Final Fantasy 7 remake trailer e3

I never thought this day would come.
What with this AND the Shenmue 3 kickstarter......words fail me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if they can recapture the "magic" of FF7. I think the voice acting alone changes the entire character. FF7, without voice, was a wonderful pantomime.
The death of Aerius was lyrical because of the music. I'm not sure it'd be as effective with voices.

And Tetsuya Nomura... Eesh. Just seeing his name makes me cringe.

If it were a graphical touch-up with some polished features, I may be interested, but a complete remake manned by this guy; I dunno about that.

Such an overrated game. I wish they'd put this much effort into quality NEW games.

Yes, it was a blockbuster game and for most people an introduction to the FF franchise. For that it deserves it's place in gaming history. But come on, it's not even the best FF game. Play the original and enjoy it, let game developers develop new games.

I agree having that guy in charge makes me worry that the entire storyline might change. This is about square's last chance to stay relevant as they're not the powerhouse they used to be, they'd rather publish games than make them and the ones they make that we want they never bring over. I guarantee they're not doing this for the fans they're doing this for the money, they know this thing will outsell the last 5 final fantasy games combined. Then again their one 3ds game outsold the last title featuring Lightning. I remember back in the late 90s early 2000s you could find 10 titles from Square new at any time and at least half were good then suddenly all their old franchises took new turn and all for the worse from FF to Chronotrigger to the Mana series and none have been right since.
They drove out the original creators of the games, including Final Fantasy, and now it's run by suits who aren't gamers just like the companies over here. To be honest there was a fan made FF7 remake that was at least partly done before the Square lawyers moved in and they weren't going to charge for it. Square's just another EA clone at this point.

I don't want to derail the thread into another "this game company is like this other suck-y game company" but the fact of the matter is that the business of video games was (and partly is) very much the wild west. You make billions over one over another, sometimes out of nowhere; they had to tighten the reigns on it one day, for good or ill.

The problem with JRPG's nowadays is that they just didn't have that marketable appeal as they once did. The reason why they kinda fell off with the main masses is because western RPG's did what they weren't: they grew. Being a huge fan of the FF series, I haven't had fun playing one since FFIX until FFXII and only because there was such a drastic change to the main gameplay mechanics. Every thing else then has just been trash; they all feel old and out-dated. Square and a bunch of others over-seas are scrambling to keep up/catch up with the times and what consumers are expecting from their RPG's, as well as games, in general. You can't blame them for not trying or wanting to take chances developing new titles that want to try something different when you have a large group of fans still wallowing in the mud that is nostalgia, ready to lap up whatever old franchise titles you still have in the popular consciousness.

I love the hell out of FFVII, but I'm in a similar boat with Michael; how many times are they gonna keep going to milk that cow?

Meh, I'm going to buy it and probably love it. Although I would rather have seen FFVI get the remake treatment as it is in my opinion the crown jewel in the FF franchise. I'm not going to complain that Square-Enix is finally giving the fans something they've actually been asking for since that PS3 tech demo a few years ago. And it does redeem them when they had the FFVII to PS4 announcement that just turned out to be a port of the PC version. That pissed off a lot of people. I'm hoping it was intentional trolling and they new they would be rolling this trailer out at E3 rather than the company going into emergency damage control mode. I really haven't touched the Final Fantasy franchise since FFVIII. Wasn't a big fan of VIII although I did end up buying IX as a PS Classic on the PSN store, I haven't got around to playing it.

if its not broken dont fix it, ff7 (for me) is now and ha always been the best game ever made, change anything and you loose the feel and magic of the game.

I love this game. Easily one of my top favorites of all time. I have hundreds of hours in multiple playthroughs. The spinoffs were less than stellar, tho. I heard the rumor that Sony was going to announce it and then went through the roof when it was confirmed.

And now after a clearer head, I have to wonder how long it will take to get it done as it's a complete from the ground up remake and not an HD remaster like FFX/X-2. I hope it's in time for the 20th anniversary of the game but given Square's track record especially with Versus/FFXV or whatever it will be called, I'm not hopeful.

It will also be strange since voice acting will be involved. My guess is they'll probably use the same voice actors (both Japanese and English) from the Advent Children movie.

My biggest hope is the collector's edition comes with one of three things: Scale model of Fenrir. Scale figure of Red XIII. 1:1 replica of Cerberus.

I'm looking forward to this. It was my favourite in the franchise and hopefully it will leave the gameplay and items left completely intact.

Maybe it will be good this time.

No seriously, the FMVs are an inconsistent cluster**** and parts of the story are translated so poorly as to be nigh incomprehensible.

Which isn't to say I didn't love it 18 years ago, because I did and I played the hell out of it, but it isn't the wonder we thought it was back in the day and is maybe the most poorly aged Final Fantasy game.

That being said, I'm intrigued to see what they do with it and I expect to be overjoyed by new mixes on the soundtrack (no official word on that as far as I've seen, but I expect it's coming).

I'm not Nomura's biggest fan, in fact his FF games are my least favorite, but there's something about 7 that still resonates and I truly hope this remake is the game it should be.

I predict it'll be like the original FF7 but with ...

... an unnecessary complex and esoteric leveling system
... cartoonish voice acting
... replacing the original evocative score with "modern" pop tunes
... unskippable 25 minute cutscenes
... even more spiritual environmentalist themes
... unskippable 12 min monologues about those spiritual environmentalist themes
... over-designed character "update" with a disturbing abundance of boy-band dandyism

no thanks.

Last edited:
Loved the game back in the day. this is like 15 years over due and I'll pass now. It won't hold up to time and will be hallow of what it once was.

Amazon.ca now taking pre-orders. Just ordered mine.

Why so early? Best scenario is 2017 which is the 20th anniversary of the original. Granted, they've been working on it before the PC port was announced but given Square Enix's track record, it's wishful thinking to think it would be released by then. Hell, FFXV still doesn't have a release date even after the playable demo was packed with the day 1 edition of Type 0.

Amazon US is taking the preorders too. Honestly I think square has been working on this for a lot longer than they've admitted. We knew something was up when they suddenly shut down a fan remake of the game after not caring for a decade. I wouldn't be surprised this is why XV has been running behind, they know 7 is a guaranteed money maker and had everyone working on it.

We knew something was up when they suddenly shut down a fan remake of the game after not caring for a decade.

Nah, they've been milking this sad old cow for so long they didn't want any threat to their lack lustre releases.

Still wish they'd just move on.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back