sculpt" and it turns out looking better than something that sideshow would offer!
Awsome awsome work!

Ive started to rough out the other wing now. It will be expanded compared to the other one as the balrog has is arm back. Here is few progress shots. Still have to refine and detail it. Thanks for looking.

537077180_131-3149_IMG.JPG

537077181_131-3148_IMG.JPG

537077178_131-3153_IMG.JPG

Re: My first sculpt...Balrog new pics pg 6

Sorry about the lack of updates. I'm back on track and have managed to finish both wings. They are both separated now for molding and casting. That was a bear. :) Going to need some good ideas from folks on these boards on how and what materials to use. I will post pictures.
Carl

G
Wow, big jump between updates here... anything new??

Sweet Sculpt! :love:thumbsup

Would be neat if you could mold some parts in clear-ish colored resin or something, so it could be lit from inside in some areas..
Even just painted though, it clearly will be awesome.

Amazing sculpt, like the others have said, it's shocking that this is your first attempt.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back