Fiberglass V Resin V 3Dprint?

dreadpyrat

Hey all, about to start my first Star Wars bucket for The Mandalorian and have been researching my options. I've found a few good options but cant decide what the best material is? Fiberglass? Resin/Polyurethane? 3DPrinted plastic? I imagine each has thier pros and cons for things like: weight, crispness of detail, prep required, and maybe most importantly, shape retention over time. Any advice/suggestions? Thanks!!
Rob

3D printing is definitely good for one off makes. Casting with resin and fiberglass is great for production. 3D printing is also great for detail work. There are also some great files already available for the mandalorian helmet.

It depends whether you helmet will be solely for display or will it be worn? I wouldn't use resin for a wearable one. One drop and its done. Not that dropping other helmets will be good, but they probably will crack, but be repairable.
It also depends what quality and accuracy you want. There is a lot out there, both good and bad.

TazMan2000

Thanks guys! I plan to wear it - non stop if my wife will let me. More likely I'll wear it a few times a year at cons and stuff and will otherwise be displayed. I plan to put fans and a voice modulator inside as well. Based on that, and your feedback: resin is out. So now I'm down to 3D or fiberglass. Any thoughts there?

If you want it to be acceptable by the 501st check this link out as well as the The Dented Helmet.
.https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:BH_Boba_Fett-RotJ

If you are just wearing it to cons and for your wife, accuracy isn't as critical, but you still want something very close. If you have access to a 3D printer research the actual filming helmet and armor and see if you can find stuff that matches what you think looks accurate and good. Some work will be involved to make it look good. If you want something quicker, you may want to look into the abovementioned websites to see if there is someone who makes quality BF armor, in fiberglass and has a good reputation.
For 3D files, you may want to look at cgtrader.com

TazMan2000

Thanks TazMan2000, appreciate the feedback. I’m not worried about 501st approval so “close” works for me. ;). I’ve been looking at this one by MinuteFett.

It’s fiberglass and got some high marks it seems.

The link never showed up but if it's the same MinuteFett off of thedentedhelmet.com, he is selling them there as well.
A bit on the expensive side for my taste, but to each his own.

Hasbro is releasing a Boba helmet soon, but it will probably be a but small, like their Luke pilot hemet.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
I'd go with fibeeglass personally. Polyester resin if you want it fast and cheap, epoxy for strength and stability.

I don’t tend to trust resin with Mandalorian helmets. As hard as it seems, resin is actually pretty soft and will move over time. This can cause the visor to spread apart. They’re often cast quite a bit thicker than your standard fiberglass helmet which is something to keep in mind if you’ll be wearing it.

Everyone seems to be working on their own files and castings right now. I went with the file from JMS props because I think it looks pretty damn good. Will be mastering and casting a copy in fiberglass myself, but you could definitely print and finish it as is. Even glass the inside for additional strength and get the “best of both worlds” so to speak.

Last edited:
My $0.02:

Fiberglass is the most durable materal for a trooping bucket. Both resin and 3D print will look nice, but one drop to the concrete (and we've ALL done it!) and it could crack or shatter like glass!

With that said, NOT ALL FIBERGLASS IS EQUAL. Remember, this is going to cover your head!

Polyester resin has a very nasty odor and it is cheaper, most builders use it.

Epoxy resin has no smell, and is better for buckets. It is costlier, and not as easy as polyester resin to use. Fewer artists use this

Fiberglass comes in MAT and CLOTH, Depending on who laminated your helmet, you can have fiberglass SPLINTERS that are very sharp and dangerous. Use caution before placing on head! If the lamination is finished with cloth, you have a smoother surface on the inside where your head is.

SUMMARY: The best Fiberglass option is a bucket with Epoxy and 2 layers of cloth. Second choice would be the Polyester and Mat (Be sure to sand the inside and seal with paint.

As far as resin helmets, I wear them, but if you drop one, it is going to break. Also, one additional Caveat: Because this is a Mandalorian, it is open on the bottom with nothing to stiffen the shape, The helmet can warp out of shape and collapse if left in a hot car.

3D Printed: This will be a beautiful helmet, but needs a lot of surface work to hide the print texture. Also keep in mind that it will satter if dropped.

I will agree with clonesix 's post, except for the very last part. Not all 3D printed helmets will shatter. It depends on the properties of the PLA and the nozzle temperature for how well the PLA bonds to itself. I've dropped several 3D printed helmets and none have shattered. One cracked but easily repaired with CA and some putty. I use CCTREE PLA. Its a *$%! to sand, but its almost as strong as fiberglass. I will also add, it depends on the wall thickness and percent of infill. I use 3 layer wall thickness and 40% infill.

TazMan2000

Alright gents, that is a fantastic overview of the options! I sincerely apprecaite everyone taking the time to help out. After taking all this in, I went ahead and ordered the MinuteFett fiberglass helmet and will pst it here when I get it! Nest obsession: cooling and voice changers for the inside! Hope they fit.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back