Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial

Hey, i love making costumes/props as well, but I have never once gotten "extracurricular" activities for simply being in costume.

I mean, unless you can TRULY pull of 300 Spartan, then maybe you could....

Hey, i love making costumes/props as well, but I have never once gotten "extracurricular" activities for simply being in costume.

I mean, unless you can TRULY pull of 300 Spartan, then maybe you could....

I was Jack Sparrow for one night and got some numbers...so it's possible, just not likely.

Now, becoming a REAL superhero, that might get you some girls! Go roll around in some nuclear waste and see if you develop any powers!

Good luck!

-Nick

I was Jack Sparrow for one night and got some numbers...so it's possible, just not likely.

Now, becoming a REAL superhero, that might get you some girls! Go roll around in some nuclear waste and see if you develop any powers!

Good luck!

-Nick

Masked Character vs. Character makeup....

Looking to do the Mark III. I like the suitcase armor and the War Machine but the red and gold suit is AWESOME. And if I can build it for this price I'm down.

-Ash

Last edited:
I've been getting some requests regarding War Machine. I'm going on vacation next week. While I'm relaxing I'm going to make all the templates for a trashcan WarMachine. I'm going to do everything but the helmet. The following week I'll start the build, so a War Machine tutorial will be coming soon. All the templates will be unrestricted and available. kidUltron, tk1055, and others are doing a great job with the Mark V, so I'm going to abandon my Mark V for now and do a slower War Machine build than my Mark V, which was just a quick build to make a tutorial.

Cant wait Fett! Have a nice vacation!:thumbsup

Nice job on that one.

Just finished pricing some styrene sheeting. Found a good site:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22883&catid=715&clickid=searchresults

Does anyone know of a good supplier, or is there a good place to start looking?

Oh, and Santa Clause is a perfect costume for getting some, girls just have a need to sit on you lap. It's a law of the universe that make s no sense, like gravity.

cheers-

Do some research on local sources before you order online. Just a recommendation.
I was about to do the same thing at one point till I was told to check around. A few Google business searches through my area of various phrases (Plastic, Plastic Supply, even Sign Shops) and you might be surprised. I found no less than twelve different places in my area (expecting NONE). A few aren't local but have storage HERE which effectively cut out shipping for me (USPlastic being one of them).
My only issue with USPlastic was what I wanted wasn't stored locally and I'd have still been charged freight, but any company would do that. They were very personable and contacted me back quickly with the pricing information I requested, just wasn't in my budget at the time though.

Some places will sell their scraps cheap, some will charge you a price equal to cost+shipping, BUT if you're lucky you'll find a gem that will sell you what you want at some form of reasonable price and all it cost you was an hour or two of time.

Trust me, when you see your shipping costs 1-2 hours of time is WORTH it. Plus if you find one you'll have a valuable supplier for future projects.

We have a good supplier called TAP plastics near Seattle, where I amz. My friend recommended it, and swears that he got an approx 4X8 sheet of styrene for around 25-30 and just went and picked it up from their warehouse. I checked them online and they don't carry it supposedly, but I have seen all the crap plastic scraps lying around my buddy's floor.

SO i'll see, thx for the good ideas.

chers-
:)

So, I've made about 4 helms. This is the last dang one. If its too small, tough for me, my head'll squeeze for an hour. >.>
I'm starting on my patterns tonight. Once I've got some cuts and the pieces riveted together I'll post images. AND if anyone happens to like the design on the suit I'll scan em along with some crude measurements.
In the meantime, here's the Helm for my budget run at this. Pep'd using Dungbeetle's original helm design. I went through his 2.3 and the Cal stuff. In the end, this one just seemed better to me (mostly my fiance though.)
This is from the letter file, original scale, no altering. In retrospect I have an egg-shaped head though, so this might be a tad uncomfy at some point.
32197134711567656011913.jpg
32197134708559580811913.jpg

We have a good supplier called TAP plastics near Seattle, where I amz. My friend recommended it, and swears that he got an approx 4X8 sheet of styrene for around 25-30 and just went and picked it up from their warehouse. I checked them online and they don't carry it supposedly, but I have seen all the crap plastic scraps lying around my buddy's floor.

SO i'll see, thx for the good ideas.

chers-

No prob. It never hurts to call em up. One of the guys here when I asked about styrene didnt know what I was talking about till I called it HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene) and still others didnt know what I meant by Sintra till I called it... well, whatever its technical name is. I had it written down.

Hey all,
I've been following this thread very closely and have been working on mine. I was just registered today, so I can finally post my progress.

No prob. It never hurts to call em up. One of the guys here when I asked about styrene didnt know what I was talking about till I called it HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene) and still others didnt know what I meant by Sintra till I called it... well, whatever its technical name is. I had it written down.

So I checked and they have
1)Polyethylene Sheets - HDPE (Rigid High-Density Polyethylene)

and I don't know what to make of this. Screw it, I'm gonna call them, even if I'm at work.

and I checked on Sintra(trade name), and it is "Closed-cell PVC foamboard"

and there we are-
cheers-

So I checked and they have
1)Polyethylene Sheets - HDPE (Rigid High-Density Polyethylene)

and I don't know what to make of this. Screw it, I'm gonna call them, even if I'm at work.

and I checked on Sintra(trade name), and it is "Closed-cell PVC foamboard"

and there we are-
cheers-
I actually went to a "Signs Now" shop by me and just asked for some Blank PVC sign matteral, the guy knew exactly what I was looking for.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back