Fan Gatekeeping?

Well yeah no one can stop you from enjoying a hobby, but the gatekeepers make an effort. I've been seeing it everywhere lately. I've been watching a lot of woodworking videos on Youtube and you get a lot of people who deride others for using power tools and not using hand tools for everything. The people who had to use hand tools would definitely be doing it the easiest/fastest way possible if they had access at the time! The best comment in response was "I cut and mill my own wood from trees I grew myself. I will have some cabinets available for sale, sometime in 2075."

I also remember a contest Metallica did where they brought fans to their preshow (rehearsal, tune up?). One younger woman said she had only be a fan since the 2000s and James Hetfeld (lead vocals, guitar) said "So you're not a real fan right?" and rolled his eyes because older fans say if you weren't there since 83, you're not a "real fan".

Then, more pertaining to us, particularly with attractive female fans, is quizzing them to "make sure they're really fans". Like they just spent the money on cloths and collectibles just to hang out with the nerds.

Well, it's a take, that's for sure... His experience with fandom is quite a bit different than mine, which is fine. However, I don't take to a major news outlet and try to present my experience in a very specific instance as universal across all fandoms.

Honestly, there is a difference between physically preventing someone from accessing things, and making people feel unwelcome when it comes to a fandom.

I don't think it's so much fan gate-keeping that's a bother to me, people are always gonna be people; even if that means that they're ignorant jerks sometimes. For me, the problem comes from being undiscerning, being a fan of everything. To quote Psab keel signature, "If you settle for mediocrity, that's all you'll ever get."

Last edited:
I don't think it's so much fan gate-keeping that's a bother to me, people are always gonna be people; even if that means that they're ignorant jerks sometimes. For me, the problem comes from being undiscerning, being a fan of everything. To quote Psab keel signature, "If you settle for mediocrity, that's all you'll ever get."
Loving everything is definitely is a red flag but with a caveat. Who decides what's mediocre, where is the line? It's not exactly universal. I'm pretty sure all of us enjoy things that someone else thinks are awful. The same could be said about hating everything.

"Taste and color are a private matter" That being said; I don't have time to waste with those kinds of "Fans/Gatekeepers". I do/like what I want and no-one is going to change my mind about my passions. It's just so High-School mentality and being part of the "cool clique".
Reading that article made me tick my "Whatever" box:rolleyes:

I'm glad to make friends with people who have similar interests and I enjoy or dislike whatever content piques my interest, but the older I get the less interested I am in fandom as a concept. Fandom these days seems to require either proof of membership, or perceived disinterest (ironically.)

Thinking back I've always been sort of on the outskirts of groups even under the banner of "fandom" so I'll just continue to enjoy what I like from the outside.

Depends on the gatekeeping. If it's fans trying to keep out others in order to keep their beloved property "exclusive" to them then I'm against it. If it's fans protecting their beloved property from being reimagined to appeal to a broader audience thereby changing it fundamentally, then I'm all for it.

That article was nonsense, at least the example used. I got involved in anime in the late 80s when there were club meetings growing everywhere, open to the public, and anyone who wanted to bring a VCR and tapes could hook into the line and record the entire thing for free, no questions asked. There was no gatekeeping going on anywhere, nobody ever said "you're not welcome". Granted, that's my experience, but as someone who ran a major anime group back in the day and who communicated regularly with other anime groups across the country, that simply wasn't the vibe in the early days. It was incredibly open and welcoming and those that had something, they were always willing to share it with others. The only time you got ostracized was when you earned it by being a douche canoe.

Depends on the gatekeeping. If it's fans trying to keep out others in order to keep their beloved property "exclusive" to them then I'm against it. If it's fans protecting their beloved property from being reimagined to appeal to a broader audience thereby changing it fundamentally, then I'm all for it.
That's part of it, yes. But the article is also suggesting that it's not fans who are gatekeeping, it's the current rights holders of the properties with the attitude "We own this property now and we can do what we want with it. If you don't like it you're just a (fill in the blank)". Strange no one's commented on this point.

Was that the point?
I completely missed it.
Just when I thought the article was getting interesting and he was going to elaborate on the "nuances", it abruptly ended. If that was the point he was trying to make he should have just said so.
I thought I was getting served a bowl of delicious ramen, and instead spent 10 minutes stirring a bowl of murky water looking for a single noodle that wasn't there.

I agree with the sentiment that corporate culture is infecting Fandom in a negative way, but if the article alluded to that it was vague at best. It did suggest there was more there and it's definitely a conversation worth having if you're invested in these properties but I almost wonder if the article itself was cut short because it didn't go that deep.

That's part of it, yes. But the article is also suggesting that it's not fans who are gatekeeping, it's the current rights holders of the properties with the attitude "We own this property now and we can do what we want with it. If you don't like it you're just a (fill in the blank)". Strange no one's commented on this point.
I disagree that that was his point. He never mentioned anything about actual owners of IP, just people who had access blocking others from gaining access (ie, fans who had anime cassettes not sharing the goods with others).

If that was your takeaway, that's fine... but I can tell you right now, no holder of a license to an IP has ever blocked someone's ability to access it because that's a sure way to not make money off your investment.

Yes, fans are "gatekeeping." Look at concerts. Folks who claim to be fans are now getting first dibs on premium seating. They weaseled their way into the system claiming to be fans, but after a few drinks they are boasting how they got, "these killer seats!" and when the band plays anything aside from their breakout hit, those same *fans* want everyone to sit down and enjoy the show.

It gets pretty sad when you see someone with their date sitting in the first few rows, clearly just enduring a show, not getting how some around them are on the fringes of having an ecstacy seizure from the good music. And these same folks aren't shy about how they get dibs because in their eyes they are fans and had the right contact. Next show different town, if nearby, there they are again, SAME SEAT. Same out-of-place look.

I may be projecting my own thoughts on it, based on the line about "gatekeepers" being those who "control access". Fans don't "control" anything, it's the makers of said property who have control. And I've seen numerous cases of these makers accusing certain fans of gatekeeping, and worse, just for being critical of their films, shows or whatever. That's the "gatekeeping" that I see happening today.

Second example....

One person became a "fan" of Dr Who because a female Doctor finally clicked their checkbox.

The second helped make molds of John Pertwee's teeth, and used to attend Spirit of Light cons.

Who is the bigger fan?

The first one controls access to VIP meet and greets, invites friends to a limited seating, high-cost events at no charge( while all others pay a premium)...Heck! 1/2 of the friends they invite to a closed event dont even show up! They claim to be a fan , a *lifelong fan* but dont have a favorite episode. They hyperventilate and pretend to be on the verge of tears when sincerely asked any question that might expose their deficit.

Controlling artendance to a high-priced, limited seating events *IS* gatekeeping. High Price and limited availability being controlled by lying Napoleons. Even if you are willing to pay for the event, the scammers will monopolize guest asking generic questions asked at every panel the guest has ever attended. *sigh*

I remember asking Nicola Bryant if there was ever anything she wanted to talk about but no one ever asked. She went on for half an hour how she always thought she was an adult, even as a child.

Fans vs legit fans comes into question.

I've learned to laugh at the scammers. I feel sorry for them, but ultimately they screw the legit fans.

Second example....

One person became a "fan" of Dr Who because a female Doctor finally clicked their checkbox.

The second helped make molds of John Pertwee's teeth, and used to attend Spirit of Light cons.

Who is the bigger fan?

The first one controls access to VIP meet and greets, invites friends to a limited seating, high-cost events at no charge( while all others pay a premium)...Heck! 1/2 of the friends they invite to a closed event dont even show up! They claim to be a fan , a *lifelong fan* but dont have a favorite episode. They hyperventilate and pretend to be on the verge of tears when sincerely asked any question that might expose their deficit.

Controlling artendance to a high-priced, limited seating events *IS* gatekeeping. High Price and limited availability being controlled by lying Napoleons. Even if you are willing to pay for the event, the scammers will monopolize guest asking generic questions asked at every panel the guest has ever attended. *sigh*

I remember asking Nicola Bryant if there was ever anything she wanted to talk about but no one ever asked. She went on for half an hour how she always thought she was an adult, even as a child.

Fans vs legit fans comes into question.

I've learned to laugh at the scammers. I feel sorry for them, but ultimately they screw the legit fans.

OR... maybe they actually got to see themselves reflected in the main character of a show they were aware of, but had trouble investing in previously. The judgmental overtones of this single sentence undermines any point you're trying to make. Your experiences with media are not the same as everyone else's.

I don't care if you've gotten into something like Star Trek around the time of Bjo Trimble's letter-writing campaign that helped save Trek as a franchise, or if you've just come to the franchise with Discovery or Prodigy.

MY experience with a franchise isn't universal and it is not MY right to discount your love of the thing.

I know this is hard for some to accept, but you don't get to label people "real" or "legit" fans.

Access/attendance to events is not the same as being fans. That's business. If someone is skirting the rules and letting friends in for free, that's between them and the business. It has nothing to do with you.

Maybe that's harsh, but it's a flat truth. You can be upset if you can't afford an event you want to attend, but if the demand wasn't there and there weren't people who were willing/able to pay the costs, I promise you, the events wouldn't be happening.

I may be projecting my own thoughts on it, based on the line about "gatekeepers" being those who "control access". Fans don't "control" anything, it's the makers of said property who have control. And I've seen numerous cases of these makers accusing certain fans of gatekeeping, and worse, just for being critical of their films, shows or whatever. That's the "gatekeeping" that I see happening today.

As far as I'm concerned, that's the only gatekeeping. Who owns the IP's and what they dictate is acceptable. Hence, my post. I wish the responses were more sensible than attacking people involved with making the thing as it was just a job.

OR... maybe they actually got to see themselves reflected in the main character of a show they were aware of, but had trouble investing in previously. The judgmental overtones of this single sentence undermines any point you're trying to make. Your experiences with media are not the same as everyone else's.

Except this person openly ADMITTED that is why they became interested in the show and was now the show's "BIGGEST FAN."

I simply relayed what they proudly admitted to doing.

So, the "judgemental overtones" are theirs ...And YOURS. ;)

and the fake fans love to pronounce themselves the "Biggest fans." Yeah, I dont belive inparticipation trophies either.

I could go on eviscerating your projection tactic, fantasy, and logic flaws, but you clearly want an argument.

If you ever want to see how good an actor truly is, watch how they deal with a fake fan. The actors eyes are sparkling, big smile, and the fake fan doesnt even have a favorite episode... can't recall the name of one companion... doesnt have bas8c familiarity of an incident on the set that was reported world wide!

sparkle gone. Limp handshake.

The next legit fan is stuck with damage control, trying to convince the guest that not everyone from their neck of the woods is a complete douche.

It screws everyone.

The fake fan is sitting down during a great concert, because they already got their selfies, now everytime an artist looks at them, they tap their watch and yawn, like its time to go.

it screws everybody.

They have taken a spot that someone in the nosebleeds would gladly have paid for if they had the right connections.

I have witnessed these experiences repeatedly. And not every time, but definitely becoming more common.

Oh, by the way, witnessing it means, I was there. ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back