Failed Rebound 25 Mold

Jason Gray

I recently tried making a silicone mold with Rebound 25 and made an error at some point and the silicone will not cure.....is there any way to remove the silicone while salvaging the sculpture underneath

Links to any products would be awesome as well

Isopropanol is good for cleaning off uncured silicone. What is the sculpture made from? I clean brushes used to apply silicon with is to. I get mine on Ebay.

Last edited:
I have ruined molds with too much thicker and it ruins curing.

I have tried to same the molds, but usually starting over yields the best results especially if you are going to make a lot of pulls. It is no fun fighting a bad mold over and over.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I plan to make multiple pulls

and of course I would mess up my first mold lol

but its all good and I will keep at it I just want to save what I can of the sculpt...but if I cant I'm willing to start over but will still need to find a way to cleanly remove the silicone

I used a cotton rag and 93% Isopropyl Alcohol and scrubbed down the surface....while it did cause some damage to the sculpt I was able to fix it without any problem....I dare say it looks almost better then before!!

Well.....after looking at the pictures it still needs a little TLC but all and all its still a win in my eyes.......will attempt molding again soon....Wish me luck lol :) 102_0565.JPG102_0566.JPG

Jason,
Do yourself a couple of things:
1. put some silicone over a small section of the clay to make sure there is no contamination from the clay factory... though it doesn't happen to often, it does sometimes happen... they make sulfur and non-sulfur clays in the same building....
2. Don't put thickener in the first two coats of the Rebound!!!! Let them cure before adding a third and fourth thickened coats... (as mentioned, watch the amount you add)
3. Seal the clay with some Krylon Crystal Clear.. might make your life easier in the long run!

Beaker

Will do....I just ordered some more Rebound 25 and will be trying all that you mentioned....thanks for the advice :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OOMOO I don't think is the right silicone for this.... first it isn't a brush-on, second, the tear strength isn't the greatest....

Its been awhile since I gave my last update.....so heres my first ever casting of Deathstroke

SNC00500 (2).jpg

I will be sculpting a new version soon to make it more accurate with possibly a Black Mask helmet to follow

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back