Favorite Movies from the 80's that nobody seems to talk about anymore

I always liked

Red Dawn
Some kind of Wonderful
Pretty in Pink cuz I loved Ducky!! LOL
Billy Jean *was a fav*
Dirty dancing
Officer and a Gentleman *first naughty part i ever saw*

These are just some of my favs of the past. Cant believe they remade Red dawn, has anyone seen it? is it up to par? Should I waste my time? thanks Michelle

After reading some of the nostalgic threads posted recently and hearing Love is a Battlefield on the radio during my trip to work today, favorite films of mine from my younger days started popping into my head and I decided to start this thread.

- Better Off Dead

Now there's a blast from the past...and the first mention of it that I have seen since the 80's..... I remember the trailer being on the original FOX rental vhs......Always made me laugh.....Then years later i actually bought a copy from HMV for £18.99.......Just to see
:lol
"I'm gonna ski, I'm gonna lose, I'm gonna die...In that order!"
"HE'S SKIING ON ONE SKI!!!!"
Absolutely classic dialogue! :lol

Now there's a blast from the past...and the first mention of it that I have seen since the 80's..... I remember the trailer being on the original FOX rental vhs......Always made me laugh.....Then years later i actually bought a copy from HMV for £18.99.......Just to see
:lol
"I'm gonna ski, I'm gonna lose, I'm gonna die...In that order!"
"HE'S SKIING ON ONE SKI!!!!"
Absolutely classic dialogue! :lol
I love Better off Dead!
"Now that's a dam shame, when people be thowin away a perfectly good white boy like that"
"This is pure snow, do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is!!"
:lol That movie is pure 80s!!!

Last edited:
I have been having a blast going through this thread, and seeing how many people are naming movies from the 90's rather than the 80's. LOL!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I liked

Suburbia (1983)
On of the few films that realistically depicts the punk seen.

Into the Night (1985)
I liked the Idea of this film, who would not want to run away with Michelle Pfeiffer ?

Brazil (1985)
OK it blew my mind, I have been looking for it ever since.

Less than zero (1987)
What a atmosphere this film created,

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)
just weird.

some really great ones mentioned above!

These might not have been mentioned...

Testament (1983) - the nuclear war movie that was everything that "The Day After" should have been. Testament has such a powerful narrative and characters that were well written. In comparison "The Day After" was just another contrived disaster melodrama with stock characters and predictable arc. See Testament. That film still makes me cry.

Koyaanisqatsi (1982) - a visually arresting film without characters or dialogue. I don't know if it has the same impact today as it did back then, but I would say that much visual exposition today was influenced by this movie. This film should be a boring waste of time but I couldn't take my eyes off it.

Nineteen Eighty Four (1984) - I really love the look and pace of this movie. Acting was poignant and beatiful.

The Singing Detective (1986 BBC miniseries) - one of the best miniseries I've ever seen to date. Michael Gambon is just superb. It's mystery, comedy, musical, psychological thriller and very thematically, psychologically and emotionally rich narrative. Based on the semiautobiographical treatment by Dennis Potter about a mystery writer with severe psoriatic arthropathy who finds himself hallucinating in a hospital ward. Don't watch the 2003 Hollywood version ... watch this one. You can find it posted on YouTube. Just watch the first episode and see what you think.

Live and Die in LA (1985) - great cop film with standout performance by Willem Dafoe. I've watched it again and again.

Extreme Prejudice (1987) - I've watched this Walter Hill action flick many, many times. It's often overlooked but it's got some great moments and stands up to multiple viewings IMO.

After Hours (1985) - small scale Scorsese film that's just plain fun to watch. The character reminds me of myself many years ago, and I have had more than one night like his (not as extreme, of course, but along similar lines.) in strange neighborhoods.

My Dinner With Andre (1981) - just wonderful to hear this discussion. Nothing profound. Just great discourse.

Last edited:
Rock & Rule... Cheap Trick, Debbie Harry... AMAZING!
hyvese4u.jpg

And To Live and Die in LA has the greatest jaw-dropper EVER!!!

Rock & Rule... Cheap Trick, Debbie Harry... AMAZING! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/26/hyvese4u.jpg
And To Live and Die in LA has the greatest jaw-dropper EVER!!!

Rock & Rule was so hard to find a copy of in the 90s, i ended up with crap bootleg from the laserdisc. I found the 2 disc dvd set though. There's no official soundtrack either, you have to piece it together from the net. Debbie actually rewrote one of the songs, melody is the same, for a Blondie release.

some glaring omissions:

Dead Zone (1983) - Here's one that definitely doesn't get the attention it deserves. One Cronenberg's best movies, one of the best "Stephen King" movies (in an ocean of crappy adaptations) and clearly one of Christopher Walken's greatest performances on film. This film is just a gem of a story told perfectly. It's really a buried treasure. Forget the remake. This is the one to watch.

Dogs of War (1980) - Coincidentally another film with Walken. Great action movie based on the Frederick Forsyth novel. Just brilliant.

Thief (1981) - before Michael Mann brought us "Heat" he did "Thief" which is an engrossing heist/action movie. James Caan at his best demonstrating a superb presence. Just his style of speaking in this movie is so great. What a performance. Also notable for Willie Nelson's first acting role ... please don't roll your eyes ... he was actually damn good. The danger of using such a high profile celebrity is that it can destroy the viewer's suspension of disbelief ("Hey that's Willie Nelson!") - but his performance transcends that. He's just perfect as James Caan's mentor/father figure and gives a powerfully understated performance. Small part but spot on. Technically the film is great, too. I love how Michael Mann's characters actually know how to handle firearms; you'll be hard pressed to find a better depiction of modern firearm handling in movies than Michael Mann's movies ("Thief", "Heat" and "Collateral" come to mind.) I've had some tactical defensive firearms education and have accepted that Hollywood will just get it wrong ... But I was stunned when I saw James Caan actually "pieing" corners with a modified Weaver stance! (Sure, there's a little dramatic license in how it's portrayed but it's still beautiful to watch.)

From Beyond (1986) - Sure, Stuart Gordon's "Re-Animator" is a classic, but I thought From Beyond was more faithful to the spirit of the source material. It's just about the most "Lovecraftian" film that comes to mind.

Mona Lisa (1986) - Bob Hoskins in a great part.

(dang, I watched a lot of movies in the 80's)

The Man With Two Brains (1983) - I liked just about every Steve Martin movie but I think this one is his best film from that era.

Top Secret! (1984) - great Zucker Abrams Zucker film. They're mostly known for Airplane! and Naked Gun but Top Secret is just as good anything they've ever done... (I'd also list Kentucky Fried Movie but that's from the 70's.) I think a lot of viewers were a little dumbfounded that the film was lampooning both Elvis Presley movies and WW II films. Just the premise alone was funny as hell. I suspect a lot of younger viewers at the time didn't get the joke. And there's the brilliant Swedish bookstore scene that was a single long take filmed in reverse... And like most AZA films it's very quotable.

Company of Wolves ... sure, it was already mentioned but it was buried in a list of every single 80's horror film. I think it deserves special attention. And the Sarah Patterson is very pretty ... it's a shame she disappeared from the public eye. I wanted to see more of her.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back