Fallout 3 AER9 Laser Rifle Build Thread - FINISHED

re: Fallout AER9 Laser Rifle Build Thread

Coming along well - this is a build I'm quite familiar with!

Only one thing concerns me, and I'd like to point it out before you get to far along into the construction to correct it. The hole for the MF cell is actually on the left side of the gun.

4407239526_a9d4a341bb_z.jpg

I suppose this could be like a left-handed rifle where the casing eject is on the opposite side, but just wanted to let you know.

Keep up the good work!

Coming along well - this is a build I'm quite familiar with!

Only one thing concerns me, and I'd like to point it out before you get to far along into the construction to correct it. The hole for the MF cell is actually on the left side of the gun.

I saw that as well and thought the images was flipped for some reason.

You gentlemen are both correct. In fact, the images are flipped; they're off my computer's webcam. All images are in reverse - they're mirror images of the actual prop.

Thanks, though. I would be sorely disappointed if I made it on the wrong side, lol.

Volpin, I could use a few pointers;

1. How did you make the lip around the stock? I was thinking balsa, but it's hard to work with and won't hold up.
2. Same with the smaller lip just behind the trigger. Identical material, I'd guess?
3. Is your microfusion cell functional? What parts were used to make the little details on the left side of the gun?

Thanks, Mockle.

So not terribly exciting, but I got some work done on the breech today. No MF cell...my lathe broke my first attempt. I need to use some MDF next time, the pine wasn't a good option.

Photoon2011-01-22at2312.jpg

I just finished that game and this was the gun that was my favorite. I remember finding better guns but it just didn't feel the same. This replica is off to a very good start. I want to see the post-it note on the back of the gun as well!!! Anyone figure out what it said?

That's the AER14, mentioned earlier. The note says:

Focus: 1064 nm, 532 nm (SHG), 8.18pm !!!

Everybody like my Microfusion Cell?

Photoon2011-01-23at1618.jpg

:lol

This is just the start. I'll have another update coming up quick - I got some of the fine details done on the side of the rifle done today too.

Photoon2011-01-23at20442.jpg

Photoon2011-01-23at2045.jpg

The Microfusion cell still isn't 100% done, as I do have some filling to do, but it's close. It looks really good, and it's the right size - it's a fun little piece.

I also did some work on the nonfunctional locking mechanism on the left side of the rifle, so take a look at that.

Photoon2011-01-23at2046.jpg

Photoon2011-01-23at20462.jpg

And here's my AER9 as it is right now.

Photoon2011-01-23at2048.jpg

This is starting to get really exciting. I'm pretty pleased with it so far, but it actually looks farther along than it is. I still have a lot of filing and sanding to do, so wish me luck.

Enjoy!

Looking mighty fine! Wish I had the skill to attempt a build like this *sigh*

You do; believe me. All it takes is effort, the willingness to scrap parts that aren't up to par, and most of all, time. This isn't a particularly difficult build, it's just fussy. Believe it or not, this is my first time working with MDF, so my carpentry skills are getting a real workout.

This looks absolutely fantastic! You really do have a great amount of skill and patience to make something of this quality.

Tell me, on your interest thread at the Junkyard, are the copies that you are planning to sell made of Resin? If so, would the whole thing already be pre-made were I to order one, or would it be in two separate pieces that I would have to glue or otherwise join together?

Also, are you planning on doing any more of these in wood to sell off of the Junkyard? Perhaps something to look into.

Sorry that I couldn't post this on the Junkyard, but I'm a new member and can't - kind of a lame feature, but I can understand why the admins did it.

This looks absolutely fantastic! You really do have a great amount of skill and patience to make something of this quality.

Tell me, on your interest thread at the Junkyard, are the copies that you are planning to sell made of Resin? If so, would the whole thing already be pre-made were I to order one, or would it be in two separate pieces that I would have to glue or otherwise join together?

Also, are you planning on doing any more of these in wood to sell off of the Junkyard? Perhaps something to look into.

Sorry that I couldn't post this on the Junkyard, but I'm a new member and can't - kind of a lame feature, but I can understand why the admins did it.

Thanks for your kind words. Would you believe this is my first major carpentry project?

I have some other projects on the bench right now that people have already paid for...but we'll see about getting this molded. If it came to molding - I still have to find someone to mold it for me, mind you - then it'd probably be in one piece in resin. Making them in wood is a long, delicate procedure, and one which I'm not really all that likely to repeat unless someone was willing to pay me for the 50+ hours labor - at minimum wage, already $375 before parts and paint.

my second favorite fallout 3 weapon... sweet!
very awesome for your first carpentry project. love it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back