Fallout 3 AER9 Laser Rifle Build Thread - FINISHED

re: Fallout AER9 Laser Rifle Build Thread

i'm going to probably use particle board for mine since its only 3.00 for 4' lol. i can cover it in sheet styrene. heck for the main part you could probably get a small fence post of something if you want realistic weight to it.

Thanks, Rikarus. It means a lot!

Particle board is kinda iffy - it likes to splinter. The MDF, while a bit spendier, machines really nicely and it's also very solid, and it doesn't flex.

As for the stand - I was thinking an old fence post, actually, for the backing, so it looks all beat up and old.

Suprisingly i got this particle board and it's sealed so there are no splinters when you cut it, maybe because it's meant to be shelving. I know the other particle board was nasty looking.

Wes, are you sure that was particle board? The stuff in the Midwest is all pretty poor quality. How thick is it? 1/4"?

Proportions are looking good, now if only it falls into some silicone when done :D

Well, I'll have to be careful around all of these barrels of uncured silicone in my basement. :lol

In all seriousness, if there's enough interest generated for me to recoup the costs of molding this thing, I'd be happy to do it - but I'll have to look at how much silicone's gonna be.

The other thing is that this thing is not perfectly smooth at the joints. My filling compound is kinda nasty to sand, and so while I just call it "weathered," collectors who expect a clean version might not be too happy. It's also not 100% accurate, because I've been changing minor things from the blueprints to be able to tell that it's my work in the future if someone ends up recasting me. For instance, though it will be impossible to see because of the way I did it, the barrel isn't perfectly square, so that'll be one of several "tells" I worked into it. Some people might not be happy with them, so I'm still undecided about casting it.

not sure. it was called particle board lol. i'll have to find the recipe or get a pic of it.

Ok. I'm working with 1/2 MDF, which one has to be a little careful with because of the glue used to seal the MDF in the factory. It's supposedly a carcinogen, so I have to wear a mask whenever I do cutting. It's a great wood to work with, though - no grain, no knots, and it's great for simple machining like routing.

you should wear a filter all the time. I swear the smallest dust and i get sick. yeah this stuff is super smooth and slides on the table saw like it's greased.

you should wear a filter all the time. I swear the smallest dust and i get sick. yeah this stuff is super smooth and slides on the table saw like it's greased.

Yep, new piece of equipment makes the job much nicer to do.

It's nice when machining works out properly, isn't it?

pretty sick man!

Thanks. I'm glad so many people are interested in this!

So all day yesterday, I was busy making this:
Photoon2011-01-19at10232.jpg

That's the front, or "big" barrel, from which the support rod (the last piece I have to make) will extend from. I routed all the corners of that, and I made some progress on the main rifle too:

Photoon2011-01-19at1024.jpg

I cut right through my scrawled notes on the dimensions of certain pieces cut long ago to make room for the barrel vent. I ended up cutting an angle into the end pieces of these, so they fit flush. As you can see, in addition, the barrel is now all accurately rounded as well.

We're getting close, folks.

Photoon2011-01-19at1339.jpg

As you can see, I've attached the "beard" to the mouth of the barrel, and glued the assembly on to the rest of the rifle. The beard is roughcut right now - I'll trim it down once I have the dowel lathed to fit. Right now, the only major structure missing is the dowel, though I'll still have to do the microfusion cell. I have some lathing to do coming up here pretty quick, I think.

Powerade bottle for scale, of course.

lol. all the aer 14 is is a 9 with some wires exposed according to the wiki. and the wood i have is called PB (particle board) shelving but the stuff is so smooth that if feels like normal wood. it slides over the metal of the tablesaw like nothing i've seen and really makes little dust. I think it's about one step from the stuff you're using. and for the price i can't argue (3.00 a board before my mom's discount). my folks think i'm nuts to buy 3 shelves at a time lol. i stain/seal them from moisture and stack them up since i never know when i need wood or shelves. i think one 4' board would make the gun for the most part.

I'd take one of each, i'm not fussy :p Looking very good so far!

Definitely not a problem. ;)

Wes, that sounds like it's working out. Have you started your rifle yet? I'd start with the barrel...the stock's pretty difficult to work with.

what did you make that out of? no i got too many projects to finish before i start more lol. I still need to find a place to print out the plans for me anyhow.

what did you make that out of? no i got too many projects to finish before i start more lol. I still need to find a place to print out the plans for me anyhow.

It started life as a 7/8" dowel, and got a makeover on my lathe.

Here's another update for everyone.

So after filing down the receiver for the rear end of the dowel so it'd fit flush, I glued the support rod in place.

Photoon2011-01-21at17082.jpg

As you can see, this is really starting to look like an AER9. I've started the rear detailing on the barrel, and tomorrow I'll make the microfusion cell.

Enjoy!

Photoon2011-01-21at1707.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back