Fallout New Vegas: NCR Veteran Ranger Finished! pg 8

I used a sheet of aluminum to create one. I made an outfit for airsoft and backed the mask with fiberglass. The mask is heavy and had I made no mistakes, I could've gotten away with not even needing to paint it. Thank goodness for JB Weld. It's crude, but it looks nice and it'll take a beating on the airsoft fields.

Anywho...the purpose of my post is this. I have access to a laser cutter. It cuts only non-PVC plastics (PVC emits a nasty gas when it melts). I used that thin sheet plastic they use to make those no trespassing and beware of dog signs. It's flexible and when it's backed with fiberglass, it's very strong. It took hours to remove all the numbers and perforated lines in illustrater, but it took only minutes to make patterns for two masks, minus the helmet.

Hey guys,
long time with no new news, because well, the costume was DONE

but i went back and have been improving parts, i even made a mold of the helmet and have a cast to show you all! ive been painting it up and trying out a few new tricks with much better, fully 1 way lenses.

also a new mask hose, a redesigned canister for the side of the face and a removable nose cone that is secured with earth magnets to allow the newly designed mask + helmet combination to be just one whole piece, so i wont have any issue of the mask and helmet slipping around with each other.

tyHuhh.jpg

eI2wvh.jpg

OUmdDh.jpg

What thickness of styrene did you use? Im building one as well and Im using .040 because of its ability to bend, but Im starting to think that I should have used .060

pretty sure i used 060 on mine,
looking back on how i made it, it was a very time consuming and frustrating build, i wish people the best of luck doing it, and i'm still keeping my eye on giving tips for those who need a hand,
i'm just glad i can make them in resin now, its much much easier to just cast them up.

Re: Fallout New Vegas: Ranger belt

Hey I was wondering if what kind of belt/buckle you have and where did you get it. I like the way it looks with the star on it and wanted to make my own, can you only do that with a air brush or will spray paint work as well? How well does the paint or whatever you use hold up? Is there any way you could post the bear stencil you used on the NCR Ranger duster, I wanted to put that on a belt as well.

a painters tape star with regular spraypaint should do fine.
the type of belt? its just a military roller belt, no idea on the name of them, they are often at surplus stores.
they are what skaters use as belts a lot of time.

my bear stencil is waaaaaay too big to put on your belt, and anyway, i just got the design from the game, there are BMPs and JPGs out there of the black and white bear, just use google :)

Amazing works of art! Simple and elegant! I really like the simplicity of the armor, yet it has a good impact for the look your trying to achieve! Keep up the awesome work homey!

Love the page and great job. I am going to make my own but I was just wondering what you attached the foam pieces to. I couldn't really tell from the pictures and was hoping you could help me out,

After cutting the vest out in foam, what is the dark grey(foam or material) you have behind it to give it depth, also what heat device did you use to curve the foam?

Re: Fallout New Vegas: NCR Veteran Ranger

Hey.... Kommissar...Could you please tell me how to paint that mask?? I'm really having problems with it... I wanna make such a metallic texture with painting but it is hard for me to do :(

Re: Fallout New Vegas: NCR Veteran Ranger

Always start with a primer, you dont want your base material color to bleed through. Then hit it with a coat or two of your color of choice. What really is going to help get that 'metallic look' is the weathering. Use black or brown paint then paint it on and wipe off most of it, and you'll start to get streaks from the color you used. It gives your piece a grimy look to it, like you've been dragging it through the desert.

Primer in black, or dark grey then black paint.
after that, dry brush a good gunmetal all over, then rub some bronzes and browns in various areas for weathering.
alternatively spraypaint it gunmetal over the black, and then use watered down acrylics in black and browns to give depth to the deeper recesses.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back