Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Fetts.Sobriquet, Apr 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Fetts.Sobriquet

Fetts.Sobriquet Well-Known Member

I've decided to make a tutorial on how to make a riveted plastic Mark V costume. The $25 dollars is the cost of the two buckets you will convert into your costume. Let me preface this with a little disclaimer. I'm kinda running through this build quickly just to make the tutorial. I'm not focusing on making the suit beautiful. It's more about getting all the information to you than me making a suit.

AFettFullofDollars over at TDH figured out that you could make some pretty decent Fett armor out of a trash can 5 years ago. I guess I also assumed everyone knew about this method since the Fett builders have been doing something like it for so long.

It actually turns out pretty nice and is cheap and easy to do.
    You may think that you've never seen anyone do this before. Well, odds are you probably have seen it, you just didn't know it.

I'm not kidding. Go to walmart, buy a trashcan (comes in black too) it already has the curves you need. You don't even have to heat the plastic up with a heat gun and shape it, although you can a little if you want.

Here I'm going to build the Mark V step by step. I'm posting my templates but they are a work in progress. You might want to keep an eye on the version of the template that is currently posted so you know what is the newest.

Current Template version is 1
    templates so far are of the Chest - Arc, Breast plates, Ribs and pectoral section.
    Download Templates

* Note about the Templates. Make sure you check the scale some will be 1:2 scale.
    [​IMG]
    I'm currently drawing the templates so some are missing. I'm posting them now so you can get an idea of how they work.
    [​IMG]

The first thing I did was to go to Walmart and buy two 13 gallon plastic trashcans. Cost me $24 dollars plus tax.

You'll also need some tape to tape the templates to the trashcans, a hand riveter, rivets, washers, a drill, and a hobby knife.
    I went with 3/16" 5mm rivets and washers, but it's up to you what size you wan to use.
    [​IMG]

All you have to do is print out the templates at the appropriate scale, cut them out, and tape them to the trashcan.
    Try to utilize the curves in the can and match them up with how you want your part to bend. Then just carefully cut the part out of the can. Make sure you score everything. Make multiple, calculated, shallow cuts. Don't try to cut this out with one deep cut because the blade could slip and you could cut yourself very badly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One you get most of the chest cut out it will look like this
    [​IMG]
    The trashcan will look something like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now just rivet it together. Where ever you want to place a rivet drill a hole in the through both layers of material, and pop a rivet.

When you're ready to place the tread detail on the on the upper chest area, simply cut out the shape and super glue the detailing on. You can rivet it of you want, it's your suit.

So, today we finish up with something looking like this. Not bad for about 2.5 hours of work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you have any questions please let me know.

Tomorrow I will show you how to make a flexing - expanding abdominal section. I'll upload the abdominal templates tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  2. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Very cool buddy. :thumbsup You going to do the whole suit? The abs sould be pretty easy, pieces elastic strap across for movement and your plastic riveted on. :cool

3. Fetts.Sobriquet

I'm going to do the whole suit. It's really easy to make. Takes hardly any skill at all. As long as you can cut plastic and hold a rivet gun, you have it made.

4. JasonCash

JasonCash Well-Known Member

very cool sir...can't wait to try this

5. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Do some up and get in the junkyard. :cool

6. Soulinertia

Soulinertia Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well done, thanks for posting! I can see this technique being implemented for so many other costumes as well!

7. Zendragon

Zendragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love stuff like this... looking good so far

8. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

All those poor trashcans... between Fett and now Iron man... rubbermaid doesn't stand a chance!

9. Fetts.Sobriquet

I'm going to buy some Rubbermaid stock. :lol

10. PAULFIERCE

PAULFIERCE Well-Known Member

Gen-effin-ius!

11. darthchiro

darthchiro Well-Known Member

Nice Job bro :thumbsup I'm sure this will help a few people .You can also use Sintra or foamies but sintra does require heat.

12. PlasticineNinja

PlasticineNinja Member

I love seeing creative builds like this. Looking great already!

13. Propazoid

Propazoid Well-Known Member

Love it! :thumbsup

-Robb

14. punisher

punisher Sr Member

Thank you so much for sharing! Thats very awesome and generous of you!

15. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A new hero has risen.

16. LittleBit

LittleBit Well-Known Member

Go, dog, go! :thumbsup

17. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Very cool of you to show how to do this, and much appreciated(y)thumbsup

18. Ikariya

Ikariya Well-Known Member

Oh! That is such a cool technique! How well does the super glue hold and what type do you use? I'm mostly worried about the glue crystalizing or falling off.

Can't wait to see if you put up some helmet patterns! I was looking into getting a helm, but the high price or excessive sculpting work has been putting me off.

19. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Have you looked into pep files? There's a link to Ironman pep files on the first post of my thread.
    http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=80159

Or if your wanting to make it out of sintra Gemini Khan has a template download in his thread as well.
    http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=45617

20. Fetts.Sobriquet

Yep, What Finhead said. I was just going to direct you to Gemini Khan's awesome helmet tutorial, just to stick with the plastic theme. Gemini Khan did a fantastic job.

21. TMP

TMP Sr Member

:D HA... Creativity at its best. Your of at a good start of a journey to Ironman. :)

22. DarthVeach

DarthVeach Well-Known Member

I love this, a very classic, tried and true method of making effective costumes! Nicely done! Can't wait to see more.

23. Icemanjj

Icemanjj New Member

That's wicked! It reminds me of when I was a kid, and would try to make a proton pack using cardboard boxes and tape that I stole from my mom's craft desk :D

24. Fetts.Sobriquet

I'm just using generic superglue for now. I'm considering also using some Shoe Glue for a tight but flexible bond.

I should point out that I'm not a huge fan of this look and this isn't going to be my Iron Man costume. I'm giving it to a coworker's kid when I'm done. I'm really doing this to get the information out there.

25. MasterLe

MasterLe Member

lol nice thread, good budget for budget minded in hand. hope it work out for you :D

26. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fetts.Sobriquet, you sir are the living embodiment of the true RPF spirit! Kudos to you! :thumbsup

27. justinbauler

justinbauler Well-Known Member

thanks for this tutorial...been following alot of iron man builds, alot or irony here...literally

28. BenStreeper

BenStreeper Member

Wow that's creative, thanks for sharing the templates too

29. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Lol no kidding

30. Lady S

Lady S New Member

Well *, if only I had something like this, maybe my Rescue armor last year wouldn't have been such a disaster! This is really creative thinking.

31. Fetts.Sobriquet

I always thought that those female hanging mannequins and forms would be a good starting point for Rescue armor. I've see female mando builders use them with success.

32. tk1055

tk1055 Sr Member

LOL Well Done sir! Well done. I look forward to seeing a ton of these at cons!

Next paycheck I will be picking up some buckets myself and starting a suit!

That is also a great idea for Rescue armor.

33. Capn_Jack_Savvy

Capn_Jack_Savvy Sr Member

Awwwwwww! Crappacino!!! Now I got to add this to my TODO list! Thanks alot!!!!!!

No really! Thanks alot and great job!

34. loganallenwolf

loganallenwolf Well-Known Member

I just want to say thank you for sharing. This thread exemplifies what the costuming community is all about. You rock dude.

Thank you!

35. Jawafive

Jawafive Sr Member

You're the master now.

36. Fetts.Sobriquet

Thanks guys! I just added the Abdominal template to the main templates file but I haven't posted the tutorial for that part yet. I'll post the Ab assembly tutorial tomorrow but I thought you might want to have access to the template until then.

Lastly, some people had an issue with the .RAR extension. The file is now back to being a .ZIP file.

Any questions, let me know.

37. Dark asylum

Dark asylum Active Member

A true Master at work sir I dig the mutalated Trashcan I bet that can be used for another project, I look forward to class tomorrow learning so much today thanks for the lesson, great work.

38. Fetts.Sobriquet

Dark! You sir are the Master! Thanks for the compliment . :cheers

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  39. PlasticineNinja

PlasticineNinja Member

I can't wait to see more of this. Are you planning to do the helmet the same way or would the forms be too complex?

40. Fetts.Sobriquet

I'm going to do a helmet for this project, but I haven't decided exactly how to do it. I'm going to do some experimenting tomorrow and try to decide how to go about it.

41. punisher

punisher Sr Member

You said you were giving it to your friends kid so does that mean we should scale up the templates to adult size?

42. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

^THIS^.

That's looking totally fantastic. :cool:thumbsup

43. shaka-zulu

shaka-zulu New Member

Very nice dude and thanks for sharing.

44. Fetts.Sobriquet

No, they are already adult size. The "kid" is 17 and taller than me. :lol I'm 5'9".

I put the more important measurements on the templates in case you wanted to scale them up or down. You can look at the template and see quickly what size they are by default and adjust them accordingly.

The templates will get you there, but feel free to change it up. I'm making the templates as I go and you guys could probably figure out a better way to do this than me. If you see something that needs to be changed on the templates let me know. They are just a guide, and will make what you see in the pictures, but they are also very much a work in progress. :)

45. Pannaus Props

Pannaus Props Sr Member

LOL! Fetts, dude you're the hero ahahhaha, I'm was laughing so bad when I saw this. You're awesome, tut made in what...24 hours? Just awesome! Excellent JOB! And really thanks to you for your kind words about my helmet :D although, it ain't a tutorial, even though it is shown how to make the helmet...almost...step by step.

Keep posting man! This is outstanding stuff for all of us!
    Up with the trash can HERO!

46. WebChief

WebChief Sr Member

Looking great! I love scratch builds and I love scratch builds with details even more!

47. LOGANCLAW22

LOGANCLAW22 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome...I am using the same technique with Foamies underneath for my War Machine. I love the progress pics and cannot wait to see updates. Thanks.

Paul D.

48. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I've seen this technique on Fett and Pred armor--I'm really excited to have the chance to work on an Iron Man. Thanks you so much!

49. LOGANCLAW22

LOGANCLAW22 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fetts,

Refreshing to see someone take an alternate route in releasing the "Ultra-super-Top-Secret" technique to build armor suits out of a readily/cheap source of plastic material. I spend alot of time my self sourcing readily available/cheap sources of plastics and foam peices at places like Walmart, Target, etc. I used a sleek bottomed thin foam sled for my iron man stomach along with 4 multiple sized baseball helmets for my shoulder armor, 7-11 cups for gauntlets, detergent bottles for biceps/upper arms, along with some old clone trooper parts, Plastic cups for trapezius area, etc. Mounted everything on some old motocross armor so that I could just slip it on and off. Bought the Helmet.

[​IMG]
    Thanks for starting this thread

50. Jodo

Jodo Sr Member

Man, I realy want to do this...But being Mickey Rourke's son...I'm sorta obligated to...Uhh....Cut your car in half. :(