Female Armored Loki Cosplay (The Avengers Version)

annybarros

Hi guys. This is my first post here on the forum and I'm really happy with it. Sorry if I write something wrong, english is not my native language, so.. This is also my first cosplay and I'm really excited about it. So I'm gonna post some progress pictures and maybe ask for some help from you guys, 'cause you know, I'm not much pro with the whole cosplay thing. A little words about the choice of the cosplay: I just really love Loki. Seriously guys, he's my favourite villain (he beats Vader, yeah, sorry not sorry) and for my first cosplay ever I really wanted to do someone who I love with my heart. And even all the love I have for him, I didn't wanted to make a cosplay, but instead a gender bend. There's a lot of female Loki or a.k.a Lady Loki, but I'm not much of a lady girl, so I choose to made it my way. Since I love The Avengers movie, because we have Loki as main antagonist (YEAH!!!!) and I'm absolutely in love with his costume in the movie, along with how pretty badass he look in the movie. So yeah, I choose The Avengers. So it's this, I guess. For my first building, I choose the scepter, 'cause I haven't build a prop ever and I decided start with the hardest part.

I did a lot of research to even start to build the thing. So I found a plain pattern of the thing and I increased to 3000 pixels (on Photoshop) and then I put a paper over the computer screen and I drew it, because I did not have the slightest idea of ​​how to print it. The scale is right to my size, maybe it need to be resized for you (mine ended up around 90cm - 100cm).

Untitled 2622.pngDSC09576.JPG

For more reference, I used Joy Sutton pic progress, to give me some base of what should I do: http://joysutton.com/2014/04/05/the-very-late-lokis-scepter-v-1-0-step-by-step/

So for the base, I just took a pvc pipe (20mm or 30mm) and bend on the end using my hair heat (yeah, I didn't had a heat gun, and it worked fine for me).

DSC09582.JPGDSC09581.JPG

For the blades, I didn't know how to make, at first. I didn't had any thick foam for made it and then bevel the edges with a dremel (I don't have anything like this lol), so I had to improvise. For the base I used cardboard (cereal box may work too). Then I improvised some more. I basicaly sandwiched the cardboard with 1mm foam (cut the same pattern as the cardboard, but remove 0,5 cm around the edges) and then 2 foam on top (cut the same pattern as the cardboard, but this time remove 1 cm around the edges). Cut the 1mm and 2mm for both sides. The thing is, when you remove some centimeters around the edges, it create a gap, this gap that later I filled with homemade gesso (hey, that's right, homemade gesso because I had not clue where to buy gesso). I made this with the main blade, and with the little one, to make the edge look nice. When I started the blade, I had no clue if it was really work out, but it ended looking more awesome than I expected.

DSC09803.JPGDSC09802.JPG
DSC09809.JPGDSC09808.JPGDSC09813.JPGDSC09812.JPGDSC09811.JPGDSC09810.JPG

There's one more pic, my blade is actually finished, so, the last touch was to make the deep mark that the main blade have on both sides. It look pretty sick :D

DSC09832.JPG

So that's it, for now. I will post more later! Any doubt, just leave a comment and I'll answer it for you.

Last edited:
Hi again! Sorry that take me so long to post new stuff. My progress is getting bigger, and every piece of the armor (by now) is in progress.. I'm planning to start sewing the clothes a.s.a.p. For today, I have some pics of my progress on the headpiece. Instead of the headpiece, I wished to make the helmet, but my skills are pretty lame, so for now, no helmet. So I made a lot of research of how the heck is done a headpiece and gosh I almost freaked out, because I had no clue how to made it, and I haven't found much tutorials or even pics of the thing, so pretty much all the design is made based on everything the I had found. I redid the design at least 5 times to end up with this one. It reminds me a lot of the Scarlet's Witch one, or even Enchantress (from Marvel) headpiece, but I tried a lot to make it look like Loki as possible. I still going to make the hole for the horns, and maybe make a gem to put in the center. Excuse my weird face, and please leave a comment and make me happy! :D

DSC09851.JPGDSC09871.JPGDSC09873.JPGDSC09876.JPG

And now, let me introduce you guys my bracers. I'm so in love with these babies :3 I want to wear them everywhere lol. For all the piece, these guys are ready for painting, but I'm waiting a little longer, because I don't have a clue what kind of paint I buy to paint these armor pieces.. I'm working with eva foam and I want to paint the armor with spray paint, but I read that it possible that it melt the eva foam, and to prime it I'm using acrylic gesso (which I don't know if it's enough for seal the foam), so if you read this post and knows what should I buy to paint it, please help me, I don't want to ruin my armor pieces (ノ◕︿◕)ノ~ And for anyone who's interested in the pattern for the bracers, thanks to Khaos Kostumes for the template: http://khaoskostumes.com/2013/07/12/how-to-make-a-loki-costume-part-9-arm-gaurds/ it saved a lot of my time.

DSC09879.JPGDSC09880.JPGDSC09881.JPG
DSC09883.JPGDSC09884.JPGDSC09882.JPG

By now, it's all. I'm gonna post more a.s.a.p! Bye!

Attachments

• DSC09876.JPG
    DSC09876.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC09873.JPG
    DSC09873.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC09871.JPG
    DSC09871.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Your detail work so far is beautiful! Keep it up, this looks great, especially as your first costume.

Hi guys! I'm here again. So for today, I have my shin guards and boot armor.. For this part of my costume, I used Kamui Cosplay patterns, which helped me a lot, since I didn't had a clue how to make these things. Basically, my decision to make a armored version of Loki came from my love from Kamui's costumes, they're so gorgeous and I couldn't stop myself.

So here some pics of my shin guards, I tried my best to put the much of references of this part of the costume.

DSC09885.JPGDSC09888.JPGDSC09887.JPGDSC09886.JPGDSC09889.JPGDSC09890.JPGDSC09891.JPGDSC09892.JPG

So I really need some help from you guys, because I don't have a clue how to paint the armor, and where I live there's no Plasti dip and I can't afford a primer, so I'm sealing the foam with acrylic gesso. I I bought the gold spray paint and already test on a piece of foam and I didn't melted, but the color looks weird.. There's a way I could fix it? Maybe some layers of glue? Please, help, I'm really looking forward to start painting these stuff.

Hey, Your work is beautiful!

So with the painting problem, how many layers of paint are you putting on? It may take a good few layers to get a good finish. You could try and apply a thin layer of PVA glue to seal the paint, but be carefull of brush marks! You could water down the PVA and put it in a spray bottle but i've never tried this myself!

-Chris

Hey, Your work is beautiful!

So with the painting problem, how many layers of paint are you putting on? It may take a good few layers to get a good finish. You could try and apply a thin layer of PVA glue to seal the paint, but be carefull of brush marks! You could water down the PVA and put it in a spray bottle but i've never tried this myself!

-Chris

I didn't start to paint already.. The problem is because I don't think the foam is sealed enough, so the paint won't fix well and the color will look weird. But I doing some tests on small parts of the eva foam so I can see what will work better to seal the foam.. Anyway, thanks darling, for the tip and for the comment. I don't have much money to spend on a proper clear coat spray so I'll use the tip of put some pva glue to seal the paint.. Anyway, thanks again :D

So I did some tests for the spray painting using some eva foam leftover and this is the result. It have 4 layers of acrylic gesso and 4 layers of spray paint. It looks very good, yeah? I'm happy with the result, it looks nice, but the sad part is it does not match the satin ribbon that I brought to sew on the clothes, but at least the armor will look great.

DSC09974.JPG

Your armor is looking amazing. How did you cut all those little squares in the foam. If your ribbon doesn't match you can try painting the ribbon with the same paint. (Do a little sample to try it out.)

Your armor is looking amazing. How did you cut all those little squares in the foam. If your ribbon doesn't match you can try painting the ribbon with the same paint. (Do a little sample to try it out.)

Thanks dear ;) Are you talking about the little squares on the shin guard? If so, I don't cut of them, I just draw little squares on the foam and them I carve using a screwdriver (the slotted one, that was small, so I could actually carve a perfect square). I already try to paint the ribbon but the paint don't fix well and since is a little bit darker than the paint, I doesn't show much. Here's a picture of both. Looking at it now, doesn't look much different.. Maybe is my eyes lol

DSC09985.JPG

They look pretty close in color in the picture. I recently did some gold armor for my daughter that also required some gold fabric pieces. We ended up finding some nice gold fabric paint that I thinned down for my airbrush to spray the armor with.(I don't know how to post pics). That also a good idea with the screwdriver I wouldn't have thought about that for square holes. Keep up the good work. I see your also working on a Han Solo. Busy you must be.

They look pretty close in color in the picture. I recently did some gold armor for my daughter that also required some gold fabric pieces. We ended up finding some nice gold fabric paint that I thinned down for my airbrush to spray the armor with.(I don't know how to post pics). That also a good idea with the screwdriver I wouldn't have thought about that for square holes. Keep up the good work. I see your also working on a Han Solo. Busy you must be.

They both look the same, but the ribbon is a bit more darkness. But I really need to stop myself, cause this is my first cosplay and I'm pushing myself to make everything perfect. So I'm gonna use it anyway.. And yeah, I'm working on Han Solo too, and I only have a month to finish but everything is almost done. Go big or go home is my new motto lol.

Looks great so far, i like the detail work you are doing :) making a great costume is all in the details. I like that motto too

More progress with the scepter, actually I finished it, but I still need to take the pictures, so, here some details. I attach the blades on the pvc pipe using some silicone that I found on my dad's stuff and to reinforce it, I put a layer of durepox. The details on the handle of the scepter is made with craft foam. The pieces that go on the end of the scepter are 2mm eva foam that I bend using my hairdryer. For the light, I even went for the help of my dad. I had no clue how to make it, so my dad come with the idea of using this little lantern inside the pvc pipe, and he brought this little blue light. It's not the same of the original version, but is going to work, and maybe I change it in the future, when I find something to replace it. So that's it, I'll update it as soon as I can.

DSC09921.JPGDSC09924.JPGDSC09920.JPGDSC09926.JPGDSC09927.JPGDSC09928.JPGDSC09929.JPGDSC09930.JPGDSC09931.JPG

Some update here. I started painting my armor two weeks ago (I guess) and here's one of the finished pieces.. I wanted to start with the boot armor because I was very nervous to ruin any other part of my armor. But I think I did pretty good. The paint looks very good. I painted the bracers as well, so I'll post some pics tomorrow. I'm need to start sewing my costume now, because I just wasted a lot of my time on other stuff and I need to finish to this one.

DSC09914.JPGDSC09915.JPGDSC09916.JPGDSC09917.JPG

So back to this cosplay, last week I started to sew the clothes.. This are the flaps of the jacket.. I'm not using leather/pleather because is expensive and I just decide to not use it. The jacket is almost done and I'm happy with the design. I made it more feminine than the original version, the jacket ends on the waist and the flaps ends on the knees, so it can work fine with the rest of the design.

IMG_20160123_154651233.jpgIMG_20160130_174207246.jpgIMG_20160130_174229543.jpgIMG_20160130_174213769.jpg

And I started to paint the scepter (finally) and it is looking very good.

IMG_20160130_171113989.jpgIMG_20160130_171102387.jpgIMG_20160130_171058068.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back