80's movies would have more longevity...if they could change the music!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by The Dude, Jan 5, 2012.

1. The Dude

The Dude Sr Member

I have some favorite 80's flicks.

Good story lines and acting that seem to stand the test of time.

However...the music montages used during these movies to evoke emotion or what not (dramatic scenes, etc) make me cringe now.

Post a video link of your most cringe worthy 80's flick moment based on the music played at the time of the scene.

Here is my contribution....

Karate Kid Montage - You're the Best - YouTube

You're the best, Danny!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. Yarko

Yarko Well-Known Member

Actually, I believe the opposite. Some movies nowadays would feel more special if only they had some 80s style music. Specially zombie and low budget sci-fi movies. Music tends to be too subtle/random nowadays. Cheesy electronic music can actually enhance a low budget movie by making it look like it was intended to look like that.

Look at Nightmare on Elm Street, for example. The original had that stupid electronic music, but you hear it and think, OMG, Freddy is coming! It had that creepy 80s feeling. The remake had a better quality and orchestal music... which doesn't really sets the mood for the movie, it just fills the silence.

3. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

I disagree. The score for the following movies still stand the test of time:

1. Miracle Mile (by Tangerine Dream)
    2. Blade Runner (by Vangilis)
    3. Near Dark (by Tangerine Dream)
    4. The Terminator (by Brad Fiedel)
    5. Practically every score by John Carpenter and Alan Howarth for Carpenter's film (with the exception of The Thing, which was composed by Ennio Morricone (with Carpenter doing a few bits uncredited).

4. simplejack

simplejack New Member

ladyhawke - would fit

5. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

If you want a good example of the 80's rock music making a movie better, watch the two versions of Legend. With the Tangerine Dream soundtrack, it's something really special and fun to watch. With the classical score, it becomes just another fantasy movie which is blah, in my opinion.

6. Dart

Dart Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I dig the old music. It's a snapshot of what they thought was cool then, so it fits just fine. Sure, it might be dated but that's part of the charm.

7. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Nothing music wise should be changed, it's what make them special and stand out from the crap movies today who seem to just be giant music videos for bands with no lasting power or talent.

8. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

I totally agree that Bladerunner and Terminator would lose something if the music was changed. To me, Terminator is one of those films where the music really captures the mood.
    Maybe there's a hint of nostalgia talking there, but I also think the music from Karate Kid is fine the way it is.

Yopu don't get this sort of "Let's update it, modernise it, re-do it" craze with books. I mean, no-one says "Hey, let's re-write the Bond novels and update them" right?

9. hansicle

hansicle Sr Member

If I remember correctly, an idea I had didn't go over well. I think instead of remaking some of the better "older" versions of classic movies, they would almost be better off pulling a Lucas and just redoing the special effects digitally. I like Highlander, but some of the effects could be redone. Could you imagine the final shot when he finally wins the "Prize", what they could do with the effects now.

10. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Somehow the thought of adding 80's music to anything gives me the *.

80's music sucked. Unless you went to high school in the 80's. It still sucked but you didn't notice.

11. Roland

Roland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Let me guess: You're about 20!

80's music is the best. And yes: That was my school time. :p

12. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

The original Terminator music is in my mind EXACTLY the kind of thing this tread is about. That * synth music...it's awful. But I don't think anything should be changed. Let history stand.

13. Deathstalker II

Deathstalker II Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to be a dick (I seem to have to say that every time I post here), but Shen - I hope you NEVER complain about remakes - 'cause you are WHY they exist. Studios remake these films to exploit a brand - but also to eliminate real or imagined "hokiness" some people get from dated music, performances, and effects.

Highlander could be better with new effects? Enjoy the remake!

And it CERTAINLY would be better without all that cheesy '80s music. Instead of all that, let's get Gaga - she's today's Freddie Mercury-style flamboyant performer - she could do COVERS of all of those Queen songs! She could add REAL emotion to something like "Who Wants to Live Forever!"

And if you think music was bad in the '80s, you weren't listening to the right music. There's a reason all of the bands today are trying to emulate that sound - they've got nothing going on NOW. People up on their hind-legs over the soundtrack for Refn's Drive - it's ALL '80s STYLE - and it's being used in the film THE EXACT SAME WAY MOVIES IN THE '80s used it - it's played over Miami Vice-style DRIVING MONTAGES.

And Drive would be a standard-issue revenger if not for that feel.

Film lives in the time in which it was made. Removing it from that time is murdering it.

14. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

I kinda like the Ladyhawke score, but I do admit I wouldnt mind watching the movie with something more like the Lord of the Rings tunes.

15. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

Oh come on now! I was born in the early 80's, and I still love GOOD 80's music! Siouxsie and the Banshees, Blondie, Adam Ant, New Order, Talking Heads, Robert Palmer, David Bowie...I could go on :$

And I agree with the Legend statement!

I could have done without the cheese ball song from Monster Squad...but that kind of made it funnier :lol!

16. nightwind1

nightwind1 Active Member

No, it wouldn't. The music in Ladyhawke is part of what makes it awesome. Alan Parson's Project makes everything better.

17. DARTH ANIBAL

DARTH ANIBAL Sr Member

Re: Micdavis's quote...

That's hilarious.

18. The Dude

The Dude Sr Member

Oooookayy....

Yeah...yeah..there was some 80's movies that had great music. I totally agree with some of the examples given. Got that.

So I guess no one has another example of a movie that had music in it that seemed corny or made you wince?

You know...the original intention of thread. ;)

Come on....not even a Sly Stone movies comes to mind for anyone?

MicDavis is the only one that came close to understanding what I meant...but then again he is an old guy like me. :)

19. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

To be honest, the last movie that I can think of where the music made me cringe was There will be Blood. It was like they took all these great pieces of music and hit RANDOM instead of putting them in where they would enhance the emotional impact of the scene they're playing over.

20. terryr

terryr Sr Member

The soundtrack for Cobra is HORRIBLE!! Second rate pop rock crapola. I listened to it...once.

Studio execs wanted Star Wars to have a disco soundtrack. Think about that.

The music is a part of a movie just as much as the costumes or dialog. Changing it changes the feel of the movie. But if you want timeless, go orchestral.

21. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Not an 80's movie, but I had the same thought when watching Forbidden Planet lately. It's a cool, somewhat serious sci-fi movie that is just cheapened by the music, some of the sound effects and some of the optical effects, such as the weapons firing. Though, changing things in that one... well... it just feels like committing a George Lucas.

The Brad Fiedel Terminator scores are some of my favorites. Something the other sequels lacked.

The Tangerine Dream soundtrack in Legend isn't even the original soundtrack - I never heard it until when I bought the special edition dvd that had both versions and man the American cut was weird, lifeless and bland.

22. Deric

Deric Sr Member

Watch the cartoon Movie of Transformers. I hated the music of that thing when the movie came out. Watching it now is painful in some spots especially the opening credits.

23. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

You can't criticise the music for Forbidden Planet. It was entirely created electronically, in an age before it was easy to do that sort of thing. It's meant to evoke the sounds of the vast alien machinery, etc.

24. Too Much Garlic

Of course I can. Many things that were/are difficult to create still look and sound like ****. How hard it was to create just gives a point of recognition to the effort put into it, but the end result can be judged on its own and if it sounds like **** to me... it sounds like ****.

25. cayman shen

How the **** am I why they exist? I said they shouldn't remake it. Let history stand. If you'd been around awhile you'd see that I vehemently oppose most remakes, special editions, etc. ALL I was saying was Terminator music was cheesy and dated. IMMEDIATELY followed by saying leave it be. Jesus. PARLAY VOO ANGLAYS?

26. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I'm totally against any modifying of old movies other than cleaning them up if they're older and the footage is getting rough. The Transformers 1986 music isn't that bad, i have that soundtrack and all the other albums from Stan Bush and Vince Dicola.

27. Deathstalker II

Deathstalker II Well-Known Member

OHHHHHHHH SHEN!!!!

DUDE - I am SO sorry!!!!! Obviously, I posted in the wee hours, and attributed to you the ENTIRLY WRONG viewpoint. My post was directed at those who say the films SHOULD be whitewashed (The Dude's perspective, not yours). I obviously got some handles mixed up.

Again - I truly apologize. Chalk it up to an all-nighter/posting at 6:00am.

28. cayman shen

Not a problem :)

29. Too Much Garlic

The score or the songs?

The songs make sense seeing as the movie takes place in the 80's after all.

The score... hmm... simply not following you there, but I guess that may be because I like the music Brad Fiedel created for those two movies.

30. cayman shen

The score I meant. Not the main theme (which is great), and not all of it, but some parts like from about 1:15 on in this scene: The Terminator Truck chase - YouTube

But dated isn't always bad. I mean, you can tell movies from the 40s when they bust out the overblown harp music during romantic scenes. Doesn't mean I'd "update" it or it's bad. There is just some music from the 70s and 80s scores that are older but still recent enough to feel cheesy. Like in the 80s the 70s seemed cheesy but now they're cool. Right now, the 90s seem cheesy. It's a cycle of looking down on the styles of recent decades. "Oh thank god we're not doing THAT anymore!" In ten years what's cheesy now will seem retro and cool. In twenty, it'll be classic.

31. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Are you kidding? The whole chase scene's of the best tracks in the film! In fact, I appreciate it more because of the difficulty that Brad Fiedel had just to get the sequencers to play correctly at the same pacing that he wanted them to do. He talks about it on one of the making-of featurettes on The Terminator DVD).

32. ShadowX81

ShadowX81 Well-Known Member

Actually I think the 90s had far worse music in movies.

90s movies had this annoying habbit of using classic songs in them re-recorded as punk/scream rock covers. It got to me then, and does even more now that it is dated.

33. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

80's movie music ROCKS. Like totally. Anything else would be groady to the max. I couldn't imagine living in a world where the music from Rocky IV was modern. I had the cassette tape as a kid (look it up young folk) and wore it out. Same thing with the Huey Lewis heavy BTTF soundtrack. The Karate Kid was already mentioned for its awesomeness. Might have to have a rockin' 80s movie marathon now.

John

34. Too Much Garlic

I think movies that actually takes place in and is supposed to be centered around the eighties would be insane to start changing out tunes. It's sorta meshed together. Science fiction or other such kind of movies from the eighties that are supposed to be taking place in the future seems more quickly dated because, they are not really linked to the eighties in that sense within the storyline or settings, so having eighties music just feels out of place in the long run.

Star Wars was mentioned. A seventies movie, but still relevant to the discussion in some way. It would have been absolutely HORRIBLE with a disco score and would maybe not have become as timeless as it is. Though, they get bastardized in other ways and no longer exist... so... perhaps a bad example.

35. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

You don't know fun unless you were a teen in the 80's. Everything from that era was geared toward us kids - video games, Mtv, Thanks to Michael Jackson - Dance Clubs, Breakdancing replaced gangfights. - The 80's were - well, AWESOME - AWESOME TO THE MAX!

I remember going to see Zapped with this hot girl from Junior High and this scene was all we needed to mess around in a storage closet
    Zapped! [1982] - Got to Believe in Magic - David Pomeranz - YouTube
    I won't post Princes of the Universe - not when this was just as bad *
    Highlander Music Video: Queen - Gimme the Prize - YouTube

I also find it funny the example you use as "bad" being the Karate Kid - did you know there was a remake?- cause most people forgot.