Feasible to Modify a Sword to Make Anglachel? (LOTR Prop/Functional Sword)

MurderBagel

Hey All, this is my first post around here, it's a pleasure to meet you all!

I go by MurderBagel, and I've had an obsession with Lord of the Rings for the longest time, so since this is my first sword purchase I naturally wanted it to be modified to be based on one from Middle Earth!

I'm currently buying this sword (it's a cool sword regardless of whether or not I'm able to modify it) and I'm wanting to turn it into a version of Anglachel, aka Gurthang, which is a legendary sword wielded by Turin, crafted by a dark elf from a meteorite (Damascus Steel really serves to give it that meteorite look). I was inspired by this piece of artwork (shown with the bow for size reference) and I want to change the hilt to be something a bit different (possibly something more elvish) I just don't like the look of the brass, though the leather parts of the grip are quite nice.

All this to say I'm wondering how feasible y'all think it would be to have a bladesmith or someone make these changes for me.

Thanks!
- MB

EDIT: I also plan on replacing the scabbard that comes with the sword at some point, but that'll be a later project.

Last edited:
It depends on how extensive the differences are. If it's just the furniture, then, yes, it is. If it's including the blade, then you'd probably be better off having it custom made from scratch.

It depends on how extensive the differences are. If it's just the furniture, then, yes, it is. If it's including the blade, then you'd probably be better off having it custom made from scratch.
I really like the blade, so it'll just be the hilt: Pommell, grip, and guard.

It also depends on how the base sword is constructed, if it's peened then it's harder to take apart than if it's screwed together. But either is reversible, especially if you're not worried about saving the current pommel.

New crossguard, grip, and pommel isn't a too tough a job so depending on your workshop space you could even look at doing it yourself.

It also depends on how the base sword is constructed, if it's peened then it's harder to take apart than if it's screwed together. But either is reversible, especially if you're not worried about saving the current pommel.

New crossguard, grip, and pommel isn't a too tough a job so depending on your workshop space you could even look at doing it yourself.
I'm certainly not as committed to blades as to have a workshop, so I'm really wanting to hire someone, preferably locally (DFW area), to craft something for me. Especially as I'd rather pay someone experienced than mess it up myself. :D Honestly if anyone has any recommendations in the DFW area or even just Texas for bladesmiths or other craftsmen who might be experienced with this type of thing it'd be greatly appreciated.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back