Fallout: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets UPDATED 12/2/2018

Re: Fallout 3: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets

Thanks, yeah the idea is for a working head torch. I'll drill a hole in the parts after they are casted, as well as the hole in the main bucket where the parts fit over. The lens for the lamp is almost ready, I'll be casting it in clear tinted resin. Looking into what exact color I'll use, but I suspect it will be trail and error getting the color right. The lens won't be crystal clear like in the renders, the idea is to try for a more clouded look about them.

Soon enough I'm going to start looking into exactly what I'll be using for the light itself, and how it will be installed. I imagine it shouldn't be a world of difficulty, but at the moment do not have a solid idea as far as how I'm going to do it.

Awesome, I had the same idea but have no experience with casting any resin so mine will just be a painted when its printed. And ye, the lens colour slighty changes depending if you use the in game texture or the old F1/F2 artwork, but ye trial and error.

That is great looking. Such as smooth finish.

If the light is supposed to articulate, you could use a magnetic ball mount.

From the old artwork and the new image of the T51b bethesda tweeted, it looks like a solid mount formed into the helmet. Im pretty sure there is a few seconds of footage of the new T60 armour with the light on from the E3 conference.

Progress continues on. Spent a good bit of time this weekend cleaning up seam lines, spot checking and cleaning up the detail lines some. Almost done on one of the cheek areas, need to finish up the other side. Still lots of little tid bit things to do, but as you can see, it won't be much longer.

pa lid 1.jpg

pa lid 2.jpg

pa lid 3.jpg

pa lid 4.jpg

pa lid 5.jpg

pa lid 6.jpg

The visor area is now cleaned up enough for me to start making the visor. I'll be printing that in the next day or two.

Last edited:

Alrighty, a small update on the T51-b helmet here. Been moving along with some of the smaller parts, as well as beginning to finalize the main helmet. A few of the smaller elements are pretty much ready to cast, and a couple of them just need some slight clean up to get them mold ready as well. The parts that are ready are fitting into their respective key slots well. I've also begun cleaning out all the little pilot holes for the rivets. Once I finally get a chance to get some more silicone, I'll start molding up the parts that are ready.

20151027_154802.jpg

20151027_154902.jpg

20151027_155229.jpg

Still a little seam work to do on the main helmet, and as mentioned, cleaning out pilot depressions. I spent most of last weekend working on cleaning out the detail lines, as well as working further on the cheek areas.

20151027_154847.jpg

20151027_154929.jpg

A couple of parts are actually being revised. I am going to re print the head lamp assembly, as I made some changes to how the two parts of the head lamp assembly will fit together, basically keying them together so they line up just right. Another part I revised was the lens thingy on the optics bracket. Originally it was set up as one piece, however I separated the actual lens from the piece and printed them separately. The lens part of it is already being casted, but the part the lens fits into still needs a little clean up. You can see below, however, that they fit together well. Overall I think it will look more realistic this way.

20151027_155156.jpg

Last edited:

Quick update here. The main shell to the T-51b helmet is almost done. Very minor spot check, pretty much a couple spots I missed on the last round of clean up. That said, I'll be making the mold for this main shell within the month.

almost done.jpg

It's getting so close I can taste it.

Last edited:

Got the visor printed and fitted for the T51-b helmet. Gonna work this week to get it smoothed out and ready to cast.

20151103_153152.jpg

Last edited:

Well, the main shell for the first helmet, T-51b, is mastered.

Hoping to have a batch of silicone within the next two weeks. In the meantime, I'll be finishing up the last of the parts that fit into or on the main shell. I also need to print the lower hoses still. I did manage to smooth up the visor, and it's looking great. Fits like a glove.

Anyhow, progress continues. I know it's taking quite a while, but it's chugging along. I'll have some more pics soon. Enjoy.

20151116_111712.jpg

20151116_111737.jpg

20151116_111804.jpg

20151116_111818.jpg

Last edited:

GhostMinion would you be willing to sell the files you used to 3D print this? I would love to get my hands on this files and start my own build. Thanks

GhostMinion would you be willing to sell the files you used to 3D print this? I would love to get my hands on this files and start my own build. Thanks

I'm afraid not. I am however doing a run of casts of the helmet. There is a Project Runs thread going if your interested. :)

parts.jpg

Casting up the first batch of smaller parts for the T-51b helmet. These are the parts that have already been fitted to the main master. Please ignore the flashing, I'll be cleaning all that up soon. I have a few other parts that I need to make molds for, and a few that still need to be finished. The lower hoses still need to be printed altogether. Aside from the other parts needing to be fitted to the main helmet, the main helmet itself is ready, and once the very last of the smaller fitting parts has been properly fitted, I'll start finally making the mold for it.

Anyhow, stay tuned. The wait has been long, the journey has been challenging. But at long last casting has begun. While casting will go on for some time, it's just a matter of time. I grow ever anxious to finally have myself a Power Armor helmet.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back